Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I have had a REDFLY for the past few weeks with my 800W.. It cost me $199.00 ... Today I see an Add to the 8GB XP ASUS EEE PC with 512MB Ram for $299 only $100 more). If you had the choice, would you stick with the REDFLY or go with the EEE PC and why?

If I were to go with the EEE PC, Can I use the 800W as a modem to get wireless internet where there is no WIFI? Also, can I get the Full outlook client on the EEE PC so I can do all my appointments etc and sync to my exchange server?

Thanks... Dave
    EEEEEE PC
    I'd go with that
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amdxmania View Post
    EEEEEE PC
    I'd go with that
    BUT .... in order to go with the EEE PC, I need to make SURE I can use my 800W as a modem to get online and that I can get the full outlook 2003 or 2007 on this unit so I can sync with exchange.

Is this possible on the EEE PC?
  4. jhn
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I also bought a Redfly for $200. I really want to like it, but I just don't see the need when I cam buy a net book for $300.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhn View Post
    I also bought a Redfly for $200. I really want to like it, but I just don't see the need when I cam buy a net book for $300.
    But I still ask... Can I connect my 800W to the eee pc with xp and get internet access and also can I put outlook 2003 or 2007 or something similar to sync with exchange and get my calendar,email etc from exchange?
    Id get a EEE PC too. just use internet share or wmwifirouter for internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by djqwik View Post
    I have had a REDFLY for the past few weeks with my 800W.. It cost me $199.00 ... Today I see an Add to the 8GB XP ASUS EEE PC with 512MB Ram for $299 only $100 more). If you had the choice, would you stick with the REDFLY or go with the EEE PC and why?

If I were to go with the EEE PC, Can I use the 800W as a modem to get wireless internet where there is no WIFI? Also, can I get the Full outlook client on the EEE PC so I can do all my appointments etc and sync to my exchange server?

Thanks... Dave
    Yes, you can use your 800W as a modem with no problems. You can also put outlook on there as well. I bought the EEE PC when it first came out for my fiancee and she's been using it with her 755p with no problems. I just recently bought the MSI Wind, and its better. Bigger keyboard, and BT built in. Also more memory too. 160gb HD, 1 gig of ram. Hope that helps...
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    I'm a big fan of the redfly. My laptop has not left my desk since I got one. The great thing about the redfly is that I always have my files with me, even when I dont have my redfly.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I'm a big fan of the redfly. My laptop has not left my desk since I got one. The great thing about the redfly is that I always have my files with me, even when I dont have my redfly.
    That's almost exactly was I was going to post. I love my redfly, and I don't have to worry about boot up times, having duplicate files, etc.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I would definitely go with a netbook considering the price is only marginally higher. Also, if you ever get tired of the treo and wish to switch to another device, you're not stuck with a piece of hardware that may not work with your new phone.

I applaud the effort of the people who created the redfly, but I simply don't see a market for it
    There's really little reason to keep my Redfly. WM apps can be robust, but the Redfly doesn't work with Opera Mobile, Skyfire, or video apps. And I'd rather stab myself in the **** than use Pocket Word and Pocket Excel for serious document editing. I was thinking of picking up the SoftMaker suite, but for the price of that and the Redfly, I might as well just get a netbook w/ maybe TrueConnectPro and call it a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainchump View Post
    Also, if you ever get tired of the treo and wish to switch to another device, you're not stuck with a piece of hardware that may not work with your new phone.
    (
    It not only works with Treo's but dozens of WM phones. They have plans for Android, BlackBerry and Iphone drivers. Unless they go under its pretty safe to say that it will work with you new phone.

For watching video or playing games its not a good solution but for business people, its the way to go.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    Yes, you can use your 800W as a modem with no problems. You can also put outlook on there as well. I bought the EEE PC when it first came out for my fiancee and she's been using it with her 755p with no problems. I just recently bought the MSI Wind, and its better. Bigger keyboard, and BT built in. Also more memory too. 160gb HD, 1 gig of ram. Hope that helps...
    Im thinking about buying an MSI Wind at best buy for $349.99. I want to use it for all the basic stuff however for school I need to load programing software. Do you know if I will be able to run Visual Basic and other programing software. As long as its decently fast, I can multitask, and do my homework on it im happy.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    the REDFLY does work with opera but you need to use 8.5 .. HOWEVER, I am returning mine as I just bought the ACER ASPIRE ONE with 1GB ram, 160G HD, XP, memory card slots, wifi, etc.. it cost me $348.00 at walmart. Then I purchased WMWIFIROUTER and I can get online wherever I am... I took off most of the junk it came with and loaded AVG FREE, office 2007, firefox and some other apps....

much better deal...
    Quote Originally Posted by djqwik View Post

Thanks... Dave
    RedFly is really good for basics: email, RSS, document editing and reading, note taking, photos, etc.

It pros are: awesome battery life, no syncing, no duplication, no boot

For $199 it was a real good deal, imo.

Netbooks certainly have their advantages too, but the short battery life is usually the killer for me as well as long boot and load times. But obviously they are much more robust and familiar to people.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by improve View Post
    Im thinking about buying an MSI Wind at best buy for $349.99. I want to use it for all the basic stuff however for school I need to load programing software. Do you know if I will be able to run Visual Basic and other programing software. As long as its decently fast, I can multitask, and do my homework on it im happy.
    I'm not into programing, so I can't really comment on it for sure, however I can't see it not working. You can also overclock it as well by pressing the FN+11 key. Also a lot of people are talking about boot up times and the load times, and I have to say its not that bad at all. As for battery's, they have a 6 and 9 cell batteries out for it that last 4-6hrs..

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by improve View Post
    Huh, hadn't heard of that one but yeah...very intriguing.

( )

I have a review unit Redfly and maybe I'll go and pick one of those up and do a head to head at WME.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Huh, hadn't heard of that one but yeah...very intriguing.

( )

I have a review unit Redfly and maybe I'll go and pick one of those up and do a head to head at WME.
    MSI has done a great job on their netbook.. It has a lot of nice features built in for a good price and size. You should check it out, and do a review as well...

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    It not only works with Treo's but dozens of WM phones. They have plans for Android, BlackBerry and Iphone drivers. Unless they go under its pretty safe to say that it will work with you new phone.

For watching video or playing games its not a good solution but for business people, its the way to go.
    I have the Redfly and an 800W and have found web browsing to be very tedious on the Redfly. It takes way too long to scroll up and down.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwrob View Post
    I have the Redfly and an 800W and have found web browsing to be very tedious on the Redfly. It takes way too long to scroll up and down.
    PIE is rather tedious on the Redfly. I've found both Opera Mobile and Mini to be excellent browsing experiences.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast