Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Guys,

After reading the article (and seeing the picture) at WMexperts, I took my Pro out of its case and lo! two cracks already in the device; one below the volume button but the other one is on the battery cover, far away from any potential stress points.

I started a chat conversation with a Palm CS rep and sure enough, it seems to be a Treo Pro-blem (the lousiest pun of the day, I called it!) and they will start a service request number to follow-up.

I am now on the phone trying to get a hold of the right department and see where this goes... stay tuned!
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    So they want to escalate me to Tier 2 technical customer support to see if they approve this. That's weird...

Anyhow, they just closed shop for the day and they will be calling me back on Monday to continue the saga
    Like I said in another Thread:

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Yep,

Too much hardner in the Plastic mix.
    I'm pretty sure the guy running the 'Plastic Making Machine' got a 'Written Warning'.
    If it happens again, he will be suspended for two weeks with pay.
    Just call me Berd.
    Waldo...when they call back as if it's universal or limited to just a few devices.
    My message to Palm Inc now is: If you cannot promise a date to change for my device, REFUND IT!

I will do whatever I can to let them pay. And my patience is only 7 days long.

And I can promise Palm my damage to their reputation, goodwill and future cash flow will be much much much bigger than my personal loss!

It's just a few hundreds bucks to me, but for Palm,that is a whole new product line!!

Now I'm turning more to HATE than love towards this sinking firm...
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treopq View Post
    My message to Palm Inc now is: If you cannot promise a date to change for my device, REFUND IT!

I will do whatever I can to let them pay. And my patience is only 7 days long.

And I can promise Palm my damage to their reputation, goodwill and future cash flow will be much much much bigger than my personal loss!

It's just a few hundreds bucks to me, but for Palm,that is a whole new product line!!

Now I'm turning more to HATE than love towards this sinking firm...
    That's just wrong. If they can't provide you with a date, just get a refund for the pro.

I knew the iPhone had some cracking issue too, but I don't think its this bad.

I suggest that you just get the refund, don't wait for 7 agonizing days

Palm is a sinking ship. I don't think even EP and Jon Rubinstein can keep this ship afloat.
    Their last two products have been plagued by glaring deficiencies (cracks in the Pro and GPS/headset/volume/battery etc issues in the 800w).

Someone needs to take charge of things over there.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Latest news here: I have a CS rep contact me directly and she wanted me to send her pictures of how the cracks in my device look like. I sent her a few shots now and let's see what the big tech support honchos have to say.

I have now been taking a very close look at every surface of my phone, I am affraid now any day new cracks will start popping up. I mean, I paid top dollar for this thing, I expect it not to crumble all of a sudden!
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    .. it seems to be a Treo Pro-blem (the lousiest pun of the day, I called it!)
    So jealous I did not think of that for the article

(quietly hoping for another article to use that! lol)

Otherwise, keep us updated.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    So jealous I did not think of that for the article

(quietly hoping for another article to use that! lol)

Otherwise, keep us updated.
    Indeed a worthy pun ... and you guys are more than welcome to use it in the future...

Now the latest news. I did send the pictures with the cracks and the Palm tech support (tier 2) acknowledged they were not user-generated, so they will be shipping in 1-2 business days a replacement unit. Now, this is where things get a bit on the weird side: they are asking me to return the cracked Pro in its original packaging, including everything that came with it: charging cable, charger, headphones, etc. This is the first time I have had such a request, in the past it was just a matter of switching the handset and not the peripherals; which leads me to believe that they will be shipping a brand-new unit and not a refurbished one as I was used to back in my 700p days.

Also I got an email with confirmation of my service request number, but the title calls it a service request to participate in Palm's Early Customer Feedback Program. This now makes me put my best WTF face since I have no idea how they are dealing with this exchange and why even I should be considered a participant in an early customer feedback program.

Maybe all of us who bought the unlocked Treo are in fact Guinea pigs running a massive test for AT&T? Call that my big conspiracy theory of the day.

I'll keep you guys in the loop.
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Indeed a worthy pun ... and you guys are more than welcome to use it in the future...

Now the latest news. I did send the pictures with the cracks and the Palm tech support (tier 2) acknowledged they were not user-generated, so they will be shipping in 1-2 business days a replacement unit. Now, this is where things get a bit on the weird side: they are asking me to return the cracked Pro in its original packaging, including everything that came with it: charging cable, charger, headphones, etc. This is the first time I have had such a request, in the past it was just a matter of switching the handset and not the peripherals; which leads me to believe that they will be shipping a brand-new unit and not a refurbished one as I was used to back in my 700p days.
    I'll keep you guys in the loop.
    At least u got it replaced. I have a cracked case too between the power button and volume switch, but since I'm in Asia(Malaysia to be exact) the palm CS has said my phone is now "out of warranty and will NOT replace it". I suppose there are different standards for dealing with US and Asian customers There goes my trust in palm after having been using it since the palm IIIc!
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caj54 View Post
    At least u got it replaced. I have a cracked case too between the power button and volume switch, but since I'm in Asia(Malaysia to be exact) the palm CS has said my phone is now "out of warranty and will NOT replace it". I suppose there are different standards for dealing with US and Asian customers There goes my trust in palm after having been using it since the palm IIIc!
    So the asian Treo Pro warranty does not cover the cracks? That's very weird. If this is a manufacturing defect, Palm should replace the damaged units.

FWIK, palm do not handle the them directly in Asia (like in the US). There are usually some distributor in your local area that handles the Treo Pro distribution. I would suggest to get in touch with the distributor itself to see if they can help you. Its a long shot, but given the limited options that you have, it doesn't hurt to try.
    Quote Originally Posted by janric View Post
    So the asian Treo Pro warranty does not cover the cracks? That's very weird. If this is a manufacturing defect, Palm should replace the damaged units.

FWIK, palm do not handle the them directly in Asia (like in the US). There are usually some distributor in your local area that handles the Treo Pro distribution. I would suggest to get in touch with the distributor itself to see if they can help you. Its a long shot, but given the limited options that you have, it doesn't hurt to try.
    Tried that already. . They referred me to 'Palm Asia'. And Palm Asia Customer Service was the one that says it not covered under warranty and that mine is the ONLY unit that is cracked in Asia. But that's not according to their own Palm web forum. There's another case in Indonesia. BTW, I bought my TP within a week of its launch in Singapore.
    Since you stayed in Asia back to IIIxe time, you should've known that Palm never treated Asian equally in the past.

Service team was withdrawed from China years ago, no unicode support for Asian language, only left a dumb call center in singapore...
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Tried that already. . They referred me to 'Palm Asia'. And Palm Asia Customer Service was the one that says it not covered under warranty and that mine is the ONLY unit that is cracked in Asia. But that's not according to their own Palm web forum. There's another case in Indonesia. BTW, I bought my TP within a week of its launch in Singapore.
    I have the same problem with you from Palm Asia. They says it is out of the warranty too! I say screw them, and escalated to their manager.

Even the manager is trying to quote me their limited warranty. I refused to give in, and I have gave him the link of the forum thread, so that he can take a look for himself.

My set is bought in Singapore from M1.
    VoodooEx

My life story:
    Palm V ~ CLIE N760c ~ Xda ~ HP 2210 ~ SE P900 ~ Xda II ~ PalmOne T3 ~ Xda IIs ~ Treo 650 ~ Treo 750v ~ LG KS20 ~ Samsung Omnia ~ Treo Pro
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooEx View Post
    I have the same problem with you from Palm Asia. They says it is out of the warranty too! I say screw them, and escalated to their manager.

Even the manager is trying to quote me their limited warranty. I refused to give in, and I have gave him the link of the forum thread, so that he can take a look for himself.

So what happened? Did they budge? Did you quote them about the thread in the Palm support forums and Treocentral? Please keep us informed as I am in Asia and would like to know where this will go to.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooEx View Post

Quote Originally Posted by janric View Post
    So what happened? Did they budge? Did you quote them about the thread in the Palm support forums and Treocentral? Please keep us informed as I am in Asia and would like to know where this will go to.
    I would like to know too because when I spoke to the Palm CS, he kept on insisting that whatever is on the Palm forum has a disclaimer that says Palm is not liable for whatever is written on it and need not follow up on it as anybody could write in it. As for the other forums, Palm Asia ignores it completely as it's not officially from Palm .
    Quote Originally Posted by treopq View Post
    Since you stayed in Asia back to IIIxe time, you should've known that Palm never treated Asian equally in the past.

Service team was withdrawed from China years ago, no unicode support for Asian language, only left a dumb call center in singapore...
    Is the call center in Singapore? The office may be in Singapore, but the few times that I have called, all of them sounded Filipino.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Is the call center in Singapore? The office may be in Singapore, but the few times that I have called, all of them sounded Filipino.
    The call center is in the Philippines. I've verified this a few years ago when I had to fix my 680. I guess you may have been sucker punched by Palm
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I would like to know too because when I spoke to the Palm CS, he kept on insisting that whatever is on the Palm forum has a disclaimer that says Palm is not liable for whatever is written on it and need not follow up on it as anybody could write in it. As for the other forums, Palm Asia ignores it completely as it's not officially from Palm .
    I am still waiting for the Manager to give me a call back while he further investigate.
    VoodooEx

My life story:
    Palm V ~ CLIE N760c ~ Xda ~ HP 2210 ~ SE P900 ~ Xda II ~ PalmOne T3 ~ Xda IIs ~ Treo 650 ~ Treo 750v ~ LG KS20 ~ Samsung Omnia ~ Treo Pro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast