View Poll Results: What are you using for 3.5mm jack access?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • A BT based solution, like the Jabra BT3030.

13 29.55%
  • Spliced wires and made my own 3.5mm wired adapter.

3 6.82%
  • Palm 2.5mm adapter to a 2.5mm -> 3.5mm adapter.

1 2.27%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

2 4.55%
  • Don't use anything for 3.5mm jack access, but I desire easy 3.5mm access.

19 43.18%
  • Don't use anything for 3.5mm jack access and don't desire to use a 3.5mm jack.

6 13.64%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    "Quality" being the key word in your question, I can only say the Treo 800w's BT audio "quality" is in my opinion a little sub-par. So the headphones can only carry what is given to them.

To tell the difference in quality, here's a few things you can try if you get a BT3030:
    - Try listening to your most favorite song, do a full backup of your device, then add Hannip's A2DP hack, set it to WM6 self adjusting and listen to your favorite song again, then hard reset and restore the backup you had before applying Hannip's A2DP hack, listen to the track again. Oh, you'll tell the difference right way. This is how I noticed and unfortunately the hack causes me some compatibility issues with Kinoma Play and calls, so I can't use the hack any more and so I'm pretty bummed out about that. (The people saying that hack works wonders on the BT audio quality are very right!)

- Try listening to your favorite song in high quality MP3 format on your PC via headphones, then transfer the song to your Treo 800w and listen with the BT3030. You'll be able to tell the loss in quality.

Those are ways I've noticed the difference in quality.

The wired headphones from Palm offer superior quality to BT (when not using the A2DP hack), but the volume on them is so low it defeats any benefit they offer.

The wire splicing trick probably provides good audio quality, but I wonder if the volume via that trick can go very high. The BT3030 has it's own volume controls, which add to increasing the overall volume.

The A2DP hack produces the best audio quality and of course it does it via BT.

Like you, my best set of headphones are also by Sennheiser, they are noise cancellation headphones. I've been considering getting the latest from Bose, but I'm not sure if they would be much better. I mean for use outside of when I'm using the 800w.
    Thanks for the response, although I have some very good headphones, I'm not expecting excellent quality, but it'd be nice to know that the quality doesn't outright suck.

If I'm keeping this phone, I'll definitely do the splicing trick. I'm not too worried about the volume, because if I'm bringing my good headphones, I'll bring my headphone amp as well (built my own a few years back).

Guess I'll try the BT3030 or just invest in some BT stereo headphones, *sigh* time to step into the 21st century
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Do the headset splice and use your favorite stereo headphones. You can't use bluetooth when you're on a plane!
    I've actually been using my Sony Ericsson BT units successfully on my flights for about a year and a half, ever since going to the WX and then now also with my 800w. The flight attendant people are clueless because the BT unit I use (HBH-DS980) looks very similar to a standard MP3 unit on a neck lanyard, and nothing makes anyone think they're BT. Plus, the actual ear buds do a GREAT job of keeping out air noise.

In fact, I've taken no less than 100 flights, using my Treo as BOTH my music AND book, all while using stereo BT (and a few movies as well). So awesome. All in one. I look at other people getting out their iPods and Bose headphones and their books or paperbacks, and I have all that in one. So simple. Easy.
  3.    #23  
    Using SKTools now and upped the A2DP values a bit. The good audio quality is back .

It does impact device performance, but the music quality is good and not playing slow. So the goal has been achieved. I'll have to keep using this configuration for a day or 2, to ensure there are no compatibility issues.
    D, what's the census? Which ones am I buying (Jabra 3030's)? I already have SKTools.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Cant' answer for D, but I made the changes in DKTools and to me my music sounds great on my BT3030's. Currently, I am using the headphones that came with the 3030's. They have great volume and plenty of bass. I have listened to books and music on a flight without any problems.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  6.    #26  
    Well I was hoping somebody would come with some response and solution nobody had thought of . (Although the throw more wires at it design is funny.) But VRGT, it seems the BT3030 is a good option. Most using a 3.5mm jack are using some sort of BT based solution. It's working for me. And if SKtools is stable on your device, you can get audio quality to a really nice level, better than wired IMHO.

I'm hoping SKTools does not cause me any hassles.

Here's the current list of software I've found causes me conflicts personally. Of course these work fine for some others, just not me personally. I'm only speaking for myself.

• MicroSoft .Net Framework v3.5: Causes sluggishness
    • Schapp's Advanced Config v3.2: Causes the device to lock up and requires pulling the battery to soft reboot
    • Secret! v2.1 by LinkeSOFT: Causes Kinoma Play to lock up and causes phone issues after making calls if Kinoma Play is running.
    • Task Manager by FdcSoft: Causes the device to sometimes die.

Basically, without the software that causes conflicts on my device, I can openly declare my device never dies, never locks up, never needs a reset.

I'm personally a fan of earphones that cover the ear rather than going into the ear canal. (Especially if you want to tell someone sitting next to you "listen to this" )
    D, is this the price for the Jabra.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-OEM-Jabra-BT...1%7C240%3A1318

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    D, is this the price for the Jabra.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-OEM-Jabra-BT...1%7C240%3A1318
    I got mine from Newegg.com, the bulk retail version was $38.99 when I got mine and it used to be cheaper, but demand went up. Demand is still going up, because tonight it's selling for $39.99. But that is still a good price for a brand new one.

I also saw someone on Ebay selling a BT3030 clone for just under $27. The folks in Japan seem to be able to get clones of stuff for way cheaper. Or maybe they get it from the source that companies like Jabra slap their name on? Anyway, I almost have no doubt that BT3030 clone works just like the actual Jabra BT3030, but I simply was not daring enough to risk buying it. I have purchased a cheap clone of another product from an Ebay seller in Japan before and it really was as good as the name brand product. With all the crazy things that have happened related to my 800w, I wanted to get the name brand BT3030 for the name brand support.

I'm testing battery life on my BT3030 today. When I got it the thing was already paired for another device, so I want to be sure it's fit. So far it's been playing music at a pretty good volume level for almost 5 hours straight. It's supposed to be able to play music for up to 7 hours. I don't know if I'll keep it going till the 7 hour mark, but it's doing well enough for me.
    I'm not daring enough to get the knock off either. I'll just get them at newegg. I don't know the difference between the $39 and $45 one.

10.    #30  
    I don't know the difference between the $39 and $45 one.
    The difference is packaging and fluff. The $39 one comes in a bag, all the parts and a little manual. The $45 one comes probably in a box or something more stylish in terms of packaging.

After taxes and shipping, cost me $50 from Newegg. The guy selling knock offs on Ebay is offering FREE SHIPPING and you know there won't be any sales tax charges . (Usually the guys in Japan offer some cheap shipping. I don't know how they do it.)
    The $39 is $46.98 with shipping at newegg. I think I'll just get them there. Thanks for the help.

12.    #32  
    The $39 is $46.98 with shipping at newegg. I think I'll just get them there. Thanks for the help.
    I guess this means I don't get to live vicariously through seeing you buy the knock offs from Hong Kong .
    I don't have the cojones to get the knock off's. Maybe someone else will get them. I'm afraid with my luck the volume won't be there.

14.    #34  
    Using SKTools now and upped the A2DP values a bit. The good audio quality is back .

It does impact device performance, but the music quality is good and not playing slow. So the goal has been achieved. I'll have to keep using this configuration for a day or 2, to ensure there are no compatibility issues.
    Been performing various call tests while music is playing and found I needed to lower the A2DP values a little bit. I'm now at 44 for SBC bitpool and Maximum bitpool (initially I had them set for 48), Minimum bitpool is still at 14 and Joint Stereo is on. With that I'm able to perform call tests while music is playing without issues.

The issues I was having with Hannip's A2DP hack were probably just because the device was being overworked with the self adjusting option. I tried lowering values with it, but things were not working out so well because I could not fine tune actual values like with SKTools. I guess depending on what someone has running is why many can use Hannip's A2DP hack at self adjusting with no issues.

So now I'm at a point, that with my own configuration, I can get BT audio that is decent, but not the absolute best. I guess once the CPU upgrades for the 800w come out I'll be able to up the audio quality more . But this will do for now .
    Haus, I realized it wouldn't work because it was using the audio side of the second Y for sync or charge. I knew that and was interested in who would take it seriously and make the comment. If you had not said it was "hilarious" first I would have thought you to be too serious.

Thanks for the hilarious comment, that was the whole purpose, although there was a serious reason to do it in the first place. Although, I almost hoped that someone from Palm would say it was an acceptable and recommended solution?

I finally got my chance to say I was just checking to see if all the kids in class were really listening.

Quote Originally Posted by haus View Post
    On a semi-serious note, beachboy's hilarious diagram actually would not work. The non-headset port on the Palm audio/charging adapter is charging only. It does not provide any sync or headset adapter connectivity. I know this because I tried to use the Palm adapter to plug in the Redfly and my spliced headphone adapter at the same time. The 800w charges via the Redfly on the non-headset port of the adapter, but there is no data connectivity.

I posted about this in the Celio forum (now only available at WMExperts.com) because for me it specifically only related to my desire to use the Redfly, 800w, and headphones all "wired" on a plane. Can't do it.
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    I got mine from Newegg.com, the bulk retail version was $38.99 when I got mine and it used to be cheaper, but demand went up. Demand is still going up, because tonight it's selling for $39.99. But that is still a good price for a brand new one.
    Just ordered one from newegg, we'll see how it goes.

I figure even if I switch to a Treo Pro later, I can still use this to stream wirelessly from my phone to my stereo. Good deal.
  17.    #37  
    Been performing various call tests while music is playing and found I needed to lower the A2DP values a little bit. I'm now at 44 for SBC bitpool and Maximum bitpool (initially I had them set for 48), Minimum bitpool is still at 14 and Joint Stereo is on. With that I'm able to perform call tests while music is playing without issues.
    I've had to drop SBC bitpool and Maximum bitpool settings down to 40. This morning (with settings at 44) the device started moving slowly in Kinoma Play while I had music going in the car. I knew bad was coming. I exited Kinoma, got out the car, put the 800w in my holster, ran an errand and minutes later by the time I got back into the car to pull out my 800w it was dead. Had to do the battery pull trick.

So we'll see how 40 goes for me.

I've also found, I just can't run Kinoma and Sprint Navigation at the same time and expect to make or receive a call with those applications open and BT stereo running with SBC bitpool and Maximum bitpool even down at 30 and joint stereo turned off.

With SBC bitpool and Maximum bitpool settings at 40, I can receive calls while just Kinoma Play is playing music, but found it's better to close Kinoma Play before I make any outgoing calls.

Having A2DP, I've just got to manage that too much can't be used at once.

Really hoping things stay cool at 40, joint stereo still on.

Testing continues...

Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Just ordered one from newegg, we'll see how it goes.

I figure even if I switch to a Treo Pro later, I can still use this to stream wirelessly from my phone to my stereo. Good deal.
    I'm obviously not going to be able to convince any of you to try the Hong Kong knockoff .
    Just wondering how everyone is making do, in order to use their 3.5mm headphones with the Treo 800w.
    I gave up and bought an iPod. Now I'm stuck with two devices again, but at least the iPod is a better media player and I don't worry about battery life on the Treo anymore...
  19.    #39  
    I've had to drop SBC bitpool and Maximum bitpool settings down to 40. This morning (with settings at 44) the device started moving slowly in Kinoma Play while I had music going in the car. I knew bad was coming. I exited Kinoma, got out the car, put the 800w in my holster, ran an errand and minutes later by the time I got back into the car to pull out my 800w it was dead. Had to do the battery pull trick.

So we'll see how 40 goes for me.
    Things are still good at 40. I think that setting and SKTools are a winner. Time to go buy a license .
    I'll have to give that a shot, thanks for keeping us updated
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast