Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I am interested in getting a used smartphone that has the following:

-GPS

-Wifi

-Touchscreen

-MicroSD Card

I want to get the Garmin Mobile XT and install it in the smartphone. It appears as if the Palm Treo 800w meets all of these requirements. I just want to check here and verify that the Palm Treo 800w does indeed work with Garmin Mobile XT software. The reason that I want to double check is one area of the Garmin webpage does not list the Palm Treo 800w, but in another area it indicates that they are compatible with one another. If anybody here is using the Palm Treo 800w with Garmin Mobile XT, I would love to hear how well they work together. Also, if anybody knows of any other places that I can read up on these two working with one another, please post a link. If someone has a recommendation for a different smartphone, please let me know. Finally, is Ebay the best place to buy something like this used or are there other places that I should be looking.

I guess I didn't use the right search terms the first time, because I see this has been discussed here. If there are any other things I should know about these two together, please advise.

I read through some of the other posts and just to clarify, I want to buy a used Palm Treo 800w, BUT I do not intend to subscribe to a cellular plan. I only want this for 911 in an emergency. I will use the Garmin XT and the wifi. If I understand this correctly from reading previous posts, the Garmin Mobile XT will work fine without a subscription. I assume that is also the case for wifi.
    Last edited by Jim1348; 11/12/2008 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Added Details
    XT works great with the 800w.

Not sure how well it would work without a sprint pcs plan though. Impossible for me to test.

I know it will not work with the phone radio off but without a plan you can still turn on the radio and still see the towers so in theory it should still work.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Jim1348 - The Treo 800w GPS only works in areas with a compatible cellular signal in order for it to acquire system time. That leaves out some of the USA and a whole lot of the world. The Treo 800w does not have a true stand alone GPS, it's aGPS.

You would likely be better off with a device that does true stand alone GPS and aGPS, like the HTC Touch Pro. You could also get the Treo Pro, but there have been many complaints about that device getting cracks.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Thank you very much for the replies. I may have to find somebody near me that has one for sale used and see if it works. I do know that the cell phones are supposed to work on wireless 911 in an emergency even without a subscription, so maybe it is affiliating with the towers and getting GPS data even though it is not subscribed. One other thing, if I get a used Palm Treo 800w, will it be able to dial 911 right out of the box or does it have to have been subscribed at some point for this do work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    Thank you very much for the replies. I may have to find somebody near me that has one for sale used and see if it works. I do know that the cell phones are supposed to work on wireless 911 in an emergency even without a subscription, so maybe it is affiliating with the towers and getting GPS data even though it is not subscribed. One other thing, if I get a used Palm Treo 800w, will it be able to dial 911 right out of the box or does it have to have been subscribed at some point for this do work?
    The 911 should work out the box far as I know. And it should be able to pull the GPS system time if within range of a compatible cell signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    And it should be able to pull the GPS system time if within range of a compatible cell signal.
    I have a new in box 800w coming today and over the weekend I will put gpsgate on it first and run that and a nubmer of diagnostics to see for sure
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I have a new in box 800w coming today and over the weekend I will put gpsgate on it first and run that and a nubmer of diagnostics to see for sure
    Good, please keep us posted.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Yes, thank you very much. I am also looking at HP iPAQ hw6920/hw6925/hw6915/hw6945 series and I am unsure which way to go. The good thing is I am in no big hurry.
    Last edited by Jim1348; 11/14/2008 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Details