Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've got an Everex Cloudbook I've been using to tether my 700wx and now 800w too. Awesome experience, but I'd kill for one of the Acer Aspire One's. Smokin fast and a ton of specs for a low price.

I used to mod this site before I fell out of the netbook loop, lots of good info:
    www.netbookuser.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mwrob View Post
    I have the Redfly and an 800W and have found web browsing to be very tedious on the Redfly. It takes way too long to scroll up and down.
    Use the space bar. Problem solved
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    It not only works with Treo's but dozens of WM phones. They have plans for Android, BlackBerry and Iphone drivers. Unless they go under its pretty safe to say that it will work with you new phone.

For watching video or playing games its not a good solution but for business people, its the way to go.
    If business people are so worried about the large keyboard, but they're willing to give up the large screen on the redfly, why not get a bluetooth keyboard?
    Save yourself $150

On another note,
    I feel like this thread is a battle against people who have some sort of motive for ensuring the success of this device/celio and those who don't care about their success and are trying to give an honest opinion. I'm not trying to hate on it, but the redfly simply doesn't compare to a netbook FULL computer with a REAL browsing experience and comparable, if not better, battery life.
    c'mon
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainchump View Post
    I'm not trying to hate on it, but the redfly simply doesn't compare to a netbook FULL computer with a REAL browsing experience and comparable, if not better, battery life.
    c'mon
    No, they don't compare and certainly a "netbook FULL computer" does things a RedFly can't do.

The RedFly is a niche technology right now and for some it's ideal, for a lot of others it's not.

I just like the idea of it and the future potential. It adds innovation to the market.

Also, in terms of battery life, I really have not found anything that is 2lbs and had 8hrs of battery life. I was sorely disappointed to learn that the "MSI Wind" only has a 2.5hr battery life--that's just not acceptable.

The BT keyboard option is interesting. I have one and meant to do a review on it awhile back, but the company stopped selling/supporting them. Still, a tiny screen and small phone battery are a problem, but they are fun.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Huh, hadn't heard of that one but yeah...very intriguing.

( )

I have a review unit Redfly and maybe I'll go and pick one of those up and do a head to head at WME.

Sounds like a realy good idea Mal. It seems like many users are a little torn between netbooks and mobile companions. I would personaly like a head to head between the two. Lately with prices dropping all over and lap tops seeing price cuts of 25 to 50 percent off thier original cost, its getting harder to realy choose between mobile companions, laptops, and netbooks when they are all in the same general price range. Im trying to find the best product to fit my needs and budget this December for the new year. However in my opinion the budget part is not realy the big concern at this point, which is obviously a good thing. Now we have many more options and products that seem to fit everyones needs at decent prices. I would love to see this mal before the holidays if thats possible. Im sure many people would apreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by improve View Post
    Sounds like a realy good idea Mal. It seems like many users are a little torn between netbooks and mobile companions. I would personaly like a head to head between the two.
    Cool. Will try to work on it this weekend.

I agree, there are a lot of choices now and it's certainly hard to choose.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    The BT keyboard option is interesting. I have one and meant to do a review on it awhile back, but the company stopped selling/supporting them. Still, a tiny screen and small phone battery are a problem, but they are fun.
    The advantage of the Redfly is, if you work with it for an extended period of time (assuming you use a cable and not the the BT connection) your phone is fully charged when you're done. Whereas, with the BT keyboard, your Treo will be seriously drained.

However, The BT keyboard does offer a smaller package to carry, especially when you look at the size of the Redfly's AC adapter.
    there are two totally different use cases here for two different devices.

This is how i use my redfly. i work in one of the worlds largest corporations. i spend my day in and out of real and virtual meetings and plan every minute of my day strictly with Office 2003 mail, contacts, calendar, tasks and notes. it governs my work and personal life.

works issues me a standard dell 14.1 inch laptop with wifi. we only have wifi connectivity in certain areas of the building so doing things during meetings is offline. even then i get about two hours of battery life during continous use with wifi off and screen brightness all the way down. it is very frutrating to say the least.

i got the redfly and it solved my problems. i get eight hours battery life and instant on. i can access all office functions on my phone with ease and also work online on my companies intranet when i connect through vpn. i do not need wifi since i have alwayson data on my phone.

having it small and easily portable is icing on the cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwrob View Post
    The advantage of the Redfly is, if you work with it for an extended period of time (assuming you use a cable and not the the BT connection) your phone is fully charged when you're done. Whereas, with the BT keyboard, your Treo will be seriously drained.

However, The BT keyboard does offer a smaller package to carry, especially when you look at the size of the Redfly's AC adapter.
    While I did like being able to carry my BT keyboard in my jacket pocket, the screen size makes the Redfly a great companion. Because of the incredible battery life, I only carry the Refly in a notebook case, and don't worry about AC adaptor, etc.

I found battery drain to be MUCH faster with a BT keyboard than the Redfly, even with a BT connection, presumably because the screen is off.
    Last edited by Bujin; 11/20/2008 at 09:43 AM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I was sorely disappointed to learn that the "MSI Wind" only has a 2.5hr battery life--that's just not acceptable
    My understanding is that the 6-cell Wind in underclocked mode has a 5.5-6 hour batter life with WiFi turned on.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    Different needs, different devices. I can certainly understand why redfly solves your needs cardesigner.

I tavel alot. I hate carrying extra wt. (for 2 day trip I will literally take 2 shirts, 2 socks, 2 underwear and toiletries in my backpack with computer and hope I don't spill anything on myself;-)

So I was looking for a very light wt computer. My phone is ok for simple responses, but did you every try to type 3 paragraphs on your phone. Not so easy. And looking up info on the internet when you are stuck at the airport for 2 hrs, or even more on your phone. While it's just amazing that you get web on the phone, it's not the same as on a computer.

I got the original asus eepc, put xp on it, and tethered it. In the hotel, it had wifi. In the airport, I had it tethered.

My only complaint with the small eepc is that the keyboard is too small to touch type, so writing those 3 paragraphs is still painful. Better than the phone w just thumbs, but you have to hunt and peck as you can't touch type. But having a screen at 1024 x 600 and running real windows (or even leaving on the ubunbtu) makes web browsing great.

I am seriously looking at the new larger devices. I don't need the 80 or 160 g hard drive, what I want is the lightest device that has a keybd that I touchtype on. It needs to run xp so I can tether. This will be a solution to my problems, not everyones.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12