View Poll Results: Has your Treo shown any cracks?

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, 'naked' Treo in US

31 14.29%
  • Yes, 'naked' Treo outside US

38 17.51%
  • Yes, Treo in case/sleeve in US

21 9.68%
  • Yes, Treo in case/sleeve outside US

13 5.99%
  • No, 'naked' Treo in US

49 22.58%
  • No, 'naked' Treo outside US

26 11.98%
  • No, Treo in case/sleeve in US

25 11.52%
  • No, Treo in case/sleeve outside US

6 2.76%
  • not sure

8 3.69%
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brettw.10 View Post
    I can now confirm that they replaced the outer shell of my Treo Pro, but the guts are still the same.

Interestingly enough, they took the time to do a software update on the phone too, which was nice of them. What wasn't so nice is that the replaced my Unlocked Treo Pro ROM image from the US with a Telstra Australia ROM image (T850UNA-1.01-TST) with all of the crappy Telstra shortcuts and splash screens etc. This is particularly strange, given that the repair was done in Europe...

So now I am trying to contact them again about making the right image available to me, and asking how I can go about installing it myself. I really don't want to have to send the phone back to them again.

Regards,
    Brett.
    Really? Sheesh, that's maddening! I'll be curious to hear how this latest twist turns out.

I'm still bouncing back and forth between Palm Europe and the vendor (neither wants to do anything), so I will update if anything new or interesting happens. However, I'm not at all happy that now I can add the fear of having and incorrect ROM flashed on my phone to my list of worries!
    Quote Originally Posted by no_basho View Post
    Really? Sheesh, that's maddening! I'll be curious to hear how this latest twist turns out.

I'm still bouncing back and forth between Palm Europe and the vendor (neither wants to do anything), so I will update if anything new or interesting happens. However, I'm not at all happy that now I can add the fear of having and incorrect ROM flashed on my phone to my list of worries!
    Once I have the whole thing sorted out I can send you all my communications back and forth with Palm Europe in Germany so you can use it against them in Denmark.

United we stand, devided we fall...

Regards,
    Brett.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brettw.10 View Post
    Once I have the whole thing sorted out I can send you all my communications back and forth with Palm Europe in Germany so you can use it against them in Denmark.

United we stand, devided we fall...

Regards,
    Brett.
    Ha! Well said, indeed. I'd appreciate that.
    Unit Shipped Date/Time: 20 MAR 2009 12:35:17 (GMT)

i check the status of repairing on the PALM website and it says my unit has been dispatched today, i hope i can receive it tomorrow. keep updated~~~
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Good! Let us know how it works out.
    A) 1 crack on the left side of the volume button. I hardly use the volume button (the phone is turned off 90% of the time), so who knows how this happened.

B) Bought at Dell.com on 3/08/09 and delivered 3/10/09.

C) Houston, TX.

D) The phone has been in a full-body InvisibleShield skin since day one. The InvisibleShield was applied BEFORE I even inserted my SIM card. I even reinforced the "seams" of the InvisibleShield with some extra leftover material from another device. Except for the keyboard, absolutely nothing was exposed. No hard case, but I always carried the phone in a padded pocket in my bag.

E) Serial number P4GU0AA8H0V8

Result: Dell is sending a new Palm Treo. Since I purchased the phone less than 21 days ago, the replacement is automatic. After 21 days, Dell said they ensure that Palm sends me a new device. Thank goodness I purchased the Accidental Damage warranty.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Unusual S/N, Anshim. A bit worrying if the latest batch of Pros are cracking, as it would seem.
  8. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    I got my Treo Pro replaced last week, Palm corporate gave me flawless customer service.

I was told it is a refurb in like new condition, other than it coming in a plain cardboard wrap, it is hard to tell apart from a new one.

I received it on March 10, so far no cracks with the added bonus of no stress creak that my old one had developed.

The new S/N is P4GU09W8H0G3.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Hi Charlyee. Just for the record, I hadn't seen a mention of you returning your old Pro, was it returned because of cracks or something else?
  10. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Hi Charlyee. Just for the record, I hadn't seen a mention of you returning your old Pro, was it returned because of cracks or something else?
    Biggles it was something else. When I initially recieved my Pro back in October, I had noticed that the bottom right hand corner of the screen was slightly lifted and I could see the light underneath. Due to 2 extended overseas trips and other assorted problems, I never got around to doing anything about it. It got progressively worse and so I finally contacted Palm and told them the whole story and they sent me an advance replacement.

There weren't any cracks on my first unit and I was worried about this one, Palm CS in NY, made a note under my ticket number that my unit will be replaced by advance replacement withouit the customery $25.00 if cracks developed on this in the next 90 days.

Btw, you are very observant.
    Please Visit My Other Hangout
    Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm Vx > Palm Treo 750 > Palm Treo Pro > BB 9700.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    Biggles it was something else. When I initially recieved my Pro back in October, I had noticed that the bottom right hand corner of the screen was slightly lifted and I could see the light underneath. Due to 2 extended overseas trips and other assorted problems, I never got around to doing anything about it. It got progressively worse and so I finally contacted Palm and told them the whole story and they sent me an advance replacement.

There weren't any cracks on my first unit and I was worried about this one, Palm CS in NY, made a note under my ticket number that my unit will be replaced by advance replacement withouit the customery $25.00 if cracks developed on this in the next 90 days.

Btw, you are very observant.
    Glad to hear things worked out for you!

However, one of the (many!) frustrating things emerging from this thread, at least for Palm Europe customers, is that those of use outside of the US are receiving significantly poorer customer service assistance than our US-based friends.

For example, in my case, Palm Europe refuses to do anything about my brand-new cracked phone until *after* the initial 30 days are up, claiming that the vendor is responsible and needs to replace my phone (which they show no intention of doing, alas). Additionally, the Palm representative I spoke to claims that Palm Europe no longer does "Advance Replacement" (she said they eliminated that policy six months ago)--meaning that, once the initial 30 days are up, I need to ship out my brand new phone to Palm and then wait, at minimum, two weeks for them to repair it and send it back.

Given Palm's utter non-presence in the European mobile market, I would think they'd go out of their way to do a bit more for the faithful few of us fighting the good fight...
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I Ordered my Treo Pro last January 28 and in less than 2 months I found a crack in the middle of my device. i called Palm and I'm being offered to repair my device and when I declined it they said that they can do an advance exchange refurbished but it will cost me $25.00 and put a hold of $400.00 on my Credit Card. I just want to get everybody's opinion (based on your experience) about Palm's repair/replacement program for the Treo Pro. Isn't the repair/replacement supposed to be for defective product relating to internal hardware or software fault? It's clear that this particular issue is due to design and material that's used on our device. So why would anyone here accept that their Pro will be repaired not replaced with a brand new device? and what assurance do we have that these refurbised Pro's will not encounter the same issue down the line? Should I accept a refurbished product or you think I can press Palm for sending me a Brand New Device. I appreciate your input and opinions about this.
    If you can get them to give you a new device, that would be best, but I would expect significant "resistance" from Palm to that request. We don't really have any assurance that the cracks will not return, but I think only a couple people here have reported a recurrence of cracks on their refurbs. I'm most interested to see if any of the new Sprint Treo Pros have this problem.

I have no significant problems yet with my refurb, which was delivered via advanced replacement. No cracks have formed, though the adhesive border around the keyboard isn't really stuck securely to the phone. Other than that, it's fine. I probably should have called Palm back just to have them make note of that in my case record, but I'm not too worried about it at this point. If nothing else, I could probably put a tiny dot of superglue under it.
    When this thread first started, I thought it was just people dropping their phone. The thread has clearly demonstrated that whoever made the cases, either did something wrong in the molding or had a bad batch of plastic.

I've been lucky, I have two Treo Pro's and neither has developed any cracks. I think the Palm warranty says it doesn't cover cracks, but as you said, it certainly appears to be a manufacturing defect with the numbers being reported.

I think $25 for a refurbished replacement is about the best you are going to get.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

For what it's worth, Palm waived the $25 fee for me, though they did place the $400 hold on my credit card. I returned the cracked device within the 15 days allowed, and I was not charged anything for the replacement.
    ok. i'm back. just received my repaired Treo Pro. they changed the front cover for me. and on the Test and Repair Return Form, it says they did the software upgrade as well. it looks like now, which we knoe it's not...............anyway, this repairing project is over. btw, since i posted it out on 12th this month, it has been 11 days, including two weekends, so i suppose the rate they do this changing is acceptable. hope it's good news for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by umbro123pig View Post
    ...clip... it says they did the software upgrade as well.
    Software upgrade?

I'd like to hear more.

Could you compare your device specs with these, and post any differences?

Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional Edition
    CE OS 5.2.19216 (Build 19216.1.0.5)
    Processor: 400MHz Qualcomm MSM7201

Software Version: T850UNA-1.01-NAE
    Hardware Version: AN
    Firmware Version: 1.65.28.25

Storage: Total 105.55 MB, 69.79 MB in use, 35.76 MB free
    Program: Total 101.18 MB, 35.79 MB in use, 65.39 free

Thanks,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    sure. i just packed it for selling.....haha.....wait for a minute, i will post them here.

Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional Edition
    CE OS 5.2.19216 (Build 19216.1.0.5)
    Processor: 400MHz Qualcomm MSM7201

Software Version: T850UNA-1.01-EME
    Hardware Version: AE
    Firmware Version: 1.65.28.25

Storage: Total 105.55 MB, 27.23 MB in use, 78.32 MB free
    Program: Total 101.18 MB, 30.55 MB in use, 70.63 free

Cheers
    Last edited by umbro123pig; 03/23/2009 at 04:15 PM.
    Hi - Just wanted to post an update:

Received my replacement GSM TP from Dell.com today. It's a new unit, arrived overnight via FedEx. Keeping my fingers crossed that this unit fares better than my first, where it developed a crack during the first 10 days of use.

New Unit's Serial Number: P4GU0AR8H1GN

I haven't taken the new unit out of the box yet - I've decided to practice opening the battery cover on the old TP first.
    New Treo Pro...................you make me jealous......haha

happy to hear that.