View Poll Results: What are you using for 3.5mm jack access?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • A BT based solution, like the Jabra BT3030.

    13 29.55%
  • Spliced wires and made my own 3.5mm wired adapter.

    3 6.82%
  • Palm 2.5mm adapter to a 2.5mm -> 3.5mm adapter.

    1 2.27%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

    2 4.55%
  • Don't use anything for 3.5mm jack access, but I desire easy 3.5mm access.

    19 43.18%
  • Don't use anything for 3.5mm jack access and don't desire to use a 3.5mm jack.

    6 13.64%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
  1.    #1  
    Just wondering how everyone is making do, in order to use their 3.5mm headphones with the Treo 800w.

    Personally speaking, I've made a level of investment into multiple sets of 3.5mm headphones, that I like and have no current plans of parting ways with.

    For now, I'm finding the Jabra BT3030 is a good means for 3.5mm jack access and it allows me to increase the volume to a nice listening level, beyond what is available with the Palm stereo headphones. Really the Jabra BT3030 can go beyond what I desire in the volume category.

    But I just want to know what everyone is using for 3.5mm jack access and perhaps someone will mention something new and different that none of us have thought of .
  2. #2  
    I have nothing. I guess I will wait for the results before pulling the trigger on something.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  3. #3  
    Do the headset splice and use your favorite stereo headphones. You can't use bluetooth when you're on a plane!
  4. #4  
    Darnell, what's the quality of the BT3030 paired up with some decent headphones?

    Unfortunately, I'm in the wait-an-see mode right now... can't splice the headphones since I plan on swapping once my 30-day TEP minimum has passed, and I'm putting off buying any accessories until I know I'm keeping this badboy.

    I've got some decent sennheiser and beyerdynamic headphones, but have no way of testing them right now, obviously the included headset is dreadful.
  5. #5  
    Other headset connection method.



    This solution also has theme song, Who Let the Dogs Out!
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
  6. #6  
    Alli, another good point about the 800w being lame, 2nd place to Palm being lame.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Do the headset splice and use your favorite stereo headphones. You can't use bluetooth when you're on a plane!
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Darnell, what's the quality of the BT3030 paired up with some decent headphones?

    Unfortunately, I'm in the wait-an-see mode right now... can't splice the headphones since I plan on swapping once my 30-day TEP minimum has passed, and I'm putting off buying any accessories until I know I'm keeping this badboy.

    I've got some decent sennheiser and beyerdynamic headphones, but have no way of testing them right now, obviously the included headset is dreadful.
    My experience with the BT3030 has been very good quality. For the most part, I use the included Jabra headphones. The quality of those is actually really good. I did try a pair of Bose and they sounded excellent. I've actually had to turn down the volume when using the BT3030 with PTunes. I've tried several headphones, some cheap some not, and the quality has been good, good bass as well. All headphones I have used have been in ear types and not cover the ear.

    I use the BT3030 with my iPod Touch as well. I can't tell much, if any, difference in quality between my iPod Touch and 800W with PTunes.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  8. #8  
    After putting my new Palm Treo 800 Universal Connectivity Wiring Device in my pocket women are flocking to me.

    One look at the size of my pocket and their hearts run wild with excitement. Its changed my life, who would think that 25 feet of wires would make a difference? I was just a lonely old dweeb and now I am the Big Man on Campus. H

    Hey guys there is a men men version too! Soon to be sold in stores everywhere!



    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Darnell, what's the quality of the BT3030 paired up with some decent headphones?

    Unfortunately, I'm in the wait-an-see mode right now... can't splice the headphones since I plan on swapping once my 30-day TEP minimum has passed, and I'm putting off buying any accessories until I know I'm keeping this badboy.

    I've got some decent sennheiser and beyerdynamic headphones, but have no way of testing them right now, obviously the included headset is dreadful.
    "Quality" being the key word in your question, I can only say the Treo 800w's BT audio "quality" is in my opinion a little sub-par. So the headphones can only carry what is given to them.

    To tell the difference in quality, here's a few things you can try if you get a BT3030:
    - Try listening to your most favorite song, do a full backup of your device, then add Hannip's A2DP hack, set it to WM6 self adjusting and listen to your favorite song again, then hard reset and restore the backup you had before applying Hannip's A2DP hack, listen to the track again. Oh, you'll tell the difference right way. This is how I noticed and unfortunately the hack causes me some compatibility issues with Kinoma Play and calls, so I can't use the hack any more and so I'm pretty bummed out about that. (The people saying that hack works wonders on the BT audio quality are very right!)

    - Try listening to your favorite song in high quality MP3 format on your PC via headphones, then transfer the song to your Treo 800w and listen with the BT3030. You'll be able to tell the loss in quality.


    Those are ways I've noticed the difference in quality.

    The wired headphones from Palm offer superior quality to BT (when not using the A2DP hack), but the volume on them is so low it defeats any benefit they offer.

    The wire splicing trick probably provides good audio quality, but I wonder if the volume via that trick can go very high. The BT3030 has it's own volume controls, which add to increasing the overall volume.

    The A2DP hack produces the best audio quality and of course it does it via BT.

    Like you, my best set of headphones are also by Sennheiser, they are noise cancellation headphones. I've been considering getting the latest from Bose, but I'm not sure if they would be much better. I mean for use outside of when I'm using the 800w.
  10. #10  
    I use the Jabra 8030's.

    Not only do they make awesome external speakers, have the best fidelity of any BT headset I have used, but they also crank very loud even on the 800w.

    I do increase the A2DP data rates (via SKTools) to high quality.

    While I understand people's desires for a 3.5mm jack, I have no use for one (nor do I have any decent 3.5mm headphones).

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I do increase the A2DP data rates (via SKTools) to high quality.
    I'll have to see if I can use SKTools, thank you for mentioning.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Do the headset splice and use your favorite stereo headphones. You can't use bluetooth when you're on a plane!
    Actually there's noting to explicitly ban BT use on a plane, nothing I can find. All I can find is that it's up to the pilot. And I've never heard an airline crew explicitly claim BT can't be used in flight, just that the phone portion of the smart phone must be turned off.

    Searching around the FAA web site I didn't find any BT ban.

    Also found someone said they looked into it and found no explicit "ban" on BT when on planes.

    http://www.everythingq.com/forum/blu...html#post54373

    http://www.everythingq.com/forum/blu...html#post59692

    Given the BT3030 allows wired headphones to be used with it, I doubt anyone seeing it would realize BT was actually in use. People will probably assume the BT3030 is an MP3 player.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post

    Given the BT3030 allows wired headphones to be used with it, I doubt anyone seeing it would realize BT was actually in use. People will probably assume the BT3030 is an MP3 player.

    That's what people say to me everyday. I constantly hear "that's a neat dogtag looking mp3 player".
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  14. pimphand's Avatar
    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Actually there's noting to explicitly ban BT use on a plane, nothing I can find. All I can find is that it's up to the pilot. And I've never heard an airline crew explicitly claim BT can't be used in flight, just that the phone portion of the smart phone must be turned off.

    Searching around the FAA web site I didn't find any BT ban.

    Also found someone said they looked into it and found no explicit "ban" on BT when on planes.

    http://www.everythingq.com/forum/blu...html#post54373

    http://www.everythingq.com/forum/blu...html#post59692

    Given the BT3030 allows wired headphones to be used with it, I doubt anyone seeing it would realize BT was actually in use. People will probably assume the BT3030 is an MP3 player.
    agreed. i've looked into this w/continental, and they don't explicitly say anything about BT. and they are quite explicit about other wireless technologies. it goes w/o saying, though, that an attendant likely wouldn't condone using BT regardless of what the rules do or don't describe.
  15. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I use the Jabra 8030's.
    Those things are ridiculous. Might as well wear a helmet with built-in BT speakers.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    Other headset connection method.



    This solution also has theme song, Who Let the Dogs Out!
    haha, has anybody sent this to palm?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I do increase the A2DP data rates (via SKTools) to high quality.
    Why do you use SKTools? While using high quality I have been experiencing a slowing effect of the music. Would SKTools prevent that?
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mohamie View Post
    Why do you use SKTools? While using high quality I have been experiencing a slowing effect of the music. Would SKTools prevent that?
    If your using Hannip's A2DP hack, try the self adjusting setting. Good quality and the music plays at the appropriate pace.
  19. haus's Avatar
    Posts
    235 Posts
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by mohamie View Post
    haha, has anybody sent this to palm?
    On a semi-serious note, beachboy's hilarious diagram actually would not work. The non-headset port on the Palm audio/charging adapter is charging only. It does not provide any sync or headset adapter connectivity. I know this because I tried to use the Palm adapter to plug in the Redfly and my spliced headphone adapter at the same time. The 800w charges via the Redfly on the non-headset port of the adapter, but there is no data connectivity.

    I posted about this in the Celio forum (now only available at WMExperts.com) because for me it specifically only related to my desire to use the Redfly, 800w, and headphones all "wired" on a plane. Can't do it.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by mohamie View Post
    Why do you use SKTools? While using high quality I have been experiencing a slowing effect of the music. Would SKTools prevent that?
    ..and that's why it is not enabled by default!

    It also consumes more memory.

    A2DP is a tricky technology. It's pretty CPU intensive when you decide you want to really jack up the bit rate and other features. But anything less and "it sounds worse than corded".

    I use SKTools for other reasons, but for A2DP it allows you to alter the values more specifically.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions