1.    #1  
    I guess it does not matter with so many other good browsers out and coming soon, but Microsoft has now confirmed that existing WM devices will not be able to upgrade PIE to version 6.

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...-mobile-6.aspx
    Specific quote:

3. Regarding making IE Mobile available as a separate download or update, the rich media experiences that IE Mobile 6 enables require more powerful, advanced devices. That is why it will not be available as an upgrade or direct download for current phones, but rather will be made available on new phones.

It'll get ripped.
    http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/in...on_6_wont.html

and yeah, it'll be ripped...kinda already was at XDA.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    What a load of s***...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    ps

It will come to the Treo Pro, just maybe not the GSM one ;-)

Read Dieter's story more closely!

http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/in...n_6_scree.html
    I'm going to figure out how to get this on the 800w

some way

some how
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    What Grant said, though I might add the word "horse" for emphasis. I tried the XDA xvx45 cab on my 700wx just for kicks (not willing to hard-reset my 800w this afternoon) and got an installation failure just like someone else reported.

I'm anxious for progress though...I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    my question is...where exactly does it say that it wont be made available for the treo 800w and other like devices?
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gruppe3942 View Post
    my question is...where exactly does it say that it wont be made available for the treo 800w and other like devices?
    did you not read thru this thread before you posted? scroll up and read ebag's post..
    It's not that it won't be available EVER, but if Palm releases a new ROM, it'll likely be there. They just won't officially support a seperate .cab download.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    It's not that it won't be available EVER, but if Palm releases a new ROM, it'll likely be there. They just won't officially support a seperate .cab download.
    I think that's it exactly.

No way does MS feel secure enough that if they let this loose for every device there won't be blowback.

But, if OEMs want to build a ROM with it, test it, etc. no way will MS turn them down on it.

The fact the Sprint Treo Pro is running it tells you that the "current devices are not powerful enough" argument is bogus.

So I think for some devices which need a maintenance ROM upgrade, this is certainly a possibility.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    The fact the Sprint Treo Pro is running it tells you that the "current devices are not powerful enough" argument is bogus.
    Define "current devices".

Technically the 700wx is a current device, as it is still being actively sold. It'd probably run PIE6 fine though under one of the custom ROM's (probably not Verizon's crappy WM6 one though).

Now, devices released this year? I can't imagine any of them having a problem running it.