Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    whats the point of the wifi if we alrdy have a data connection?
    I can say from my point. In our area, we don't have EVDO. So, when I need a faster connection and am in a WiFi area, I connect using WiFi.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by Plow13 View Post
    Have you ever compared the speed of the Sprint Data connection (even EVDO), to the speeds you can get off a good WiFi connection?

Have you considered the 5GB Sprint monthly download limitation?

It's a big benefit for people who desire to access a corporate network.

And you do realize Sprint does not have data coverage in most of America?
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Have you ever compared the speed of the Sprint Data connection (even EVDO), to the speeds you can get off a good WiFi connection?

It's a big benefit for people who desire to access a corporate network.

And you do realize Sprint does not have data coverage in most of America?
    I get pretty good EVDO speeds almost everywhere I go, but I use wifi when I am in lecture halls where there is no cell reception but there is a university wifi AP. Works great.
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
    Yea my home wifi is great. Blows any data conection away. Got to have wifi. I drive down the street and my phone will pick up every wifi on the street.
    When I use the wi-fi on my phone it sometime disconnects on its own...why?
    Fastest EVDO connection I've had is somewhere in the 800kbit/sec range. While with WiFi I'm hitting over 1200kbit/sec easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plow13 View Post
    Makes access to Office/Home Wi-Fi connection easier. I specifically use it to transfer files to/from my 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by samadam View Post
    I get pretty good EVDO speeds almost everywhere I go, but I use wifi when I am in lecture halls where there is no cell reception but there is a university wifi AP. Works great.
    This is where I used to use wifi all the time. Underground in a concrete building with no reception...wifi is a life saver! Plus, home networking/file transfers. I can't believe how well this phone picks up wifi signals, sometimes its better than my laptop that I just bought got 6 months ago!
    Fastest EVDO connection I've had is somewhere in the 800kbit/sec range. While with WiFi I'm hitting over 1200kbit/sec easy.
    Re EVDO;
    I hit 1280 kbps on my touch pro. Treo typically gets around 700-800k.

The treo is a much better device for me overall, but boy was the pro a powerhouse.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    Re EVDO;

The treo is a much better device for me overall, but boy was the pro a powerhouse.
    I guess I might even do better with WiFi if I had a Touch Pro.

For me, at this point the only thing the Treo 800w has over the HTC Touch Pro is the front keyboard. But given all the issues with the Treo 800w, I can't say the keyboard trumps every hassle that comes with having an 800w.

What's the BT audio quality like on your Touch Pro compared to the 800w's BT audio quality minus any hacks? I mean if you've tested with more than talk radio and tried them both with playing music to a BT headset of some sort. And what's the wired headphone volume like on the Touch Pro?
    I use wifi daily when I am in an office where Sprint service can not reach.
    I guess I might even do better with WiFi if I had a Touch Pro.

For me, at this point the only thing the Treo 800w has over the HTC Touch Pro is the front keyboard. But given all the issues with the Treo 800w, I can't say the keyboard trumps every hassle that comes with having an 800w.

What's the BT audio quality like on your Touch Pro compared to the 800w's BT audio quality minus any hacks? I mean if you've tested with more than talk radio and tried them both with playing music to a BT headset of some sort. And what's the wired headphone volume like on the Touch Pro?

I never did a d/l test using wifi on the pro- but I imagine it would have been fast considering the thing was just shy of 1300kbps over EVDO.

I never used the headphones, nor am I a bluetooth user.

I can note that the Treo does a better job a grabbing and holding Sprint's signal. The treo can stream in my office without a hiccup (office is a real low signal area) the touch pro would have to rebuffer a lot and would drop calls.

The main difference between the touch pro and the 6600/67/68/6900 devices for me is that the on-screen qwerty in portrait mode is very usable with one hand. Sending quick texts is easy- which means the main hardware qwerty can be reserved for longer messages only- which is nice. Once I got magic button up and running the device was fairly quick at doing the day to day stuff.

The touch pros battery was no better than the treos, maybe even worse. It was big, but the device was able to suck it dry fast. Wifi and BT off, just push email and that huge screen on. Users report much better battery life when not using tf3d FWIW.

At the end of the day the treo is still king IMO. It is just to fast and efficient for doing the things that I do.

-Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I like wifi when i'm in the house. one main reason is because the 800w uses your telephone line to connect to the internet. So when your your in the house you can talk on the phone using bluetooth and surf the net at the same time.
    I also get about 800 with EVDO and 1200 with wifi. I rarely use wifi, though, unless I'm in one of my schools with no data acess.

Question: how do you transfer files with wifi? I don't see the network in File Explorer even with wifi?
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post

Question: how do you transfer files with wifi? I don't see the network in File Explorer even with wifi?
    You get Resco File Explorer and then you can .
    a) Free or open WiFi is very common in almost all overseas cities and elsewhere.
    If you have ever traveled overseas you know that you can get a basic prepaid gsm phone and use it cheaply but that data costs a fortune.
    With a handset such as the 800W, you can browse the web, sync calender, get and send your email all quite easily with WiFI.
    b) If you attend a lot of conferences you know that alot of hotel meeting areas, especially large conference areas in below ground floors have no Sprint service but they do have WiFi. Even though charging guests for wifi is the major hotel norm in the US, conferences typically prepay a flat fee and give you the access UN and PW
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    Re EVDO;

These devices really can't handle the top speeds anyways.

I get 3G w/AT&T wherever I'm at, but having wifi is nice because it's a consistent connection that I can stream videos and such better with.
    no EVDO here for me so huge improvement on speed.

As far as my contract there is no limit on my sprint unlimited data. Maybe on those new "everything" plans they put a 5 gig limit, but for mine they don't have that stipulation in my contract. I know verizon does that and I think that's crap. Unlimited is unlimited.
    My office is in the hospital old radialogy department (lead walls). No reception except wifi.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast