1.    #1  
    I noticed that after a minute of not being touched, the backlight would turn off, but the screen was definitely still on. A single press of any key would register as such, and turn the backlight on again.

Thing is, after a minute of non-use, the whole phone should turn off - not just the backlight. So I disabled "turn backlight off" in the screen settings, but I still have "turn phone off" checked in the power settings.

The phone has now been sitting next to me for many several minutes, powered on and illuminated. I could always turn it off myself with the power button, sure, but shouldn't I not have to? What's going on?
    The phone is using your AC (power connected) power settings.

Plug your power in once and unplug it (after a soft reset), and it will use the correct settings.
  3.    #3  
    Considering the frequency with which I soft reset this phone, I wish there was an external power switch to cut the battery's connection. I can't tell you how sick and tired I am of constantly having to remove this battery door because my phone isn't behaving as it should.
  4.    #4  
    And, uhm, actually... I just checked, and I have the "turn off after a minute" box checked in the external power settings as well. So, whether the phone falsely believes it is plugged in or not, shouldn't it still turn off?
  5.    #5  
    Oh this is fun! Now, instead of turning off after some inactivity, the screen becomes entirely white, and illuminated.

I want to like this phone. I really do. But it's certainly not making that very easy for me!

Not just illuminated, mind you. Illuminated at 100%, even though it's only at 50% when I'm using it. Fan tas tic.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Whoa, you have some funky issues going on there. If that were happening to me, I'd hard reset, clean the battery terminals, make darn sure the battery pins in the phone are sticking out equally far for good measure, and see what happens for awhile. No reg hacks, no software, no redfly, no nothing.

If you can reproduce it in the store, bonus points because you'll get a replacement phone.

Someone else here found an interesting bug with the power off setting...I can't recall what it was, but when you set something one way the phone would never power off. Or am I dreaming that...I wouldn't even know what to search for at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by haus View Post
    Someone else here found an interesting bug with the power off setting...I can't recall what it was, but when you set something one way the phone would never power off. Or am I dreaming that...I wouldn't even know what to search for at this point.
    I already posted it above.

je255j: Something sounds incorrect. I mess with (and mess up) my device a lot, and if I soft reset more than once or twice a week it's a lot.

I would backup, hard reset, and use the device plain for a few days and see if the issues go away. If they do, then it's a setting/software that was installed that caused it.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    je255j: Something sounds incorrect. I mess with (and mess up) my device a lot, and if I soft reset more than once or twice a week it's a lot.

I would backup, hard reset, and use the device plain for a few days and see if the issues go away. If they do, then it's a setting/software that was installed that caused it.
    I wish I could make it though a day soft resetting as often as you do in a week.

I can (and probably will) do (another) hard reset, but the thing is, what I've installed doesn't strike me as being all that questionable of software. Do any of these seem untrustworthy to you?

BeeJive IM
    RedFly
    Google Maps
    LogMeIn
    Micsoft .NET 3.5
    MS Live Search
    OctroChat
    OZ Instant Messaging
    WordCorrector

I'm not even using the Today plug-ins for any of those. My Today page is super boring - Phone lookup dialer thing, speed dial, calendar, and Google search.

My point is, I don't feel as if I'm pushing this device all that hard, and it's wildly unstable anyway.
    Out of what you listed I use the following:

RedFly
    Google Maps
    LogMeIn
    MS Live Search

I've had problems with Microsoft .NET Framework (any of them) with my 700wx and 800w. It slows the device down a lot and seems to make it unstable.

I avoid .NET applications (except those that run with the native .NET framework) at all costs.

As I said before, do a hard reset and use your device for a while completely stock (preferably several days). If the problem still exists, then you have a defective device.

While it's certainly possible you have a defective device (my guess would be a bad/incomplete flash) it's most likely a setting/program installed.
  10.    #10  
    I don't even remember which app required .NET. I had wanted to say it was LogMeIn, but if you're running that and don't have .NET, then I suppose I don't remember. Hmm.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Ebag333, I was referring to this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=169679

Hannip indicated it was a bug that resolved itself after some soft resets; for the OP in that thread it seemed to be a faulty app.

Completely agree on the .NET comments; I always avoid it and seem to have fewer stability issues now.
    That thread may be related to what zbop pointed out about the 800w using the wrong power settings (AC instead of battery).

Sure sounds like it at least....
  13.    #13  
    As recommended, I performed a hard reset last night. After doing so, all I've done is configure my Today screen (using only what was available out of the box) to my liking, re-sync'd my contacts from the PC, and re-enabled Exchange email and Gmail.

Let's see, I also disabled "turn off backlight" for both battery and external power, but left "turn off after 1 minute" checked for both battery and external power. And, oh yeah, re-enabled ClearType.

And, that's it! I'll see if things run more stable today. If they do, I will move forward carefully only installing one new app at a time, always creating a backup first, so that I can roll back to that instead of merely uninstalling.

So far, so good, but it's only been a few hours.
  14.    #14  
    .....sigh.....

As I type this, my 800w is beside me. The screen is solid white, and illuminated. After 1 minute of inactivity, instead of turning off, it goes to this state. It will stay like this for a little while (I have not timed it, but I would estimate another minute) and then goes off, the way it was supposed to in the first place.

Then, if you leave it sitting, untouched, while "off", it occasionally returns to its solid white and illuminated state, and stays that way for an unpredictable, though short, amount of time, before again returning to its proper powered down state. As of this sentence, it is now off again. But, for how long, is anyone's guess.

Dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by je255j View Post
    As I type this, my 800w is beside me. The screen is solid white, and illuminated. After 1 minute of inactivity, instead of turning off, it goes to this state. It will stay like this for a little while (I have not timed it, but I would estimate another minute) and then goes off, the way it was supposed to in the first place.

Then, if you leave it sitting, untouched, while "off", it occasionally returns to its solid white and illuminated state, and stays that way for an unpredictable, though short, amount of time, before again returning to its proper powered down state. As of this sentence, it is now off again. But, for how long, is anyone's guess.
    Well this is a different issue at least.

Did you try soft resetting? I have occasionally (maybe 3-4 times) had this happen, and a soft reset fixed it.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Well this is a different issue at least.

Did you try soft resetting? I have occasionally (maybe 3-4 times) had this happen, and a soft reset fixed it.
    I tried soft resetting a little while ago. Hour? Half hour? Not sure.

The problem is still occurring, right this very moment, as I am writing this.

Try a hard reset and see if it happens without anything at all on the device.

But I would start gathering everything up and take it to a Sprint store. Sounds like a defective device myself.