View Poll Results: Has your Treo shown any cracks?

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, 'naked' Treo in US

31 14.29%
  • Yes, 'naked' Treo outside US

38 17.51%
  • Yes, Treo in case/sleeve in US

21 9.68%
  • Yes, Treo in case/sleeve outside US

13 5.99%
  • No, 'naked' Treo in US

49 22.58%
  • No, 'naked' Treo outside US

26 11.98%
  • No, Treo in case/sleeve in US

25 11.52%
  • No, Treo in case/sleeve outside US

6 2.76%
  • not sure

8 3.69%
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Berd--can you elborate on the pattern you are seeing? It gets really hard to sift through all the data and since you are logging this why recreate the wheel right?
    I have P4GU09C8H1C3 and I'm pretty rough on my phones.
    I've even dropped it, and still have no Cracks.

Not a definite, but so far 3 people who have no Cracks had 9C8H
    Most who have 9N8H & 9M8H have cracks.
    Just what I've noticed.

For others; please continue to post your whole S/N, because I may be way off on what I'm seeing.
    Got a reshipped Treo Pro 10/22 (first one had a WINMO issue, had a preorder, but never checked for cracks when sent back)

MSN: P4GU09C8H0N1
    Origin: Taiwan
    Location of owner: Florida
    Storage: Treo Pro leather side case(the one with the velcro and removable clip)
    Crack status: Negative

Will keep an eye out.

Also note they were made by HTC, could it be a multi-phone issue?
    Last edited by Deceptitech; 11/20/2008 at 12:47 AM. Reason: location updated
    Handhelds
    Zire 31-> Zire 72s-> T|X

Phones:
    Nokia 5160-> Nokia 3100-> Nokia 3220-> Treo 650 Unlocked(modded ROM)-> Treo 680 Unlocked(modded ROM #8 within 15 minutes of receiving the box)-> Treo Pro(hacked as well)
    I have a set that is cracked as well:-

MSN: P4GUE8Y8H0C8
    Origin: Singapore
    Location of owner: Singapore
    Storage: "Naked"
    Crack status: Top right corner and a couple along right side of phone ending at the red end-call button area.

Mine has hairline cracks at top right corner and a couple on the right side of the phone all the way down to the red "end-call" button -- didn't notice them until I read a similar thread in the Treocentral forum.

Call Palm Singapore Support 67849805 after reading in this forum that Palm does set replacements for hairline cracked sets. Palm Support lady (Ms Gaby) told me to email her the photos and contact her after that.

I duly took 2 photos of the cracks -- one on top right and another at the red end-call button -- and emailed to Palm Support. Was too busy at work so didn't follow up the following day; Palm Support didn't even bother with an "Your email has been received" response email and no calls either. I eventually found time to call them a week after and got the same Ms Gaby on the line.

After verifying the reference case number, Ms Gaby informed me that they have already received my email and assessed the cracks. I should have asked her then why Palm didn't bother to reach out to me and have to wait for my call?

In any case, Palm's assessment was that the top corner crack is "not hairline crack" because the crack line is not straight but jagged so not covered under warranty.

"What about the other crack on the red endcall button?" I asked.

"That's a hairline crack" Ms Gaby acknowledged, "and to do a set replacement, we can arrange for it at a cost of S$320."

"What about the replacement policy that US customers are enjoying?" I asked.

"That is not applicable for Asia Pac." Ms Gaby responded.

"????" I hung up.

Long and short of it:-

1) Palm may be selling a "global" product in TreoPro but treats its customers differently depending on where you bought the product from ---AsiaPac customers get "screwed".

2) Palm apparently is aware of this defective build issue since Ms Gaby has a very good grasp of what constitutes a "hairline crack" -- definitely mine is not the first case Palm AsiaPac is handling.

3) Palm appears to have taken a backseat approach on it's sales in AP, hence the reduced support it is willing to provide, hiding behind its "warranty policy in AP" as excuse from its liability for selling what is essentially a defectively built product at pretty exhorbitant prices.

I am exasperated and disappointed, and don't really know what to do next as more hairline cracks may start to appear over time. Taking it back to AAA.com (retailer) would likely be futile since it is already passed the 7-day warranty.

All I can take away is that this Palm Treo Pro could very well be my last Palm device after making the switch from Palm OS Treo 650 and Treo680. With the hindrance of adapting to WinMobile out of the way, there are now many more better-built Win Mobile devices with better Support in AP out there to select from....
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wallen View Post
    6 week old, babied Treo Pro, carried in a side loader case, two cracks: Apex of the main body corner above the volume switch, and in the very thin body piece directly next to the top of the volume switch. Oh, and I haven't removed the battery cover since the first week...

Pattern emerging...

Bummer... :-(
    Can you post the S/N and date received, wallen?
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smellydj View Post
    Never dropped and kept in a silicon skin.

Two cracks by the side and volume buttons.

bummer.
    smellydj, can you post the S/N and date and place received.
    Anyone having issues in US with palm, I advise this.

I have been a Palm user a long time. Anytime I had an issue, for years, they have had that $25 replacement fee. I have NEVER paid it. Anytime they have asked me for an advance replacement fee, I have NEVER paid it. And still every time I got a replacement. Be firm, not rude, not yelling, be firm.
    If you don't get satisfaction with one agent, ask for a supervisor, if they won't give you one, HANG UP! Call back, don't fight a losing battle.

I am willing to put up a credit card as long as they don't charge it, as a deposit, that is fair. BUT I want the replacement FIRST, not send in my phone and then get another.

People, we paid a lot of money for these phones and there is no excuse for this kind of treatment. If this is just a "bad batch" great then take care of your customers. I may be wrong, but I am not on board with this "bad batch theory."
    One crack on the case above the volume button, and one below the stylus. Two month's old. SN: P4GUE8Y8H0AD

Drat.

So, we have this 'X' in the top right corner of the screen, right? But the brilliant thing is that when you tap this 'X' it doesn't, as you might expect, logically, it being an 'X' and all, actually close the program.

No?

No. It simply hides it from view.

That is brilliant. So every time you tap this, er, 'X' - shouldn't it actually be an 'H for Hide'? - no? OK. So you tap this 'X' and it hides the program. Then what?

Then what? Well, it's hidden. That's the point.

You mean it's hidden, but it's still open?

Hidden. Open. Inaccessible - call it what you like..."

Now hang on a minute... did you say inaccessible?

Yes. That's the second brilliant bit. Every time you tap the 'X' you hide the active program until you may have, say, ten..twenty...thirty...programs hidden from view and - wait for it - THERE IS NO EASY WAY OF SWITCHING BETWEEN THEM. See what I mean? Hidden! Inaccessible! Brilliant! Come on, man, we're Microsoft. It's what people expect from us.

Is it? But I thought that, er...

Oh, come on. We're the company that released a virtual PC without USB support. Can you imagine that? USB - the connection of the moment - everybody has it. It's ubiquitous...

Ubiquitous, sir? Isn't ubiquitous a metaphore for money?

You've been talking to Bill Gates again, haven't you. No, ubiquitous, in this case, means common or 'standard'. But we don't support it. Not virtually at any rate.

But really we do?

Kind of, yes. But we definitely do not support switching between open programs in Windows Mobile. I want to make that very clear. Clear! Clear! Clear! Besides, how could we implement such a ludicrous idea? Switching between programs? Bah! Impossible. We only employ several hundred coders. They have better things to be doing. Who's going to make ActiveSync the stubborn and unreliable piece of crap that it is if all our coders are put to work on creating a task-switcher? Ooh, the very idea. Task switcher, eh? Aren't we all very regal and upperty? You'll be wanting a decent file manager next...!

Calm down, Sir.

I'm sorry, but Bill Gates- in the name of the father, and of the son, and of the holy ghost - started this damned company in his garage all those years ago and he never imagined - never ever imagined in his wildest hair-do of a day - future customers so ungateful as to be demanding an easy way of switching between open...

Hidden...

...hidden programs on a mobile phone. Damn them!

Woah, Sir. Please, calm yourself. Take deep breaths. Remember Windows Vista, Sir. '44,000 days remaining' to transfer your photos from your camera to your computer'? That was a stroke of genius, Sir. I remember well the day when you came up with that. I remember the enchantingly insane smile on your face as you bunched your fist and cried at the world, "I am the master of your time! Your time belongs to me! Should anyone doubt that, I cast them the blue screen of death...

Sir, we need to talk about cracks...
    Last edited by Slem; 11/20/2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Had a few beers.
    P4GU09N8H0__

went into service late September

It's either carried in pants or shirt pocket or in a belt case.

No cracks yet.

Has not been subject to shock or temperature extremes. Temperature might be a good thing to track though. Has anyone with cracked cases ever felt their device getting really hot? Either from internal or external sources? Frequent wifi use, car charging, leaving it in direct sunlight, vehicle compartments, etc.
    SOB!!!

I just checked closer and I DO have a small crack between the WiFi button and the battery cover.

I already voted that I did not.

SN# P4GU09X8H0F3 - usa - 2 month old - ought at buy.com

*sigh*
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Apple are being sued over hairline cracks appearing in the iPhone 3G, if Palm don't do something soon they could be joining them!
    A new TC article: iPhones Cracked Too

Another related (ZDNet) article mentions:
    But the interesting part is the allegation that several hairline cracks form in the iPhone 3G’s casing at or around the camera module. Some customers have even noticed cracks immediately upon opening their new iPhones’ boxes for the first time, according to the suit.

“Although Apple was and is aware that the iPhones were and are defective, and that consumers have experienced repeated instances of cracked housing, Apple has nevertheless allowed the defectively designed iPhones to be sold to the public,” the document says.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Well, we now have 42 on the database, exactly 50% with cracks.

Whilst I'm still unconvinced of the 'bad batch' theory, some (slightly) interesting facts are emerging:

The UK no longer has a 100% blemish-free record. :-(

Everywhere (so far!) outside the USA & the UK has a 100% record of cracks. The S/Ns all begin (with the exception of one which may have been a typo and two for which I don't have S/Ns) P4GUE8. This consists of 8 Pros, including Europe, Far East & Australiasia.

The US S/Ns all begin P4GU09 (again, poss typos and missing S/Ns excepted) and are 'average' in terms of cracks, ie a little under 50%.

More S/Ns & locations from those who haven't provided them, and more details from those who haven't posted because they don't have cracks, would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I have P4GU09C8H1C3 and I'm pretty rough on my phones.
    I've even dropped it, and still have no Cracks.

Not a definite, but so far 3 people who have no Cracks had 9C8H
    Most who have 9N8H & 9M8H have cracks.
    Just what I've noticed.

For others; please continue to post your whole S/N, because I may be way off on what I'm seeing.
    Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression from your posts, all of which are interesting and often helpful, that you're a well-off person for whom a cracked or bricked phone would be no big deal. Keep up the good work. I mean it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetinspector View Post
    P4GU09N8H0__

went into service late September

It's either carried in pants or shirt pocket or in a belt case.

No cracks yet.

Has not been subject to shock or temperature extremes. Temperature might be a good thing to track though. Has anyone with cracked cases ever felt their device getting really hot? Either from internal or external sources? Frequent wifi use, car charging, leaving it in direct sunlight, vehicle compartments, etc.
    I agree you folks should be tracking what temperature extremes you know your devices have endured. Of course that does not include what the device may have endured in shipping, but it's a possible factor in the housing of these devices developing cracks.

Who knew the old style 800w's housing had an advantage...
    It's just not the same now, is it? It's like discovering that your precious girlfriend/boyfriend/creature has a scar from her/his/its shoulder to her/his/its toe. You want to keep loving her/him/it, and seeing her/him/it in the same way, and believing that it's not what's on the outside that counts - but you can't, not really. Your Treo Pro now is just a huge blemish of a thing...
    Last edited by Slem; 11/20/2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: It was sexist
    Quote Originally Posted by Slem View Post
    It's just not the same now, is it? It's like discovering that your precious girlfriend has a scar from her shoulder to her toe. You want to keep loving her, and seeing her in the same way, and believing that it's not what's on the outside that counts - but you can,t, not really. Your Treo Pro now is just a huge blemish of a thing...
    And what if her arm fell off???
    I mean if we get two strategically placed cracks is the piece in the middle going to fall off?
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    And what if her arm fell off???
    I mean if we get two strategically placed cracks is the piece in the middle going to fall off?
    I am seriously scared of my Treo crumbling in my hand as I dial a number or poke it in search of the next crack...
    ...clip... your posts, all of which are interesting and often helpful, ....clip... Keep up the good work. I mean it.
    Thanks,
    It's nice when you get positive feedback, we are all giving of our personal time, and it's nice to be appreciated.

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression from your posts, ...clip... that you're a well-off person for whom a cracked or bricked phone would be no big deal.
    I'm not sure what you mean here.
    I'm self employed which allows me to be a little more free with my time to help out here at TC.
    But I'm far from 'well-off', and man would I be ticked if my phone was cracking.

Please don't read a tone into this:
    May I ask why you would think I'm a well-off person for whom a cracked or bricked phone would be no big deal?
    Just call me Berd.
    I have an M8H. Read the article by Jennifer. Looked at my T Pro and there it is...a crack next to the Wifi button!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaluver View Post
    Ugh! Sorry to hear that Brian!

I just posted an article on the "crack" situation, linking to this thread, the other cracks threads, and Malatesta's WMExperts article.

I just got an email from Brian in which he told me the latest he heard from Palm regarding the crack on his Treo Pro:
    Fantastic article!
    Thanks for getting our concern out there.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    by the wi-fi button. My S/N is P4GU09N8H1V4. Palms wants me to pony up $400 for a replacement, even though it is only 32 days old and I paid $475 for the damn thing.
    Tom McElvy
    Va Beach VA USA

Treo 650 --> Treo 680 --> Treo 750 WM6 --> Treo 750 WM5 -> WM6 -> Treo Pro