Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    VibrantRedGT, don't most BB users you know typically use the BB Curve? I know most businesspeople I know do. And people who have announced on these forums that they left Treos such as the 800w for a BB have usually said they left for the BB Curve. (And many who have left for a BB Curve have not come back. VRGT your coming back is more the exception.) Can't say I've heard many say they were looking at much else in the BB line, unless it was a model not yet released.
    < < Edited by Dieter > >

More to the point I do question your knowledge of these devices comparatively.

When someone wrote the Treo Pro was considerably smaller than the Treo 800w you wrote a long post, with red lettering, smiley faces and sarcastic comments stating the person did not know math etc. His math was right, yours was wrong, the 800w is about 30% bigger, which across smartphones is a phenomenal difference.

But the issue wasn't just math and what anyone would define as a trolling post, it was that it was clear you never even held the Pro in your hand when you sought to correct someone making a comparison on size.

< < more edits > > I am certain you never used a BB.

The analogy on MPG is wrong. The correct analogy is if the maker of your gas pig truck put in an 11 gallon Prius gas tank.

You then post a st of numbers on talk time, and don't even understand they prove Darnell's point.

It is like raw intelligence in the hands of layman. Despite the raw numbers the BB will last several days with ease. You will not walk out of the house talk for a few hours in the day and get every email sent

BB identified core business user use. Talk, push email. In the same function the 800w is a battery pig. It requires a bigger battery (as opposed to the same illustrated by the talk time numbers). You numbers clearly show the 800w requires a bigger battery then the BB but doesn't have the required bigger batter. The next generation Palm product does. Palm knew they made a mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    VibrantRedGT, don't most BB users you know typically use the BB Curve? I know most businesspeople I know do. And people who have announced on these forums that they left Treos such as the 800w for a BB have usually said they left for the BB Curve. (And many who have left for a BB Curve have not come back. VRGT your coming back is more the exception.) Can't say I've heard many say they were looking at much else in the BB line, unless it was a model not yet released.
    Just about all Company employees use the Curve that I've been apart of. My Brother in law is the President of a major Company and they have over 1000 Curves issued (Verizon).

I am the exception. The Curve really performed well in every aspect. Phone, email, camera and MP3 all solid. If I wasn't a Windows junky and never got bored with the BB OS I would not have left.

If the Touch Pro had come out before the switch I'd have that instead of the 800. In fact I am considering the switch still. December 1st is the day.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    If you're going to blame companies for bad battery life, why single Palm out?

The new HTC Touch Pro has less battery life than the 800w. Compared to BB's, the Treo Pro has horrible battery life. Plenty of other devices to choose from which have as bad of life as the 800w.

As I said, BB's are a completely different approach than WM devices. I can guarantee you that if you took the 800w (or any WM device) and:

Removed the touchscreen
    Remove WiFi
    Remove GPS
    Remove the majority of the information downloaded (e-mail info, etc)
    Remove the ability to use tons of software
    Reduce the processor speed
    Remove 112 MB of RAM
    Remove nearly all internal storage

If you did all that, the battery life in the 800w would skyrocket. As a simple example, when I setup IMAP (which only checks every 2 hours) at the end of the day my battery life went from 30%-40% left down to 25%-30%. But IMAP on WM brings a ton of info that BB doesn't (such as which e-mails have been read).

You can't expect to have all of the features that most WM devices have (and some have tons more!), expect to have the same battery life, while keeping the same size device, and have the (relatively) same price. It's simply impossible. (Features, battery, size, price--pick 2 and hope you can swing the 3rd. )

Granted even if you removed all the above the 800w would not have the same battery life as a BB (though I would bet you'd see the life triple or more).....but it would still have the capability of doing more than a BB. The BB OS, while extremely functional and efficient, is also extremely limited.

You're comparing apples and oranges here. It'd be like comparing my truck (lifted, armored, big tires, etc) to a Toyota Prius, and complaining that the truck doesn't get nearly as much gas mileage.
    Exactly, my Sprint Touch with the upgrade to WM6.1 is a battery life nightmare.
    Don't have to do anything with it and it cannot make a full day..

I have been skeptical about the 800w, but am going to try one next week.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    Of course we who know about the BB 8330 and other BB Curves already know.

• BB 8330 (and even my 8310 that I've had for over a year) has GPS.
    • While touchscreens are neat, BB's are designed to not need a touch screen.
    • On Sprint BB 8330 can run NFL Mobile Live!
    • BB Curves can have push mail running 24 X 7 and the battery life is sweet. Unlike trying to keep push mail on full time with the 800w.
    • For what they do, BB Curves are fast.
    • BB 8330 has a camera WITH FLASH. (And 5x digital zoom.)
    • BB Curves have a 3.5mm headphone jack!
    • (Although I have an 8310, I've never had a call quality issue with any speakerphone call, ever.)

It's true that some speaking have either never actually used a BB or forgot some of the features.

The major business need being full time e-mail sync, which can be achieved with sweet battery life in the BB Curve line. (Everything I've been saying here about the battery life of my BB 8310 was with push mail running 24 X 7. It's so good on battery life, I usually don't even think to mention the mail is always running. It's so good I don't even usually think about it.) Just maybe, that's why so many businesspeople are using BB Curves.

And so we have Palm, near bankruptcy, that could never satisfy a significant portion of the business community and never made designs appealing to lots of non-business users. For a smaller portion of the buying market, the geeks (us), Palm was hitting the mark, but that's not proving to be enough to sustain them.
    Last edited by darnell; 11/19/2008 at 11:13 AM.
    Dude, that's funny.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Of course we who know about the BB 8330 and other BB Curves already know.

• BB 8330 (and even my 8310 that I've had for over a year) has GPS.
    • While touchscreens are neat, BB's are designed to not need a touch screen.
    • On Sprint BB 8330 can run NFL Mobile Live!
    • BB Curves can have push mail running 24 X 7 and the battery life is sweet. Unlike trying to keep push mail on full time with the 800w.
    • For what they do, BB Curves are fast.
    • BB 8330 has a camera WITH FLASH. (And 5x digital zoom.)
    • BB Curves have a 3.5mm headphone jack!
    • (Although I have an 8310, I've never had a call quality issue with any speakerphone call, ever.)

It's true that some speaking have either never actually used a BB or forgot some of the features.

The major business need being full time e-mail sync, which can be achieved with sweet battery life in the BB Curve line. (Everything I've been saying here about the battery life of my BB 8310 was with push mail running 24 X 7. It's so good on battery life, I usually don't even think to mention the mail is always running. It's so good I don't even usually think about it.) Just maybe, that's why so many businesspeople are using BB Curves.

And so we have Palm, near bankruptcy, that could never satisfy a significant portion of the business community and never made designs appealing to lots of non-business users. For a smaller portion of the buying market, the geeks (us), Palm was hitting the mark, but that's not proving to be enough to sustain them.

Don't forget about about the additional carrier charges, BES server/licensing, and the mandatory need of having all of your email traffic traverse the BB network which will all know fails on occasion.

But it certainly seems that you guys have it all figured out. The question is why are you here? Certainly your criticism at this point has moved beyond constructive.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    Don't forget about about the additional carrier charges, BES server/licensing, and the mandatory need of having all of your email traffic traverse the BB network which will all know fails on occasion.
    Yea, but if you need a device that is able to handle full time e-mail sync you've gotta do what you've gotta do. You do know, that larger BB customers get BES for free. And the BB network provides exceptional security, any outages are rare and front page news whenever it occurs. Which is a highly compelling reason for RIM to keep things online.

But it certainly seems that you guys have it all figured out. The question is why are you here? Certainly your criticism at this point has moved beyond constructive.
    Perhaps in your opinion you're upset we are here. There's always that "ignore" option at your disposal, so we don't trouble you any longer.

We are here because we choose to be. We are permitted to be here just as you are.

Take note of the course of events that lead to my previous comment. Once again Les, I did not make my statement off the cuff for no reason at all. It was in response to statements made by someone else, a statement that was even quoted and rubber stamped before I decided to offer more details. If you feel it's less than constructive, the "ignore" feature is yours to utilize.
    I need full time email and calender sync. I get it with the treo- plus I dont have to worry about anyones network failing with the exception of my companies and Sprints- both of which would effect BES/BIS users as well.

The actual BES server app may be free but licensing certainly isn't. That is the BB cash cow.

I understand your statements and why you make them. But you guys need to give it a rest. You are all over these boards. Everytime something comes up you go into a rant about how bad the treo is and how great something else is that mysteriously you choose not to use. If it is that bad- than clearly it is time to move on.

I have complained about the paint coming off my d-pad, GPS, battery,etc,etc but I do not continue to beat the same horse over and over again. You have made your point.

Look at how the title of this thread contrasts with your posts.

LA
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    I need full time email and calender sync. I get it with the treo- plus I dont have to worry about anyones network failing with the exception of my companies and Sprints- both of which would effect BES/BIS users as well.
    For some of us, the e-mail sync needs to be with a device that can be mobile for extended periods of time without a charge. This was a point I was making about the needs of many business users.

The actual BES server app may be free but licensing certainly isn't. That is the BB cash cow.
    I know you're not going to believe me when I say this, but Les, larger BB customers get FREE BES licensing. Contracts where bi-annually new devices must be purchased, but the BES licensing is tossed in free of charge. Just to outdo the selling point MS would use to move major corporate customers to WM.

I understand your statements and why you make them. But you guys need to give it a rest. You are all over these boards. Everytime something comes up you go into a rant about how bad the treo is and how great something else is that mysteriously you choose not to use.
    I have a BB 8310, I've mentioned that to you already in an earlier response to you. If someone asserts BB's don't have GPS, I feel at liberty to mention they have GPS and then some. If you feel responding is a rant, the ignore option is yours. Because Les, I'm not leaving till they kick me out the door. I also own a Treo 800w and I'm not under any requirements to always speak highly about it.

Look at how the title of this thread contrasts with your posts.

LA
    Look at how we got to this point. I didn't just jump in attacking the 800w, this started with me asking VRGT why he would get a Touch Pro if he's concerned about battery life. My actually asking him why he'd leave the 800w for a Touch Pro, a position favoring the 800w. Then conversation into the need for battery life being ignored by some device makers. And that's when discussion of the BB's battery life was mentioned, they're only selling more, I see no problem in mentioning areas of improvement for Palm. There was never an intention to make this an un-happy with the 800w thread. Me and some others were discussing a business need. Perhaps it would better if you would leave us to discuss in peace.
    I thought this Thread was to talk about being Happy with the 800w.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    That's what I thought too.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    That's what I thought too.
    It made 3 posts before it got derailed.
    hooooo.

Locked.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123