Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I like the OZ app that came with the Touch, but I have been using Nimbuzz, it is free, and it will let you do Face book and others, I like the way it looks, and handles things.
    Terry
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    beejive,
    but a battery hog.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by nitty917 View Post
    beejive,
    but a battery hog.
    After a recent hard reset somehow I cannot use Beejive anymore. I can't seem to activate it. Palringo is OK but the MSN spam is a pain. Fring is free but interfers with the Keyguard. Agile is nice but horrible fonts (I guess will be OK on RealVGA)
    Anyway since I am a licensed IM+ user for Palm I have decided to go with the "upgrade" to PPC for 10 bucks.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by janric View Post
    Did anyone tried Mundu IM 4.0? I am not sure if it works with winmo 6.1 and with the TP. But I had this application on my 680 and it worked flawlessly.
    Ronbo recommended Mundu to me. I liked it. Although it was somewhat slow to initially load. Trial has since ran out. I couldn't bring myself to buy it.
    (I'm cheap that way)

Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    I like the OZ app that came with the Touch, but I have been using Nimbuzz, it is free, and it will let you do Face book and others, I like the way it looks, and handles things.
    Terry
    I'm really liking Nimbuzz. (And it's Free! )

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    I can't believe nobody mentioned Fring. It is a unified messenger that includes MSN, Yahoo, Skype, AIM, G-talk, and best of all, Twitter!
    I tried Fring.
    It was unstable on my GTP.
    I'm not sure if it was because of other apps I had that it was conflicting with or what.
    Just call me Berd.
    Actually,

I think Slick is going to be the one for me.

I'll give it a couple more days and post back.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitty917 View Post
    beejive,
    but a battery hog.
    Are there any messaging apps that aren't battery hogs? If so, I'd really like to know. I'm just using the AIM app because I don't really use any other messaging services, but I don't dare log onto it unless I know I'll be near my charger sometime soon. The only AIM messaging app that I've ever seen that doesn't destroy your battery is the one built into blackberrys.
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVESKI07 View Post
    Are there any messaging apps that aren't battery hogs? If so, I'd really like to know.
    Not really.

By nature, IM apps have to maintain a connection to the data server so as to keep your buddies presence updated or to receive new messages. The longer the "ping" frequency to the server, the better the battery life but the worst "real time" updates you get and vice versa.

The Sprint IM client works off of an SMS-relay system. You connect up to server that then maintains your presence for you. When a new IM comes in, that server sends a special "hidden" SMS that your device recognizes. This then wakes your device, which re-connects to the server and wholla--new IM message.

In turn you get awesome battery life with Sprint's client. Downside? It is based on SMS when in standby and so can be very slow on initial contact.

So, your only solution: use a dedicated client and get an extended battery (the Seidio 3500mah works wells for this) and you can basically leave it on 14hrs a day and still have half your battery left or, use Sprint's solution and live with its slowness.

I'm with IM+ right now and have a 3500mah battery. Octro is also good for Google Voip and chat.

Wanna see some real numbers? Check out Werner's IM Bible--little bit dated, but you'll get the idea.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Not really.

By nature, IM apps have to maintain a connection to the data server so as to keep your buddies presence updated or to receive new messages. The longer the "ping" frequency to the server, the better the battery life but the worst "real time" updates you get and vice versa.

The Sprint IM client works off of an SMS-relay system. You connect up to server that then maintains your presence for you. When a new IM comes in, that server sends a special "hidden" SMS that your device recognizes. This then wakes your device, which re-connects to the server and wholla--new IM message.

In turn you get awesome battery life with Sprint's client. Downside? It is based on SMS when in standby and so can be very slow on initial contact.

So, your only solution: use a dedicated client and get an extended battery (the Seidio 3500mah works wells for this) and you can basically leave it on 14hrs a day and still have half your battery left or, use Sprint's solution and live with its slowness.

I'm with IM+ right now and have a 3500mah battery. Octro is also good for Google Voip and chat.

Wanna see some real numbers? Check out Werner's IM Bible--little bit dated, but you'll get the idea.
    Awesome, I actually never even tried the Sprint messaging app but I think it will work perfectly for what I need. I never tried it because I just assumed it was just Windows Messenger and not AIM. It doesn't bother me if there is a slight delay in the incoming messages, what's important to me is to always be signed on an available if needed and to keep my battery lasting the whole day. Thanks for the info!
    FYI palringo supports facebook chat
    Does anyone one have the cab file for nimbuzz? I tried downloading the one from their site, phone freezes when I launch it. I'm running it on real vga.

Edit: Looks like it was real vga causing the issue. Now that I have configured my account. I will try to set real vga back to 96dpi.

Update: It doesn't work with realvga...booo
    Last edited by chocmatic; 06/23/2009 at 01:59 PM.
    Current Device: Treo Pro

Devices: Palm m100 -> Palm m505 -> Toshiba E330 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p ->Treo 700wx -> Treo 800w -> HTC Touch Pro
    WLM and skype so far...what @ really need is something like what I had on the Instinct for recording a voice mail then sending it...any ideas?
    I installed Beejive the other day and I like the interface. It's very similar to Adium on OSX where you get one buddy list for all your accounts. I may take a look at some of the other suggestions here but Beejive seems like it's pretty good.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123