Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Sorry no blackberry connect. The best way to sync with the cloud as mentioned is with an exchange server. If you want I can set you up with an account on my exchange server (OWA & Activesync).
    Global Posts
    2,653 Global Posts
    I always have to put pocket bible from Laridian on my external brain.
  3. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Ok, this may seem an off-the-wall question (and I couldn't find a more clear-cut choice of threads to post it in)... what are you (the various editors doing the RR) doing in terms of regular article-writing during the RR? The software/accessory reviews that you'd normally write, I mean. Do you hand it off to someone else on that site? Postpone it until after the RR? Seems hard to test if it's something specific to your normal phone and your normal phone isn't available for a while.

Just too curious not to ask; I don't recall any references to this question from last year, and haven't seen any in what I've read now. And if there is a relevant thread, reroute away...
  4.    #24  
    Probably varies from editor to editor a bit. I don't have my bold, but I already have some accessory reviews in the hopper for it. Also have some other BB's at my side I can always turn on if I need to install an app or check something out (just over WiFi - without activating to BIS). So I think for the most part we can make it work when we need to for our regular duties.
    Kevin Michaluk
    Community Editor, CrackBerry.com
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackBerry Kevin View Post
    Thanks Guys,

Lots of good stuff above. Few things:

a) Just with the standard adding an email account. I added my gmail the other night, and it seems the device just chokes on it. I don't really delete my gmail inbox, so I have about 17,000 messages in there. It seems like the device wants to pull a good chunk of them). So I have 800 messages in my inbox, I set the device to check for new messages regularly (like every 15 minutes I think)...but I have yet to see the Treo Pro actually bring in any new messages and alert me that I have email. I've just been sitting with the same inbox for two days now. And If I open the email app and send/receive.. it connects..then nothing really happens. I don't need it to attempt to pull all my old email in..just need the new messages coming through from the time I set it up and onward.
    How did you set up your email, POP or IMAP? Gmail allows you to setup either way, I'd go with IMAP. Also, on your initial account setup you can specify to bring in only the past day, 2 days, week, ect worth of email.

b) Opera Mini. Ok, so I installed Opera Mini but I didn't upgrade the Java engine first. Just went to operamini.com/beta and installed 4.2. It looks like it installed ok. Though I couldn't find the app icon at first. I eventually discovered that within Programs you need to click the Java icon and then you can open Opera Mini within there. But Opera Mini doesn't seem to actually work. So how do I upgrade the Java engine?

c) will give skyfire a try.
    Forget Opera Mini and use Opera Mobile. You can try skyfire if you want but Opera Mobile does a better job of wrapping text to fit in a column so you don't have to side scroll - useful when reading blogs.
    e) what's with having to hold down the camera key (left side key) for so long before the action results? it's like a 3 second hold... can i change to make it quicker?
    That's just one of the 'features' Palm devices have had for a while. I guess it's supposed to stop accidental presses. If you want to add the ability to launch an app with a single click download and extract sidekey.zip. Use a registry editor to import the .reg file and then go to Start>Settings>Buttons and there should be a button called 'Side' with a camera icon next to it. I know this works on the 800w, should work on the Treo Pro.

f) are there any mailbox shortcuts? like if i'm at the bottom of my 800 messages and want to jump to the top of the inbox? how do i do that without having to yank out the stylus and scroll?
    If you're at the bottom you should be able to keep scrolling down and once you get past the last message it should take you to the top. If you're at the top scroll up and it should take you to the bottom.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I think that I am about to take the plunge from my Treo 680 (Palm OS) into the land of the Treo Pro. (Thanks to DELL who is offering the Pro for $100 off through 11/19/08.) My work e-mail and calendar is Groupwise. With my current phone, I use Intellisync. Not being at all familiar with WinMo, what would you folks here in Round Robin land suggest for syncing? (I am not excited about push e-mail, so computer to Treo Pro is what I am thinking. On my 680, I can remotely pull the e-mail in when need be.)

Thanks in advance!
    Kev,

My suggestion would also be for you to use Java and Opera Mini 4.2. It has a learning curve that takes about 3.5 seconds.

As far as games go... Astraware Sudoku for the 320x320 screen is amazing and has awesome playability with out using a stylus.

Email is a cinch and as I pointed out to Jennifer with the Fuze, you should look into installing Dashwire. It's a contact syncing program that allows you to do OTA contact syncs. They continually support and update their product and free beats cheap anyday.
    Gmail IMAP settings are set to 50 messages by default. I'm not sure how you've managed to pull down 800 at once. If you want to work with that all at once then just use Google's online portal or visit the main site through a webrowser.

Opera Mobile is slooooow but use it if you can. But know that the 'new' version of it is so beta that most of the features (e.g. Flash) don't work. With Opera Mini I've got it as my default browser and have a shortcut to it on my programs menu. Mini has faster page display cos it uses Opera servers to format the content. I would recommend (if you are going to try a reinstall) to get a Multicertificate version of Mini. Then you can tell it to never ask you when connecting to the internet and saving to a card when downloading files.
    When you say it doesn't work - what does it do exactly?
    Skyfire is beta and US only. Thus I've never used it and probably never will even if they opened it out to Europe.

Regarding the bringing out of sleep: Maybe there's a tweak for it but I wouldn't recommend what you are planning. You will probably end up with it switching itself on in your bag or pocket and making some phone calls that you didn't expect. You can turn keyguard off though by it's icon in Settings if you dare.

Mail shortcuts: Hold Option and up or down to page up or down.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    I've got an 800w, not a Pro, so forgive me if there is a built-in program for a Soft Reset, but if there ISN'T...

Soft Reset is an essential windows mobile tool
    Thanks Guys,

Lots of good stuff above. Few things:

d) is there any way to make the center Palm button bring the device out of sleep? I naturally want to click that one to bring it awake (and then again to unlock it). But instead I need to click one of the other keys first, then the Palm button. Would much rather just click the Palm button twice.
    I'm gonna say not without a hack. It would be easy to double tap the center button but it's not suppose to be easy.

I can hear the Palm rep now, "We designed the button sequence to wake the Treo Pro to require two buttons to prevent accidentally hitting the same button twice. If this was limited to one button, the chances of accidentally waking up the Pro would increase resulting in unwanted touch screen activations."
    Quote Originally Posted by lecture3waves View Post
    GPS:
    -iGO 8 (paid) <- The best GPS software for Windows mobile. Great UI, fast, gives spoken directions, POI search, doesnt need internet connection
    Not to start any discussions, but this is at least subjective. I agree that for a lot of people iGO has the biggest WOW-factor. I've read by several that they have it installed just to show off and impress friends.

For day to day usage, the interface looks unconsistent, complicated and the spoken instructions can improve a lot.

If you ever drove around with Navigon, you'll know what I mean with a clean, consistent and user-friendly interface, and the spoken instructions are so good you can drive without watching the map most of the time.

Just my 0.02!
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
    f) are there any mailbox shortcuts? like if i'm at the bottom of my 800 messages and want to jump to the top of the inbox? how do i do that without having to yank out the stylus and scroll?

any links to good how to use windows mobile on the treo pro articles i should check out? i read some of the reviews..but wouldn't mind a good newbie walkthrough.
    I've posted about a whole list of mailbox shortcuts, and of course you'll find some more useful posts too.
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
    d) is there any way to make the center Palm button bring the device out of sleep? I naturally want to click that one to bring it awake (and then again to unlock it).
    Now that you mention it, yes no standard way to do that. I've been using press red button and centre button to bring it out of sleep (since my thumb can easily find those without looking)
    g) also curious - for you pros out there... exactly how often do you actually use the stylus vs. your fingers? i'm finding a lot of things my fingers aren't accurate enough for
    I almost never take out the stylus on my TreoPro, since I like to use it one handed. With some practice I'm almost as accurate with my right thumb as my stylus. For scrolling with IEMobile, I use the D-Pad up and down or thumb press on the scroll bar bottom or top. Where, the icons to touch is small and I needed extra careful thumbs, I tend to substitute the touches with equivalent D-Pad moves (where possible).
    any links to good how to use windows mobile on the treo pro articles i should check out?
    Have you been to http://www.treoprotricks.com ? New site, but filled with must read articles for TreoPro users. I see oVan have just linked to one of his posts there.
    Last edited by sabre23t; 11/17/2008 at 02:46 AM.
    regards, sabre23t =^.^=
    Hi Kevin,

I'd be really curious to hear how you are liking Windows Mobile so far, as compared with Blackberry OS, not in any particular way, just your initial visceral reaction. I'm just wondering if you find the WM UI to be intuitive, and were able to get the basics up and running right away (I saw upthread that you seem to have had trouble getting the email to work the way you wanted it to), or has it been a real learning curve coming from Blackberry. Just trying to gauge what I'd be in for if ever I were to cross over the Treo/Blackberry divide. Thanks!
    Thanks Guys,

b) Opera Mini. Ok, so I installed Opera Mini but I didn't upgrade the Java engine first. Just went to operamini.com/beta and installed 4.2. It looks like it installed ok. Though I couldn't find the app icon at first. I eventually discovered that within Programs you need to click the Java icon and then you can open Opera Mini within there. But Opera Mini doesn't seem to actually work. So how do I upgrade the Java engine?
    forum.xda-developers
    .com/showthread.php?t=384271

(my post count is 0, so I can't post any links )

This has everything you need, incl. java engine.

e) what's with having to hold down the camera key (left side key) for so long before the action results? it's like a 3 second hold... can i change to make it quicker?
    my guess is a big fat no
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Are you sure you'd want to? One of the more minor (but very irritating) problems I had with my BB Bold was that you only had to touch the side button and the camera started up. At least two or three times, when I was trying to start another application up at the same time, the Bold froze and I eventually had to reset it.
    Kevin,

I've been using a Treo since Handspring first came out with the 300 so i've really developed my personal system of working with the units. I currently use a Treo 755p on Sprint.

I take out the stylus whenever I'm going to do a series of tasks or if I need to be sure that I complete my work accurately or efficiently. If I'm just going to do one or two (or a very few) quick things, I use my finger. I almost never use the D-pad because I have found that I can work more quickly with my finger. Even more specifically, I use the nail of my thumb rather than the pad of any of the other fingers.

Good luck!
    Sorry, I have nothing productive to say on this that hasn't already been addressed by others, I just wanted to LOL at Kevin on a Treo again publicly lmao
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Definitely use those email shortcuts. Not sure if you have subfolders in you mail account, but one thing I like about WinMobile is the structured layout of your inbox and subfolders. Oh and don't forget to try the mail search feature. That truly blew me away the first time I used it. Just go to you inbox and just start typing for what your looking for and the result will be filtered. Truly a thing of magic
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    eh, there is email search on the blackberry. Kevin probably has his ebay bold in his back-pocket to reassure himself.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast