View Poll Results: Has your Treo shown any cracks?

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, 'naked' Treo in US

31 14.29%
  • Yes, 'naked' Treo outside US

38 17.51%
  • Yes, Treo in case/sleeve in US

21 9.68%
  • Yes, Treo in case/sleeve outside US

13 5.99%
  • No, 'naked' Treo in US

49 22.58%
  • No, 'naked' Treo outside US

26 11.98%
  • No, Treo in case/sleeve in US

25 11.52%
  • No, Treo in case/sleeve outside US

6 2.76%
  • not sure

8 3.69%
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    I am a current Treo 750 owner and really want the Treo Pro but don't want to pay out $500 for a phone that will crack. What I would like to know is have the replacement units that people are getting also cracking? or did Palm somehow get it right. I really want Wi-fi but I will not deal with the phone cracking. I love my 750 and will stick with it if the Pro will break.
    Quote Originally Posted by Facci View Post
    I am a current Treo 750 owner and really want the Treo Pro but don't want to pay out $500 for a phone that will crack. What I would like to know is have the replacement units that people are getting also cracking? or did Palm somehow get it right. I really want Wi-fi but I will not deal with the phone cracking. I love my 750 and will stick with it if the Pro will break.
    I bought two of the Treo Pro's from NewEgg.com and both are fine, no cracks or issues. I guess there could be a batch of bad covers.
    No cracks, but just got my Pro in mid-October.
    Serial: P4GU09N8H23P
    found 2 cracks above the volume button, 2 around the button below the volume button and one next to the wifi button.
    I have had mine for less then 3 weeks.
    Indiana.
    I have contacted Palmone and without any trouble they are sending me a replacement for $26.00 which I think is a rip off but what the heck. If the phone isn't sent within a certain time they will charge my visa 400.00 for replacement which I can understand they just want to make sure they don't get left empty handed and I just want to make sure I get one without cracks.
    Last edited by dragom; 11/23/2008 at 07:58 PM.
    TP ordered from Dell on 10/16, delivered 10/17
    S/N P4GU09W8H072
    Naked, back removed 3 times (maybe)
    One crack below Wi-Fi button, noticed on 11/21. (I have used that button twice - just to check out the functionality).
    I contacted Dell to inquire about return (34 days after purchase). I am waiting to hear back from them.
    Serial: P4GU08R8H0HJ
    Bought on October 7th.
    Stored naked in suit jacket (inside) pocket most of the time.
    Have removed back numerous times.
    Two cracks - One at bottom of volume button and second larger one on the top corner near the ringer switch.
    Haven't contacted customer service yet. Don't know whether I can be bothered re-installing software and changing settings.
    Discovered the cracks only after colleague told me he found a crack on his and alerted me to this issue. He contacted CS and they told him to send photo and then call back tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBro View Post
    Serial: P4GU08R8H0HJ
    Bought on October 7th.
    Stored naked in suit jacket (inside) pocket most of the time.
    Have removed back numerous times.
    Two cracks - One at bottom of volume button and second larger one on the top corner near the ringer switch.
    Haven't contacted customer service yet. Don't know whether I can be bothered re-installing software and changing settings.
    Discovered the cracks only after colleague told me he found a crack on his and alerted me to this issue. He contacted CS and they told him to send photo and then call back tomorrow.
    If you use the pre-installed Sprite back up and make a complete back up onto your sd card (hopefully you have one--if not you should and they are relatively cheap--8 GB around $30 these days) it is easy to restore from a backup. I would suggest you swap yours out if you can as who knows how bad the cracks will get.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Further update
    5 Treo Pro's in our office
    4 cracked; and
    1 with no cracks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    If you use the pre-installed Sprite back up and make a complete back up onto your sd card (hopefully you have one--if not you should and they are relatively cheap--8 GB around $30 these days) it is easy to restore from a backup. I would suggest you swap yours out if you can as who knows how bad the cracks will get.

Does it restore third party software?
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBro View Post
    Does it restore third party software?
    Yes, if you back up everything that is on your device, it will restore it all as if nothing ever changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberguyatl View Post
    S/N P4GU09W8H072
    One crack below Wi-Fi button, noticed on 11/21. (I have used that button twice - just to check out the functionality).
    I contacted Dell to inquire about return (34 days after purchase). I am waiting to hear back from them.
    Update: Dell won't accept a return (more than 30 days since delivery) but is replacing for free. The replacement TP is supposed to ship within 3 business days, and then they will arrange for shipping of the old one back. At least for now, I am ok with this. For now.
    I'm a Palm fan, and have been for years. The Treo Pro cracking issue is getting ridiculous. I'm waiting for my replacement unit - Palm has already managed to screw up shipping, so now it looks like I'll be getting it after Thanksgiving unless they hustle.

The only way Palm may listen is a class action lawsuit regarding the defective plastic molding for the Treo Pro casings. My phone was babied and it still cracked. I've never seen anything like this - tons of other phones and PDAs over the years, but no cracks. Each time I've called Palm, no one seems to know anything about this problem. Maybe a class action lawsuit will grab their attention.
    Palm since Palm Professional --- Treo 650 (2 yrs), iPhone since 6/29/07
    Bought Treo Pro on 11/18 from Dell, arrived in my hands 11/21. Have had for less then a week and have babied it due to reading about all of the cracks. Found a crack this morning on the left side about half an inch below the camera button. How serious are these cracks? Do they effect performance, longevity, etc? Or are they cosmetic only? Granted, I paid almost $500 for the thing, add in accessories and the cost tips the scale at around the $650 mark. Don't really want to go back to the Tilt, even if I can get a refund from Dell. But I also don't want a phone or a replacement phone that is going to fall apart in 3 months. I can handle a scratch-like surface crack, as long as it does not compromise body integrity. Anyone have any idea how serious these little cracks are?

ALmost forgot:

MSN: P4GU09P8H140
    Last edited by dmmcewen; 11/26/2008 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Adding MSN
    Just got off the phone with Dell, they are sending me a new one, no muss, no fuss! If the new one cracks, I'll get it replaced too.
    I remember the build-quality issues with the early Treo 600 - rubber plugs falling out, dust under the screen, etc. Didn't have any excessive wear and tear problems with the 650. But now cracks? I wish I hadn't been so impulsive in buying the Treo Pro. I fell in love with it at first sight, with its slimness and glossiness...stupid, really. Wish I'd looked around and bought something else. Could do with a larger screen now I come to think of it. Do I really need a keyboard? That Blackberry Storm...mmm
    S/N P4GU09W8H072
    Update: Dell won't accept a return (more than 30 days since delivery) but is replacing for free. The replacement TP is supposed to ship within 3 business days, and then they will arrange for shipping of the old one back. At least for now, I am ok with this. For now.
    Another update: The replacement shipped from a location in suburban Atlanta, so I actually had it in one day. I used Sprite to completely backup the old Pro to the SD card, and dumped everything onto the new one. A few software keys needed to be re-entered (or, in the case of Opera, I had to get a new one at no charge). So far so good.

Question: On Palm's site, there is a download for a 750 device-wipe app. Has anyone tried it on the Pro? Is there a freeware app that will do the trick? I want something more than just a hard reset of the device.
    cyberguyATL
    Pilot -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> PalmT|X -> Treo 750 -> TreoPro (with a few Motos and Nokias in the mix)
    If someone wants your data bad enough they will get it, even if you try and wipe your device.
    Hello,
    My Treo Pro:
    A) 4 cracks:
    1. a big one on the left side 14mm beneath the extra-button (photo)
    2. a big one in top left corner
    3. a big one in the top right corner
    4. a small one over the right-side button /Wifi)

Unit has never been dropped. Its only 4 days in use.

I use the left-side button for connection-manager
    I dont use the right-side button

B) Bought at Amazon on 11/11
    C) I live near by Hamburg, Germany
    D) No hard case. I used a Leather-Case, never dropped
    E) Serial number P4GUG958H02X

Result: Palm Germany informed (at the Support Center Germany the crack-problem is well-knwon), they are getting the Treo today going to Palm Repair Center, Ashford, Kent UK
    => Hope its coming back soon ;-)
    Last edited by jrahe; 11/28/2008 at 06:24 AM.
    Hey everyone - here are my details:

1) One crack, on top - left side of the screen on/off button
    2) Pre-ordered in US, received on 9/27
    3) Used in Palm Side Case for Pro - sometimes I just carried in my pocket
    4) Never dropped...very much baby it
    5) Palm corporate CS is overnighting me a replacement unit - not sure if it will be a new one or refurbished - but I bet new
    6) Serial Number: P4GU09M8H1ME

Final thoughts...since I have a crack in a spot not many others, if any, have mentioned, I am wondering if it is because of the side case I use? Unlike Palm side cases in the past, it is closed at the bottom, thus I can't push the phone up from the bottom to make it easier to get out. I normally have to press down on the top left corner of the phone to begin removing it. Whether I am correct or not, I have ordered a different case similar to my old 750 case to make it easier to remove the phone and not put pressure on the top left corner. Just a guess on how that might have contributed to my crack.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    Palm has replaced all four Treo's in our office. Let's hope the problem doesn't recur.
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast