Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone but me having sound quality issues with the 800?

I just switched to the 800W from the 700P.

*The sound quality on my 800W sucks compared to my 700P. The speaker sucks and you can't even hear the headphones that came with the unit because the volume is so low. At times it's difficul to hear people on the other end with the phone.

Bad unit???????
    If its a bad one then a lot of us have them. There have been a few of these threads already. I listen to music all day and at 100% volume its a joke. When I had the Curve I would have to turn it down. Plus it has over a dozen equalizer settings on the stock media player. Earpiece quality on my unit is tolerable. Its pretty bad but I am dealing with it. Speakerphone is just a waste. I don't even use it. So you are not alone.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Sound quality on the 800w does kind'a suck. The speaker sucks. The headphone sounds like everything is digitized. Using the handset and bluetooth is okay, but with both of those, I wish the volume would go up higher. My 700wx was definitely better.
    The only fix I found so far is to sit in a quiet room for several hours before I use the phone. This way, I can detect the faint sounds of the caller on the other end. :-)

Seriously, this was a major disappointment for me when I first purchased the phone. I went from a Treo650 (which was also terrible) to the 800w. On the 650, I install VolumeCare, and the problem was resolved from then on out.

I was hoping the 800w would have a similiar software fix to correct the quietness of this phone. My biggest complaint above the headset is the ringtone volumes. If in a noisy environment, I can't hear it ring. I must feel it ring through the vibration mode. To make matters worse, for some reason, my phone will only vibrate 1 time now. When it was brand new out of the box, it would vibrate numerous times. However, as soon as I changed the ringtone, it will only vibrate once.

Anyone have a fix?
    The only volume problem I have is with BT. When a call comes in, or I make a call, I have to hit the volume up button on the 800W to get the volume back up to a high level. It always just takes one press of the volume up, but it's a pain when the phone is in my pocket. I can hear okay without doing it, but it's much better when I add the volume. I do have a Jabra JX10 with the Jabra gels that fit well in my ear so it adds a lot of volume.

My earpiece and speaker volumes are just fine. No problems hearing the ringer or hearing callers through the earpiece.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    I just recently learned that people hear an echo on the other end whenever they call me. Well, they should have told me before I got set on this phone, because it is their loss.
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by samadam View Post
    I just recently learned that people hear an echo on the other end whenever they call me. Well, they should have told me before I got set on this phone, because it is their loss.
    If you turn down the volume on your phone's earpiece the echo goes away. My wife is always telling me to turn down mine down once I told her what was happening. When the sound is too high, it goes out the earpiece and right back into the mic creating an echo.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmopilot View Post
    The only fix I found so far is to sit in a quiet room for several hours before I use the phone. This way, I can detect the faint sounds of the caller on the other end. :-)

Seriously, this was a major disappointment for me when I first purchased the phone. I went from a Treo650 (which was also terrible) to the 800w. On the 650, I install VolumeCare, and the problem was resolved from then on out.

I was hoping the 800w would have a similiar software fix to correct the quietness of this phone. My biggest complaint above the headset is the ringtone volumes. If in a noisy environment, I can't hear it ring. I must feel it ring through the vibration mode. To make matters worse, for some reason, my phone will only vibrate 1 time now. When it was brand new out of the box, it would vibrate numerous times. However, as soon as I changed the ringtone, it will only vibrate once.

Anyone have a fix?
    There is a registry edit to make the ringtone volume louder.

To make your phone vibrate more than once, use Hannip's TreoAlert.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    So far, this is the one issue that really has me on the fence about this device. There is a lot to like about the 800w, but sometimes the call quality is so bad that all I hear is wah-wah-wah-wah and I have to hang up and borrow someone elses phone. Not all the time mind you, but enough that I don't know if I can keep this phone. Maybe I just have a bum device...

I am going to get this thing swapped once my 30 day minimum for TEP has passed.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    So far, this is the one issue that really has me on the fence about this device. There is a lot to like about the 800w, but sometimes the call quality is so bad that all I hear is wah-wah-wah-wah and I have to hang up and borrow someone elses phone. Not all the time mind you, but enough that I don't know if I can keep this phone. Maybe I just have a bum device...

I am going to get this thing swapped once my 30 day minimum for TEP has passed.
    The very rare times I get bad call quality I simply call the person back, and there isn't a problem.

But Malatesta and I have magic 800w's. Gotta know someone to get one of those.
    Terrible sound quality on the 800w. They're all like that.
    I guess count me in on having one of those "magic" devices. Calls sound clear and when I listen to music or TV the audio is plenty loud. Everyone that I've talked to says that they hear me nice and clean. I can't comment on the speaker phone as I never use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Terrible sound quality on the 800w. They're all like that.
    Dude... We ALL know you don't like the 800w.

PLEASE move on.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    If you haven't seen this it solves the sound problem with Boostra and other fixes. It does require you to spend about $100 and you will have to get a bigger pocket on your pants to put all the wires and stuff.

One good thing, when the ladies first see you they will be more attracted to you. With the pocket stuffed you know?

By the way, my only problem with the 800w is the low volume and no headset jack. All the other issues were resolved within this forum.

Wolfie
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    We all have the same problem, I have posted beers on my deck with my daughter if someone can provide a fix for this. So far no takers, guess my daughter just doesn't have it?

PS, that is a Palm senior executive in the green suit standing next to my daughter. He's the guy who decided to remove the headset jack and turn the volume down.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx View Post
    Anyone but me having sound quality issues with the 800?

I just switched to the 800W from the 700P.

*The sound quality on my 800W sucks compared to my 700P. The speaker sucks and you can't even hear the headphones that came with the unit because the volume is so low. At times it's difficul to hear people on the other end with the phone.

Bad unit???????
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    We all have the same problem, I have posted beers on my deck with my daughter if someone can provide a fix for this. So far no takers, guess my daughter just doesn't have it?

PS, that is a Palm senior executive in the green suit standing next to my daughter. He's the guy who decided to remove the headset jack and turn the volume down.
    Come on people, the man is even offering time with his beautiful daughter. Somebody has got to find a fix .

For me, call quality is fine and I've got a poll that shows most find CALL QUALITY to be good, except the speaker. And I've found for calls the speaker does rattle at times, does not seem to happen with every call though.

For music listening quality, we're talking a whole different story and I think it's important to make the distinction. I probably need to make a poll for that, but for the most part, I find the Treo 800w's audio quality for music to be on the lame side. Especially after having the WM6 A2DP settings hack and then having to remove it because of some issues I was having. I mean that really exposed the sound quality difference of how awful the 800w's native BT audio quality is, I mean it's pretty bad. Now I know one reason why some are using other devices for music and/or multimedia. The Palm stereo headset volume is just too low for music and perhaps if it was louder we might find the quality to be bad, but it's too low to tell.

So perhaps, I'm listening much more closely when playing music, but not during calls. While perhaps some others are listening much more closely during calls. I'll admit, I think the call quality when using two cups and a string is pretty good .
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    horrible sound quality on my 755p's and 700p's too. There are some things, like sound quality and bluetooth, that have been issues for years but Palm's criminal negligence keeps letting new phones come out with the same problems. You would think we were buying Fords or GM cars.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I'll take the daughter.

But yes, sound quality sucks. I use a BT headset and it's better, but not what I expect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    The very rare times I get bad call quality I simply call the person back, and there isn't a problem.

But Malatesta and I have magic 800w's. Gotta know someone to get one of those.
    Magic 800w? Duuude, hook a brotha up!!

Just to be clear, my problem is intermittent and has probably happened only 4 times in about 2 weeks, so it's not that often. FWIW, I did redial the first couple times which didn't clear the problem for me, so I stopped trying that. Note, I didn't try power-cycling the radio or soft-resetting which I suppose I'll try next time.

And I'm NOT talking about spotty reception, digital drop-out, or echo, which I've encountered with every cell phone I've owned. It *literally* sounds like the call is being played through an envelope filter. My volume was not all the way up at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    Beachboy, reaallly wish I could help you...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast