1.    #1  
    I was playing around with my Treo (700wx) the other day and thinking how nice it would be to actually be able to get to full Youtube videos efficiently.

There are several problems with the usual approaches:

1) Opening the full Youtube page in PIE is slow and painful
    2) Opening the mobile Youtube page leads to lower-quality files
    3) Video links from the main Opera Mini page don't work in Opera Mini
    4) I'd like to be able to leverage the Flash Video Package to actually save Youtube videos I like.
    5) I don't want any of those third-party video apps since I find them clunky.

The best way, I figured, was to do as follows:

1) Navigate the full Youtube site in the speedy Opera Mini
    2) Pass the link to PIE so that the Flash Bundle can recognize the filetype.

I thought about emailing Opera about this, but they seem to have their hands full recently, and I didn't think they would consider adding such a feature.

I finally created a Mortscript that just does this. As a bonus, it now allows for two-way transfer of URLs between Opera Mini and PIE. It automatically recognizes which app you are in, and runs the appropriate script. If you're in PIE, it will transfer the link to Mini. If you're in Mini, it sends the link to JBed.

The bottom line is that now I can get to YouTube videos very fast, without using any third-party video apps, and can view or save videos.

Here's the script. I assigned it to a CtrlKeyPro combo, but I suppose you can do the same thing with AE Button Plus or another button mapping tool.

I'm sure there was a more efficient way to write the script, but it does exactly what I need efficiently, so I'm happy.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I was playing around with my Treo (700wx) the other day and thinking how nice it would be to actually be able to get to full Youtube videos efficiently.

There are several problems with the usual approaches:

1) Opening the full Youtube page in PIE is slow and painful
    2) Opening the mobile Youtube page leads to lower-quality files
    3) Video links from the main Opera Mini page don't work in Opera Mini
    4) I'd like to be able to leverage the Flash Video Package to actually save Youtube videos I like.
    5) I don't want any of those third-party video apps since I find them clunky.

The best way, I figured, was to do as follows:

1) Navigate the full Youtube site in the speedy Opera Mini
    2) Pass the link to PIE so that the Flash Bundle can recognize the filetype.

I thought about emailing Opera about this, but they seem to have their hands full recently, and I didn't think they would consider adding such a feature.

I finally created a Mortscript that just does this. As a bonus, it now allows for two-way transfer of URLs between Opera Mini and PIE. It automatically recognizes which app you are in, and runs the appropriate script. If you're in PIE, it will transfer the link to Mini. If you're in Mini, it sends the link to JBed.

The bottom line is that now I can get to YouTube videos very fast, without using any third-party video apps, and can view or save videos.

Here's the script. I assigned it to a CtrlKeyPro combo, but I suppose you can do the same thing with AE Button Plus or another button mapping tool.

I'm sure there was a more efficient way to write the script, but it does exactly what I need efficiently, so I'm happy.
    Nice work

So I don't really want to promote the method below since I am trying to EOL the flashvideobundle, but there is a little known fact that you can do this:

1) Go to the mobile youtube site (m.youtube.com)
    2) Browse or search videos
    3) Click on the video title, rather than the video image.

It should play in TCPMP with the higher resolution format.

This lets you use the low-overhead mobile site to browse youtube, but still get the .flv based versions rather than the lower-quality 3gp/rtsp videos. I belive that this method still works (it worked the last time I tried it). And of course you have to use PIE.
    Curiosity, do you not like Skyfire for youtube videos?
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Curiosity, do you not like Skyfire for youtube videos?
    I like to be able to download videos I really like.
  5.    #5  
    zbop, why are you trying to EOL the Flash bundle?
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    zbop, why are you trying to EOL the Flash bundle?
    Well... simply because there are so many other options available now, I feel like the hack is no longer necessary. There are a couple of features that are still unique to it, like clicking on a youtube link in email or saving videos, but for the most part I think people have moved on to other (more polished) youtube solutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Well... simply because there are so many other options available now, I feel like the hack is no longer necessary. There are a couple of features that are still unique to it, like clicking on a youtube link in email or saving videos, but for the most part I think people have moved on to other (more polished) youtube solutions.
    No way! I use this hack daily!
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    No way! I use this hack daily!
    Me too. Obviously, I was motivated to make this workaround simply because I think this is the most functional solution.
    Hah, I knew there would be diehards like skfny and Grant (and I count myself as one of those), but I really have no way of gauging how many out there are still using it. This is why I haven't decided yet.