Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Moving away from Palm Treo after many years
    I have been a treo user since the Treo 300 (Handspring) since than me and my Wife purchased every treo including palm os and windows os,
    After waiting forever for the treo 800w with wifi and GPS I was so excited to use the standalone GPS that after being one of the first to purchase the 800 again, I was very pleased until
    1: found out about the Treo Pro coming out around the corner and
    2: GPS Standalone
    I could not be leave that I could not use my tom-tom that me and my wife had used for years because only the Google maps and sprint navigation only could use the Standalone GPS, the end-user” myself” was not allowed to use the Standalone GPS with tom-tom or any app that I would rather use. That was so frustrating and seeing that other phones were flying past palm with technology this was it for me,
    I did not want to carry around my Bluetooth GPS anymore; I wanted to just carry the phone, what a joke that was.
    One of the biggest selling point for Treo is this Forum Treocentral has been a great resource for Treo users and myself and the people on the Forum are wonderful, I am going to miss this forum very much since everyone is up on what’s going on with the phone,
    Also cant believe how long Palm take on getting the technology out to the consumers ? all the other phone companies are passing them fast like the Iphone, HTC, and now Blackberry for a few with full GPS and WiFi, I’m very disappointed with Palm..
    I have decided to go with the new HTC Touch Pro, even though I don’t like the slide out keyboard the HTC Technology moves and moves quickly, in one month the have release the Pro on all 3 carriers Sprint, ATT and next week Verizon.
    Can you see palm doing that?? I don’t
    This way we can purchase the same phones for all the staff that have different carriers since some locations other carriers work better than others we can use one phone ….
    I really liked Palm Treo the GPS issues was my last straw..
    Enjoy
    Mark
    You are not alone my friend. These threads have been popping up lately. Palm is in serious trouble and the 800 did not help matters. In fact it made things worse. My former 700wx was such a work horse. That was the Palm I was familiar with and wanted more of. The fanboys will trash the Touch Pro and even the Treo Pro. Don't listen and get what you want.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Agree with RedGT, the 800w is the last Palm or Treo device for me. It has been my company and phone of choice for years. The 800w shows too many lame ideas and a rush to market, my last one. I spent extensive time on Friday looking and testing the Touch Pro, very impressed.

After talking with the Sprint store manager he said Touch Pro would be his first choice. When he saw my 800 he rolled his eyes. Don't think you will see Sprint pushing Palm too much in the future unless the Treo Pro turns out to be a killer device?

I am doing everything I can to get Sprint to exchange my 800w to the point of telling them I am going to take 8 unlimited lines and 2 Sprint cards elsewhere. I have the only device that has the 2 year extension and we will gladly pay the price.

I am checking other cell services, would love to hear other thoughts about cell providers other than Sprint?
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    I am moving on as well. I have the Treo Pro, I like it alot. I miss the browsing experience of the iphone (but dont like it as a phone). I randomly picked up an G1 two days ago on my way out of Chipotle, I thought I would hate it, I love it. If I get signal comverage on Monday at work, I am keeping G1. Sad day for my Treo life. The Treo Pro is almost perfect but the browser and now the cracks...
    Ditto. 800W = last Treo for sure.
    Red, I agree and to tell you the truth I was a happy 650 owner, thought I would upgrade to a 800, was pretty excited. Now going to be a former Palm user forever.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    You are not alone my friend. These threads have been popping up lately. Palm is in serious trouble and the 800 did not help matters. In fact it made things worse. My former 700wx was such a work horse. That was the Palm I was familiar with and wanted more of. The fanboys will trash the Touch Pro and even the Treo Pro. Don't listen and get what you want.
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    Mark, I don't blame you one bit and for many of us the 800w probably will be the end of the line with Palm.
    The train left the station a long time ago. Hardcore palm users of the past switched to rimm or apple for their mobile devices. All we are seeing now are palm`s last ditch efforts to turn even small profits. They are still losing more and more each year. Game`s over.
    Me to I went from 700wx to the Mogul, because I found a good deal on the Mogul at a Compusa going out store sale. Then a Blackerry 8330, I needed the touch screen and the 800w had just came out. I thought great, but no its not.

MY point: I think the problem we have is that we held palm and the Treo Windows line to such high expectation from the 700wx, that when it came out being subpar we hold it as a horrible phone. To the 800w is run of the mill. Its not great, but its not bad. Its ok; which makes it disappointing because it came from Palm; I expected alot more.

It would be like a Volvo that pass federal crash standards, but score the same as Honda.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Good for you. Palm sucks. As we approach the 10% mark in the 21st Century, Im gonna say the whole Android/Google thing, though still in it's infancy, will be the death knell for Palm. Unless Ed Colligan miraculously pulls his head out of his a**.

You Listening, Ed? H Hello? Can you hear me now...
    Pushing the Boundaries of Disorganization
    I've always been a Palm fan and have had every Palm device released by Sprint since the 650. The 800w is such a colossal failure that not even Sprint employees have anything good to say about it. So sad that my 16 month old Mogul runs cirlces around the 800w (and the Mogul is far from perfect) in most ways.

I'll look at the Treo Pro since it was designed and produced by HTC and not Palm, but that's the only way that Palm will get any more of my money.
    It's no secret that the 800w was left out of Sprint's holiday marketing piece. Even the brand new Touch Pro and 128MB Centros were featured in that.

I am trying the Touch Pro at the moment, but unless the battery improves significantly, I don't think I can keep it. If I do send it back, it will be my 700wx, NOT the 800w, that gets activated.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    It's no secret that the 800w was left out of Sprint's holiday marketing piece. Even the brand new Touch Pro and 128MB Centros were featured in that.

I am trying the Touch Pro at the moment, but unless the battery improves significantly, I don't think I can keep it. If I do send it back, it will be my 700wx, NOT the 800w, that gets activated.

Yea, I got that mailer from Sprint.

I suspect I'll probably be the future owner of some future HTC device once I'm done with my 800w.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by groupsix View Post
    Good for you. Palm sucks. As we approach the 10% mark in the 21st Century, Im gonna say the whole Android/Google thing, though still in it's infancy, will be the death knell for Palm. Unless Ed Colligan miraculously pulls his head out of his a**.

You Listening, Ed? H Hello? Can you hear me now...
    I'm not saying that Palm sucks,
    I'm just very dissapointed that they are not taking advantage of the market which I think they had all the right stuff to do so, its just poor management the treo's were everywhere they just sat on it for soooooo long playing with a new palm os Big Mistake since google created a Linux OS in 1/16 of the time that Palm has been creating a new os for Palm this is what I don't understand ....
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post

Yea, I got that mailer from Sprint.

I suspect I'll probably be the future owner of some future HTC device once I'm done with my 800w.
    My contract is up in 13 days. I can try anything on any network. Sprint is the only one that works with its customers so I doubt I will leave. They have been real good to me over the years. I may go play with the Touch Pro today. I hate going into the store with the 800 though. A few of my friends run it and its always "You still have that piece of ****. Isn't that like your 3rd one!" They have the HTC models now (they all tried the 800). I like the front face keyboards over sliders.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gibby View Post
    ...since google created a Linux OS in 1/16 of the time that Palm has been creating a new os for Palm this is what I don't understand ....
    I'm sure Google had started work on Android a long time before any of us got to hear of it They also have far more resources than Palm so I would expect them to be able to produce something quicker
  17.    #17  
    My contract is up in 13 days. I can try anything on any network. Sprint is the only one that works with its customers so I doubt I will leave. They have been real good to me over the years. I may go play with the Touch Pro today. I hate going into the store with the 800 though. A few of my friends run it and its always "You still have that piece of ****. Isn't that like your 3rd one!" They have the HTC models now (they all tried the 800). I like the front face keyboards over sliders.
    I like Sprint as well I don't understand why so many are leaving,
    as for the slide out keyboard I don't like it eather but I Guess I'm going to have to get used to it
    Mark
    I'm still pretty Sprint loyal, but not at all Palm loyal.

I tell my "friends" to consider the HTC Touch Pro, because I would not dare want my "friends" to endure the added hassles and expense of the 800w. I've already spent the money and got custom 800w equipment, so I might as well keep it a while, but it's likely the end of the line for me with Palm.
    A few of my friends run it and its always "You still have that piece of ****. Isn't that like your 3rd one!" They have the HTC models now (they all tried the 800).
    So true. LOL

I agree with you on the front keyboards vs. sliders as well as never wanting to leave Sprint. My plan is a joke when you think about how much I get for so little a price. No other carrier could match my plan for twice the price and most are at least three times the price!
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    I'm sure Google had started work on Android a long time before any of us got to hear of it They also have far more resources than Palm so I would expect them to be able to produce something quicker
    And they've got the advantage of learning from mistakes made by others.

But the enormous financial size of Google certainly helps them big time.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast