Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    A real problem for we 800w owners with so much attention to the Treo Pro and Touch Pro, to the point some other sites don't even have an 800w forum, is that their issues are going to get way more attention and assistance.
    You are right, but the what iwll be an ever growing proportionality in user bases isn't an unkown. We know in six months there will be a boatload more Touch Pro and Treo Pro users than 800w users. They are more advanced devices*. But that is pretty much a simple fact that we all could have guessed.

To anyone claiming the Treo Pro is merely "different" and not more advanced, do the following logical tests:

a) Odds are above 90% we will see a CDMA treo Pro.
    b) What are the odds we we will see a GSM 800w?

a) There is demonstrably clamoring, inquires and interest in the CDMA Treo Pro.
    b) How much clamoring, inquires and interest is there in a GSM 800w?

a) how many would prefer an 800w that was 30% thinner with 30% or more extra battery life
    b) how many would prefer a Treo Pro that was 30% thicker with 25% less battery life?
    I hope Palm/HTC has the Treo Pro cracked casing issue fixed before it's released on CDMA. My buddy is returning is cracked Treo Pro today for a new one then selling it for the HTC Fuze.

If Sprint came out with the Treo Pro first on CDMA the Palm boards would be so much lighter. We would be getting a new device after a month with a cracked housing. Probably a good thing. I'd take a new one again. Yes I would take a less thicker device and 30% more battery life.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I find it odd that so many people are so upset with the 800w. I am not going to jump up on a pedestal and claim that the device is perfect. I still have my iPhone cause I communicate with AT&T customers that don't have unlimited calling or texting, but to be honest I have thought about just going to my 800w.

I have been a huge Palm fan ever since the Treo 180. I thought the idea was sound but needed improvements. The 600 was fun but had a few faults and then Palm gave us the 650. I liked it, it did what I wanted to at the time and for the most part I had great luck with it. I went from there to a 700w and then a 750 with AT&T. I liked my 750 but there was a lot that I was unable to do that I can now do with my 800w.

I do feel that Palm needs to address several issues and I think that a lot of the problems can be solved by some good software updates. Speaker Phone, GPS issue are the biggest in my opinion. The speaker phone isn't huge cause I have my BlueAnt on all day anyway, the GPS is annoying but I found some software and took the time to play and I have TomTom 7 running like a champ. I honestly don't know if I could be totally happy if I bought a phone and everything was perfect right out of the box cause then what would I do with it? It would run great and I would have nothing to tinker with.

Seeing the awesome price that I pay for my 800w is really what leads to be consider being a one phone person if it wasn't for the AT&T customers. I think I would actually be rather happy with the Treo. I played with the TP, hell I sell Sprint as part of my job, and I actually am not a fan at all. The screen is awesome and the specs are great, but I don't like the glossy finish and the sliding keyboard. I won't complain or trash the TP though cause for some people, my girl included the TP is the best phone out there. I think that there were a lot of us that were expecting much more from the 800w and when it didn't totally deliver we were disappointed and lashed out.

Well thats my ramblings anyway, its nice to be back on Treocentral but it doesn't feel like the Treo site I used to visit, everyone seems so much more critical nowadays.
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Hi iramike,

Consider the comment that starts this thread. Someone who had a real need for stand alone GPS, purchased especially for stand alone GPS and found the product does not function as advertised. And that's the story for several who are dumping the 800w. This product in my opinion and that of several others was falsely advertised. And typically, we're used to a slightly more concerned response from Palm when issues are discovered, but with the GPS issue, Palm proclaims no problem at all exists. Which for many of us is an insult, for Palm to claim such. You recognize there is an issue in the area of GPS that needs a resolution, but many are very upset because Palm won't actually admit it as a corporate statement. Which has left them hassled in efforts to invoke the 1 year warranty. Having to go make BBB complaints just for Palm to listen, which results in refund, but at added hassle for the consumer. So Palm is not giving any comfort to those upset about the issue until they go as far as to denounce Palm's reputation to a 3rd party. Many Treos have had issues, but Palm could have responded differently to acknowledge a problem existed and that they would do all they could to resolve it. That would have gone a long way.

VRGT has been through so many 800w's, that I lost count. I'm on my 2nd personally speaking. Many got 800w's that had major defects out of the box. I know with my first, Sprint support after working with me declared I had a dud. I guess off that experience I could have said no way to another 800w, but some others left off that. I know if I was VRGT, I'd probably already be gone, I mean 1 dud I was understanding about, but not more than 1. VRGT has his device stable at this point, but his time with the 800w has been a less than pleasant experience.

Then there are music aficionados, who have owned Treo's in the past and Palm has provided a 3.5mm headset adapter, but has not with the 800w. This while being a little thing, is a big impression maker. Over 80% responding want some sort of 3.5mm jack access. (Results were similar in an earlier poll that asked a slightly different question.) And while things like the BT3030 are a viable option, that increases the total cost of ownership by about $50, for a device that already does not do all it was advertised to do.

There are people who are seeing the paint rub off their devices not long after buying. Which didn't occur for them with prior Treos.

With all these concerns, if Palm were a little more understanding in their response to complaints, it would go a long way. But people are seeing the Treo Pro was released just after they purchased the 800w and the Treo Pro is getting wonderful support. Complaints about cracks on Treo Pros, Palm is already on the case and a fix is coming. That's a big difference in customer service.

Can't say I was expecting a perfect device, but if all was perfect, I'd be very happy. I definitely was expecting the device to have the advertised features, but for me stand alone GPS is not as needed as it is for some others. The 800w was the first advertised stand alone GPS Treo, so a good number of GPS aficionados purchased it on that feature mainly.

As I've mentioned in another thread, the best way to end this sort of thing is to wait a while after a product's release. To see how it really performs.
    There's that thread with a poll that asks if we'd buy a device early, or first day release. I recommend waiting 6mos, watching the forums and then decide.
    I know that doesn't help much now, but it will help next time to hold back the impulse.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    There's that thread with a poll that asks if we'd buy a device early, or first day release. I recommend waiting 6mos, watching the forums and then decide.
    I know that doesn't help much now, but it will help next time to hold back the impulse.
    6 months, wow, I guess that would ensure one knows all there is to know about a device. But me being one who is just getting beyond "1st day" buying, I can't say I could wait 6 months. 1-3 months I can do. But I guess if someone can hold out 6 months, they'll get a sweet deal buying one on Ebay .
    D, extremely well put. I think if Palm announced a patch to fix some of these I doubt these threads would exist. All that is needed is an announcement at this point and a time frame. The lack of support is not helping Palm one bit. You can't treat customers like this. Its hard enough to get repeat business as it is. People only remember the bad.

It is true that many of us have had more than one device already in just a few months. Even as crappy as the Mogul is I never had to replace it (had it for a year). It took only 9 days for my 800 to break (radio was toast). The poor quality and lack of support is unacceptable. We are not saying the 800 is all bad. The form factor is great, keyboard great, speed is great, etc.

On top of all this the competition is putting real nice devices out. HTC has brought a few new items to the game. Stuff Palm will not deliver for a long time. VGA screen, 3.2 MP Camera, including 1 GIG Memory card in the box and more. They also got Google into the game with the G1 (probably will demolish 800 sales). HTC is doing it right and doing it cheaper. I know the HTC name is like the Devil on here to some people. Hell they even make the Treo Pro so you got to give them props. They are making money unlike Palm who loses by double digits each year. It is very sad when a company owns the market then gets complacent. I hope they can turn it around but with today's state of the economy I don't see it happening.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    VRGT has been through so many 800w's, that I lost count. I'm on my 2nd personally speaking. Many got 800w's that had major defects out of the box. I know with my first, Sprint support after working with me declared I had a dud. I guess off that experience I could have said no way to another 800w, but some others left off that. I know if I was VRGT, I'd probably already be gone, I mean 1 dud I was understanding about, but not more than 1. VRGT has his device stable at this point, but his time with the 800w has been a less than pleasant experience.

You know a lot about VRGT- you must also know that he left for a BB after a slow start with the treo- and then came back to the 800w knowing that his issues had not been addressed.

The real intersting part is that he actually complained about the treo more when he had the BB!

Not so say that you guys arent allowed to be pissed. But come on...

LA
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    , but it will help next time to hold back the impulse.
    Respectfully, buying based on a feature prominently advertised by palm near the top of its feature list, and being angry that Palm did not have it functioning, is not regret based on "impulse."

This is a very specific assurance and promotion from a major corporation with expertise and history in its field.

The customers are not buying from the back of a truck, they are not buying from some generic maker, they are buying technology from a company supposedly leading in its field and with one of the longest histories in its field.

Buying a Treo from Palm could be seen as the opposite of impulse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    You know a lot about VRGT- you must also know that he left for a BB after a slow start with the treo- and then came back to the 800w knowing that his issues had not been addressed.

The real intersting part is that he actually complained about the treo more when he had the BB!

LA
    I came back to the 800 because at the time I was paying extra for the BB plan (not anymore), was still paying monthly for Exchange service and I really missed Windows (have a lot of programs for it). The Touch Pro was not out at the time or I would have went that route.

I don't remember *****ing even more about the 800 when I had the Curve but you may have been right. At the time my Curve had stellar battery life, sick audio earpiece quality, excellent GPS and more. I was shocked how poorly in these areas the 800 was compared to it. After time I really missed Windows. Honestly the BB Curve worked to well.

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Respectfully, buying based on a feature prominently advertised by palm near the top of its feature list, and being angry that Palm did not have it functioning, is not regret based on "impulse."

This is a very specific assurance and promotion from a major corporation with expertise and history in its field.

The customers are not buying from the back of a truck, they are not buying from some generic maker, they are buying technology from a company supposedly leading in its field and with one of the longest histories in its field.

Buying a Treo from Palm could be seen as the opposite of impulse.

Maybe it was my word choice....
    Sorry, I really didn't mean to imply that those who bought the 800 shouldn't of bought on 'impulse' (bad word I guess )

Let me try to elaborate and clarify;
    I, Myself will hopefully hold back from 'impulse' to buy.
    Do I buy on impulse? Sure I do, and so do many others.
    Long lines at New Releases, Pre-Orders, Next day shipping, etc.
    I knew full well, 2-3 years ago I'd be in a better position if I bought my device 6mos or more after release (if nothing else to avoid being these mfgs beta tester)

I, by no means, was saying that we get what we deserve from wanting the device now. And the Standalone Vs aGps was a definite "False Advertisement"

Like I said; this doesn't help us now, but I did learn something from the pain ones are feeling. I will Not buy a New device until I hang around these forums for awhile.

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding.
    Just call me Berd.
    6 months, wow, I guess that would ensure one knows all there is to know about a device. But me being one who is just getting beyond "1st day" buying, I can't say I could wait 6 months. 1-3 months I can do. But I guess if someone can hold out 6 months, they'll get a sweet deal buying one on Ebay .
    I waited a year after the 750 was released before I bought.
    $100 from Att.
    It was so boring - because by that time, everyone had moved on.
    A week could go by, and not one post in the 750 forum

But hey, most if not all bugs were gone.
    Just call me Berd.
    I'm also done with palm. Treo 800w will be my last treo, i'm already sizing up the market for a new phone. I started from the 600 and got every treo from then on.
    Hope this clears up any misunderstanding.
    It does and thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post

LA
    Les, you forgot to mention I also have a BB Curve and although it has been more reliable I still enjoy the 800w more. Someone mentioned they could not understand why so many are upset, I explained. I didn't just make those statements off the cuff. And you're going to see a whole lot of posts like the one that initiated this thread, till Palm decides to step up the game a little. I didn't start it, I just took a moment to explain why this thread exists.

I will Not buy a New device until I hang around these forums for awhile.
    You are a wise man with great self control. This is why you won't be played for a sucker in the marketplace by anybody.

I waited a year after the 750 was released before I bought.
    $100 from Att.
    It was so boring - because by that time, everyone had moved on.
    A week could go by, and not one post in the 750 forum

But hey, most if not all bugs were gone.
    I can do this with video games. I'm still on PS2, buying games for cheap that others are done playing . Have not been able to do it with smart phones yet, but the 800w has helped me in the restraint department in terms of smart phones, because never again do I plan to buy day one. I actually waited till the end of the first sales day to buy, thinking I could see if anything popped up . The statements about GPS were mixed that first day, some saying it was defective and others saying it was configuration settings and such. Back then I figured the GPS talkers were mistaken... But waiting a while longer always helps clear things up, as to what is really borken and what is working properly.

I've made no moves to dump the 800w, besides I've already purchased various equipment customized for it and to accommodate for its issues, but it's better to know what you're getting into. You're doing the right thing to wait.

Honestly speaking, I had to stop recommending the 800w to friends. I'd never put them through the hassles.
    I ment in the future. I didn't hold out with the Pro - I had to get in on all the excitement. Like I said; it was boring over in the 750 forum.
    I've been fortunate to not have any cracks yet.
    But if I did, i'd be kicking myself. I feel for those who are fighting palm.
    I ment in the future. I didn't hold out with the Pro - I had to get in on all the excitement. Like I said; it was boring over in the 750 forum.
    I've been fortunate to not have any cracks yet.
    But if I did, i'd be kicking myself. I feel for those who are fighting palm.
    I am under the impression that Palm is replacing them quickly. I think at first people had a problem but once a pattern was established Palm understood they have to replace them.

If palm were to give any problems, the would be a perfect case for the Better Business Bureau. The complexities of subsidy make refund of purchase price complex on subsidized handsets but on unsubsidized handsets like the current GSM Pro, purchase price is an objective number and a full refund or replacement makes the consumer nearly whole.

Don't forget, odds are that Palm is already charging these costs back to HTC and isn't losing much by replacing the defective units.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post

Don't forget, odds are that Palm is already charging these costs back to HTC and isn't losing much by replacing the defective units.
    Well there are things like Palm's reputation, that takes a hit and didn't need another hit at a time their stock is in the dump. What HTC devices marketed with the HTC brand have had these cracking problems? Not saying anything was done intentionally, but this is like a perfect means for Palm to take a final death nail and HTC to rise even higher.

There's also overhead of Palm managing this issue.

It could not have come at a worse time for Palm. Arguably, this is costing Palm a great deal.

But at least the Treo Pro folks are getting a respectable response.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    As someone without an 800w I am not sure I can comment as well, but let me throw my 2c in about palm. I am on vzw, had a 650 that I LOVED! I was dying for the 800, but my650 crapped out on me in July after 3 years. I waited 2 more months in hopes of vzw releasing the 800, using a old flip phone. Finally, couldn't wait any longer without a smartphone. Got a BB curve off of craigslist for cheap to hold me over till an 800 release!

Well, I am not drinking that cool aid anymore. I have given up on vzw releasing the 800! But instead of waiting on that, I am really psyched about the Samsung Omnia and Saga (770). The Saga looks like a great treo. I posted an uboxing video of it in the 770/saga sub thread in this forum. It's about .5" too long for my liking, or I would jump on it. I am waiting for the real reviews to come in about battery life, etc., but this looks like what the 800w should have been. The Omnia is a touchscreen no kybd, same as storm, and while I had been very against touchscreen only device, the size of the screen really makes it appealing while browsing web sites, which I am doing more and more. It used to be on my 650 that I would run just apps (like DA), but now more apps are web based and will take advantage of more screen. You can only get that with either touchscreen only or slider (and I don't like sliders).

What's my point after all this rambling? I would have loved to get a new Treo! But there are a whole slew of options available now with the same functionality, Samsung, HTC, and I believe they are making the HW less relevant (it runs WM), so if Palm can't stay in on the race, sorry to say, goodbye!
    I think VZW and Palm have had a falling out, lol. Well, at least they got the Centro.

The Saga is a really cool device & a nice substitute, but as Dieter and I mentioned in the podcast..they come so close to nailing it, but then do some goofy things (optical mouse), too square. Wish it had the epix's 1800mah battery.

Still, GSM world phone...heello Palm?

The Sprint Treo Pro should be a world phone. That'd be something to write about.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast