Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Finally got a chance to compare my 800w with a Touch Pro at Best Buy today. The screen on the Touch Pro is a tiny bit bigger but not as much as I had imagined. I don't think it would give me that much more screen space for things like web browsing as to make a difference.

I've read that the Touch Pro is thinner than the 800w but I held them up together and the Touch Pro is actually a little bit thicker than the 800w.

I have to say that the keyboard on the Touch Pro was nice but after years of using it, I'm pretty comfortable with the Treo front keyboard.

All and all, I'm glad that I got to check it out because now I don't have Touch Pro envy anymore.
    My touch pro worked for about 4 hours before it permanently lost its internet connection. I was really on the fence, coming from a 755p, that the TP would not be what I wanted.

Oh, the display was nice! It was a real visual experience. But, it just felt cheap--not at all like a pro/business tool. The keyboard, frankly, was NOT as good as the 755p, and the 800w is a little better than the 755p. That really amazed me. I found the TP keyboard a little awkward except for entering numbers.

So I returned it and got an 800w. Totally delighted. I am actually happy that the TP was defective, or I might have kept it past the return time.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I've loved my 800w from day 1. I even bought one for my wife, since she was getting tired of using my old Mogul and since I had previously sold her 700p.
    No major complaints here.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Interesting, I looked at a Touch Pro on Friday and I was impressed. The VGA screen really impressed me and loved the keyboard. Yes, its about 10mm thicker, but the rest of the phone is smaller. The sound was great too on the TP.

As you can find I am very unhappy with my 800w, no headset jack and MONO from the microUSB. I have always used my Treo as music listening devices and the 800 lack of these features and the low volume have turned me off. I assume these features are not important to you?

Otherwise I would have to say I like the phone, but these other issues are just too big for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    Finally got a chance to compare my 800w with a Touch Pro at Best Buy today. The screen on the Touch Pro is a tiny bit bigger but not as much as I had imagined. I don't think it would give me that much more screen space for things like web browsing as to make a difference.

I've read that the Touch Pro is thinner than the 800w but I held them up together and the Touch Pro is actually a little bit thicker than the 800w.

I have to say that the keyboard on the Touch Pro was nice but after years of using it, I'm pretty comfortable with the Treo front keyboard.

All and all, I'm glad that I got to check it out because now I don't have Touch Pro envy anymore.
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    I looked at the Touch Pro yesterday, out of idle curiosity. It does look impressive, but I really love my 800w, and don't know how I'd feel about having a slider again.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Not a real happy camper with the 800 but I can tolerate its quirks. The Touch Pro has better features and Memory but its a slider which I cannot stand. I like the front faced keyboards. I have not played with one yet. I can make a better judgement then. The features may change my mind about sliders.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Not a real happy camper with the 800 but I can tolerate its quirks. The Touch Pro has better features and Memory but its a slider which I cannot stand. I like the front faced keyboards. I have not played with one yet. I can make a better judgement then. The features may change my mind about sliders.
    I went from 700p->bb pearl->mogul->800p

One thing i couldn't stand about the mogul was the sliding keyboard. Sure, the screen was giant, but I could never use the phone with one hand without fear of dropping it.

The 800w does have some quirks, but overall I feel it is a good device. I yearned for my palm keyboard back after 1+ years without it.
    No complaints here, took a bit to get used to coming from years of a Palm OS.
    Was going to return my Treo800W today, but Best Buy no longer has the 20% off smartphones, so the switch to the Diamond or Touch Pro would have been more money than I thought it would be worth, since I got the Treo800W for $160.

Coming from a Treo700P I really miss the simple screens full of simple buttons for contacts and internet shortcuts. I have done some looking for a program to do the same thing and haven't found anything yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LEDtreo View Post
    Was going to return my Treo800W today, but Best Buy no longer has the 20% off smartphones, so the switch to the Diamond or Touch Pro would have been more money than I thought it would be worth, since I got the Treo800W for $160.

Coming from a Treo700P I really miss the simple screens full of simple buttons for contacts and internet shortcuts. I have done some looking for a program to do the same thing and haven't found anything yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    My sentiments exactly. I'm coming from the 700p also. Tried the Touch Pro for a week and took it back, it wasn't practical for one handed use. I'm much happier with the 800W, but still not satisfied. I'm still considering going back to the 700p, it just seems like a lot less steps to get things done.
    My 800w has been almost flawless.

At first I was concerned about the lack of a 3.5mm jack but then I got the BT3030 and downloaded Hannips A2DP script and I have not wished I had a 3.5mm jack since.

Then I was concerned about the battery life so I went to the sprint store and they gave me an extra battery. The funny thing is that since they gave it to me I have not used it once.

I have found that in some ways Windows Mobile is like the Palm OS in that the more hacks you install the more stability problems you have. Windows Mobile is particularly sensetive to 3rd party software that alters the today screen. I think this is because of variances in hardware on different windows mobile phones. Avoid those fancy today screens and you will not have any problems.

Overall I think this phone is great and I have no complaints.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    My 800w has been almost flawless.

QFT
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LEDtreo View Post

Thanks
    It seems like you might like SPB Mobile Shell.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    QFT
    Sorry, I am over 18 and do not know what that means.
    http://www.acronymfinder.com/QFT.html
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011

I absolutely agree that many people are going to prefer the 800w. But I would assume you handled a non functional display dummy from your comment on the screen.

The vga on the touch pro at 480x640 simply pops and kick the **** of the 800w.

On size, is the 7% larger screen an advantage? I think so. In practical terms it is like going from a 25 square analog tv to 30 widescreen hd. Given that certain elements of screen space are already taken, the 7% is really more like 15 to 20% more user screen.

The vga on the touch pro and is 480x640 simply kick the but of the 800w.

Also not only is there more surface area, and better resolution on the Touch Pro, but for a number of applications wide screen is inherently better. I find it is much better for web page browsing. Scrolling down is a normal experience with web browsing, scrolling side to side is not.

On a side note, I ride the train a lot and like to catch up on my movie watching when not working. Sometimes I have one of my kids with me. a 16:9 film is about twice as big on the touch pro screen. And video playback is very strong on the touch pro, it is flawless video at 500 kbs.

I am not sure anyone said the touch pro is thinner? I haven't read that anywhere. It is the Treo Pro, even with a considerably larger battery, that is more than 30% thinner than the 800w.

I agree people should certainly look at and use the touch pro before jumping. They may easily be making "grass is greener" assumptions. But don't do it on the store dummy. The Touch pro screen, both in resolution specs and eyeballed side by side is a whole generation better than the 80ow screen
    I got to play with a Touch Pro yesterday and was very impressed. I think the sliding keyboard may not be that bad since the feature set is great. The VGA screen is so nice. The UI is amazing. The camera is sick. It really does make the 800 look very outdated. I am not worried about 10 percent more speed the Treo has. That is not a deal breaker. Its hardly noticeable. I get $300 of on Dec. 1st and thinking of picking one up.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I have to say that I am pretty happy with my 800W. Of course, I knew I wanted something that incorporated the Palm feel into an exchange server enabled phone. I want one handed usability, and really there are no other choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    It seems like you might like SPB Mobile Shell.
    Or UltimateLaunch.

So funny. I am posting the same thing in a different thread.

Try the touch pro- the envy will dissapear!
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I got to play with a Touch Pro yesterday and was very impressed. I think the sliding keyboard may not be that bad since the feature set is great. The VGA screen is so nice. The UI is amazing. The camera is sick. It really does make the 800 look very outdated. I am not worried about 10 percent more speed the Treo has. That is not a deal breaker. Its hardly noticeable. I get $300 of on Dec. 1st and thinking of picking one up.
    Didn't you mention, that battery life is a major concern for you? Isn't the Touch Pro battery life low like the 800w?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast