View Poll Results: Has your Treo shown any cracks?

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, 'naked' Treo in US

31 14.29%
  • Yes, 'naked' Treo outside US

38 17.51%
  • Yes, Treo in case/sleeve in US

21 9.68%
  • Yes, Treo in case/sleeve outside US

13 5.99%
  • No, 'naked' Treo in US

49 22.58%
  • No, 'naked' Treo outside US

26 11.98%
  • No, Treo in case/sleeve in US

25 11.52%
  • No, Treo in case/sleeve outside US

6 2.76%
  • not sure

8 3.69%
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425 LastLast
    Hey no_basho,

Quote Originally Posted by no_basho View Post
    This is utterly ridiculous. How is it your responsbility to facilitate communication between Palm US and Palm Europe in order to take care of their (multiple!) mistakes? How hard did you press them when you last spoke to them? Did you get past Tier 1 support?
    All of my communications with Palm so far have been via email. Nice to have this stuff on record.

Anyway, the latest status is that my phone is back in for repair. I wrote back to Palm and told them that it is possible to buy the Unlocked phone in the UK, Germany, and many other locations around the world, and that I don't care which Unlocked software they install, as long as it is unlocked. I suggested that they install the UK Unlocked Software, which they accepted as a solution, and now the phone is on its way back to Ashford, Kent.

You have to ask yourself though - why does the Customer have to come up with this solution for them? Surely they can think outside the box for themselves, right?

I think once the saga is over, that I will write a detailed message to Palm headquarters to inform them of their poor customer service.

So, let's wait and see what version of SW I have installed when I get it back in a week or so.

Regards,
    Brushy.
    i have cracks,one on the upper left,near the power button.one near the wi-fi button.
    i bought it on 26/11/2008,in hongkong.
    device S/N:P4GUE938H02E MADE IN TAIWAN
    I'm live in shanghai.
  3. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    Hi berd , yes things are good so far with this one. In fact, either I am used to it or the space bar is not as tall as my other two.
    Here we again . After 6 weeks with my replacement unit, I noticed a horizontal crack starting from the middle of the WiFi button. I think I am going to let this one go for the time being and just watch for it to get worse or other cracks to develop.

I like this phone so much, I just wish Palm had done a better job on the quality of the casing.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    Here we again . After 6 weeks with my replacement unit, I noticed a horizontal crack starting from the middle of the WiFi button. I think I am going to let this one go for the time being and just watch for it to get worse or other cracks to develop.

I like this phone so much, I just wish Palm had done a better job on the quality of the casing.
    Wow! That plastic mold company they are using really has issues. My wife and I still have our early GSM Treo Pros with the dreaded "9N8H" serial number, and our cases are still fine. I really expected them to crack this winter, going from the cold outside to the warmth inside.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

5. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Wow! That plastic mold company they are using really has issues. My wife and I still have our early GSM Treo Pros with the dreaded "9N8H" serial number, and our cases are still fine. I really expected them to crack this winter, going from the cold outside to the warmth inside.
    Agreed, I hope Palm is done doing business with them. Mine may have been caused by the differences in temperature during a recent trip I took. It still should have never happened, I have always traveled with my phones & never had to worry about such things.
    Apparently Palm Europe's Support Center is full of comedians - this is the only thing that could explain the ongoing joke that is my support case there.

I just got my Pro back from them for the 3rd time, after requesting that they replace the incorrect software image that they had installed the last 2 times, and it has the wrong image again!

This time I have written back to them and demanded that they either make the right ROM available to me so that I can install it myself, or that they replace my phone, as the repair center obviously isn't capable of fixing their own mistakes.

Will keep you updated.

Brushy.
    Four days after my Treo Pro was overnighted it arrived. They have my records all messed up & I'm still waiting on a return call. I'm getting tired of calling & nothing is happenning. I too will keep you informed.
    I installed a Bodyguardz skin, which I really like. The reason I'm posting that here is that I believe that it will help prevent a crack in the case. The skin does not go over the keyboard area though which it looks like where some of you are getting cracks.
    Quote Originally Posted by anshim View Post
    A) 1 crack on the left side of the volume button. I hardly use the volume button (the phone is turned off 90% of the time), so who knows how this happened.

B) Bought at Dell.com on 3/08/09 and delivered 3/10/09.

C) Houston, TX.

D) The phone has been in a full-body InvisibleShield skin since day one. The InvisibleShield was applied BEFORE I even inserted my SIM card. I even reinforced the "seams" of the InvisibleShield with some extra leftover material from another device. Except for the keyboard, absolutely nothing was exposed. No hard case, but I always carried the phone in a padded pocket in my bag.

E) Serial number P4GU0AA8H0V8

Result: Dell is sending a new Palm Treo. Since I purchased the phone less than 21 days ago, the replacement is automatic. After 21 days, Dell said they ensure that Palm sends me a new device. Thank goodness I purchased the Accidental Damage warranty.

Hi - Just wanted to post an update on my Treo:

I received my replacement GSM Treo Pro from Dell.
    The new serial number is: P4GU0AR8H1GN
    Since I received the replacement TP in mid March, I have not had any cracks (knock on wood).
    I do have a bull-body Bodyguardz film and a Seido Innocase on my TP.

I have also noticed that the battery cover is much easier to remove on my replacement TP. I don't know if it's because of the Bodyguardz film or because I've gotten used to opening it, but I thought I'd put that out there...maybe there's a slight difference in the build?
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    My Treo Pro has a small crack at the power button and another small crack at the Wi-Fi button.. i guess that seems to be the common place for cracks... should I call Palm and complain? when I bought the phone used, it didnt have the cracks. I believe it was originally purchased from Dell, will I need the receipt?

11.    #431  
    It is amazing that this thread is still going after 6 months. What is Palm doing? My replacement TP that I got in mid November has developed a minor crack by the volume button while in a Seidio innocase somehow. I do know that I am not nearly as careful with my TP now in the case as when it was naked though. Could be that? Could be the molding man has issues... or a flaw... etc...
    My father was a drunk, a gambler and a womanizer. I worshipped him.-Travolta
  12. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    The crack on mine developed while in a Innocase also. I am just as careful with or w/o the case!
  13.    #433  
    This has me thinking it is a heat issue or change of temperature issue. I don't believe there is any user cause of these cracks in most instances. My 1st unit was cracked badly and getting worse by the minute (see pictures at the start of this thread) and that thing was treated unbelievable!
    My father was a drunk, a gambler and a womanizer. I worshipped him.-Travolta
    OK so I spent an hour reading 15 pages *L*

Bought from TELUS in Canada, Serial #P4GE03R9H0FA and no cracks ... serial hasn't - as of page 15 - been reported ...
    Quote Originally Posted by KJKRAMER View Post
    This has me thinking it is a heat issue or change of temperature issue. I don't believe there is any user cause of these cracks in most instances. My 1st unit was cracked badly and getting worse by the minute (see pictures at the start of this thread) and that thing was treated unbelievable!
    I agree. I don't think it's user caused. There are too many reported cases. I think the plastic is shrinking on some units causing the cracking. Maybe they were in a hurray to get the plastic frames out and put too much hardener in. My wife and I have a serial number that is bad, but ours haven't cracked yet, which amazes me. Even after going through the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by _Allan_ View Post
    OK so I spent an hour reading 15 pages *L*

Bought from TELUS in Canada, Serial #P4GE03R9H0FA and no cracks ... serial hasn't - as of page 15 - been reported ...
    You are probably one of the lucky ones, like me and my wife.

palandri - I am guessing that Canadian units are all 03R9's
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I agree. I don't think it's user caused. There are too many reported cases. I think the plastic is shrinking on some units causing the cracking. Maybe they were in a hurray to get the plastic frames out and put too much hardener in. My wife and I have a serial number that is bad, but ours haven't cracked yet, which amazes me. Even after going through the winter.

What are the "bad" serial numbers?

If I call Palm will they want a receipt before I can claim for a replacement/repair?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezilient View Post
    What are the "bad" serial numbers?

If I call Palm will they want a receipt before I can claim for a replacement/repair?

Thanks.
    I think the bad serial numbers are buried in this thread. The bad serial number had a higher rate of cracks, but not all the bad serial numbers developed cracks.

I don't know what Palm requires for a replacement. I do know that I registered my phone with Palm after I bought it, so they have a record of it.

I've got two cracks on my Sprint Treo Pro purchased a little more than 30 days ago. One is near top of volume button and the other is near top of Wi-fi button. Both arfe at the thinest points of the case between the button and the battery cover.

Just did an online chat with Sprint because and the credited my account $50 and want me to turn it into Asurian. I argued that it wouldn't be fair for the inurance company to eat an obvious defect and it wouldn't be fair for me to get a refurb. I took the credit and will continue the conversation next week when I have time to actually give them a call.