Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    Can anybody tell me why WM is better than the Palm operating system? I switched from a 700p to a 800W (with a short trial of the Touch Pro) and it just seems to take longer to accomplish any of the basic tasks.

    Here are the advantages I've seen of the 800W:
    -It's smaller.
    -Pocket Internet Explorer is better than Blazer (but still nothing special).
    -It has wi-fi, although this isn't something that gets used a lot.
    -I like the 2 soft keys at the bottom of the screen.

    That being said, I am almost ready to switch back to the 700P for the following reasons:
    -Entering a new appointment, task, or note is quicker on the 700P.
    -Categories on the tasks are easier to cycle through and use.
    -WM does not use categories on the notes/memos making them harder to organize.
    -Is it just me or does anybody else have trouble telling which control on the 800W has the focus? It's very hard for me to use the 5 way because I can't tell which button or field is highlighted. On the 700P it is much easier to see the ring around the control.
    -The screens on the 800W seem more cramped yet do not seem to contain as much information as the Palm screens. See Daynotez or SplashShopper to see what I mean.
    -Speaking of SplashShopper and Daynotez, I'm having all sorts of problems with the WM versions and they ran just fine on the 700P.
  2. #2  
    There are a couple of really good threads on here for those of us who have moved from the Palm os to Windows mobile. I think all pretty much agree that POS is simpler. It is also a far more "mature" os and in most cases the software has been developed longer to do more, and do it more easily.

    Notes/memos on WM just don't compare to POS, and for practical reasons, I'm using only Evernote for my notes/memos on WM.
  3.    #3  
    The thing I don't like about Evernote on the PDA is that the notes are not accessible when you're not on the network. For example, if you're on a plane.

    Why do you use the 800W, instead of something with the POS? I'm just try to figure out if I'm missing something or not allowing enough time to learn the new system.
  4. #4  
    I like the selection of web browsers on wm and I think Kinoma Play does more in wm than the pos version could. I also use wifi a lot in buildings so it was a good upgrade. Other than that, pos suited me fine.
  5. #5  
    If I didn't drop my 700p in the driveway and break it, I would have ditched the 800W and gone back to the 700P. It was more reliable and intuitive.
  6. #6  
    I feel as though the 800w is more reliable than my 700p ever was. At times the 700p would simply reset while trying to answer a call or while you were in the middle of a conversation.

    If software fails on the 800w, most of the time it won't reset the entire device (unlike palm)

    On the 800w, opera mini actually works reliably. On the 700p, I can't find a browser that renders regular websites into a usable format and opera mini/JVM crashes ALL THE TIME.

    I'm very happy with the 800w in comparison the the 700p

    Have fun!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainchump View Post
    I feel as though the 800w is more reliable than my 700p ever was. At times the 700p would simply reset while trying to answer a call or while you were in the middle of a conversation.

    If software fails on the 800w, most of the time it won't reset the entire device (unlike palm)

    On the 800w, opera mini actually works reliably. On the 700p, I can't find a browser that renders regular websites into a usable format and opera mini/JVM crashes ALL THE TIME.

    I'm very happy with the 800w in comparison the the 700p

    Have fun!
    I bit the bullet and bought an 800W. I really like it! I was suprised. The Palm is a little more user friendly and a little easier to use.

    But all in all, I really like Windows Mobile.

    I am pissed that IE on Windows Mobile will not allow you to go to Youtube or Youporn.com...LOL
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx View Post
    I bit the bullet and bought an 800W. I really like it! I was suprised. The Palm is a little more user friendly and a little easier to use.
    To each his own, but I don't think there's any comparison in terms of ease-of-use. WinMob is capable of doing things the P-OS doesn't really do, or doesn't do well, but of the things that both platforms do the P-OS is far easier to use. Virtually everything on the WinMob takes more clicks, taps, or button pushes than on P-OS. The screens on WinMob tend to be busier and harder to read, menus are longer and require more scrolling, and WinMob still doesn't work nearly as well without a stylus.

    MS still doesn't seem to understand the difference between a mouse-driven, large screen experience and a no-mouse, small screen interface. 6.x is better in those respects than 5.x, but not much.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    To each his own, but I don't think there's any comparison in terms of ease-of-use. WinMob is capable of doing things the P-OS doesn't really do, or doesn't do well, but of the things that both platforms do the P-OS is far easier to use. Virtually everything on the WinMob takes more clicks, taps, or button pushes than on P-OS. The screens on WinMob tend to be busier and harder to read, menus are longer and require more scrolling, and WinMob still doesn't work nearly as well without a stylus.

    MS still doesn't seem to understand the difference between a mouse-driven, large screen experience and a no-mouse, small screen interface. 6.x is better in those respects than 5.x, but not much.
    That's been my impression so far. As far as what WM can do that POS can't do, I really haven't seen anything that has impressed me yet. Sure, you can customize the Today screen, but that doesn't hold that much interest for me. And you can text and surf at the same time, again nothing I need to do. My main criteria is one handed ease, and the 700p wins, not just on the core programs, but also the third party apps.

    Also, I can't get the WM versions of SplashShopper, Bonsai, or Daynotez to work on the 800W and I used those regularly on the 700P.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    To each his own, but I don't think there's any comparison in terms of ease-of-use. WinMob is capable of doing things the P-OS doesn't really do, or doesn't do well, but of the things that both platforms do the P-OS is far easier to use. Virtually everything on the WinMob takes more clicks, taps, or button pushes than on P-OS. The screens on WinMob tend to be busier and harder to read, menus are longer and require more scrolling, and WinMob still doesn't work nearly as well without a stylus.

    MS still doesn't seem to understand the difference between a mouse-driven, large screen experience and a no-mouse, small screen interface. 6.x is better in those respects than 5.x, but not much.
    You are correct about the ease of use when it comes to palm devices. I'm comparing my g/f's palm os phone with mine right now and on some things, it does take several clicks to get the same job done. However, when using the two most important pim related apps to me, (cal and tasks) I feel that ease of use and features sometimes beats palm. On the calendar application I can simply start typing on a time and hit ok, just like I would with the pOS. Tasks are just as easy. When setting recurring events on winmob in the cal app, they don't get screwed up into oblivion during a sync like palm does (anyone remember that memory clearing application that would clear old events to fix syncs?).

    I feel that winmob is truly coming into it's own and will be the replacement for pOS if only they speed it up and make the pim apps as quick and user friendly as the pOS counterparts. Palm is doing a great job helping MS in this direction with the many shortcuts/feature they've added and the stability of the winmob platform will make many palm fans come to the dark side.

Posting Permissions