View Poll Results: Has your Treo shown any cracks?

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, 'naked' Treo in US

31 14.29%
  • Yes, 'naked' Treo outside US

38 17.51%
  • Yes, Treo in case/sleeve in US

21 9.68%
  • Yes, Treo in case/sleeve outside US

13 5.99%
  • No, 'naked' Treo in US

49 22.58%
  • No, 'naked' Treo outside US

26 11.98%
  • No, Treo in case/sleeve in US

25 11.52%
  • No, Treo in case/sleeve outside US

6 2.76%
  • not sure

8 3.69%
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Chiming in here, 'new' GSM Treo Pro (i.e. not from the 1st production run, which I haven't seen cracks on) with the slightly raised keyboard.
    I didn't know there was a noticeable difference, Dieter, can you tell us what to look for?

Mine was a v early Vodafone Pro and the keyboard is surrounded by a slight lip (ie the case is fractionally higher than the keyboard).

Though I guess there may have been separate UK and US production runs?
    Chiming in here, 'new' GSM Treo Pro (i.e. not from the 1st production run, which I haven't seen cracks on) with the slightly raised keyboard. 1st crack near the wifi button, not bad. 2nd crack above the volume buttons and very bad and very noticable.

serial ends XXXXX9N8H2MP
    Are you saying the kb is a little different on newer models?
    Just call me Berd.
    While I didn't actually setup and use the replacement Treo Pro that Palm sent me, I did notice that the keys felt "taller" and seemed to have more defined, squared-off edges when compared with my original device. I didn't think much of it, though, because one of the problems with my original device is that the plastic "bezel" surrounding the keys is peeling away from the body of the phone, so it's hard to tell how tall the keys are. The "lip" that Biggles mentioned above -- where the keyboard is recessed just a tiny amount -- doesn't exist on my device anymore.

But in terms of usability, I doubt there's much difference; if the keys were, in fact, taller, it wasn't significant enough to change the typing experience, from what I saw. Key spacing was certainly unchanged.
    The reason I ask about the kb change:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...light=spacebar
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Decius View Post
    I'm sorry Biggles, I didn't see your message about the serial number until after the replacement phone was packed for return shipping.
    Shame about that. In case you hadn't guessed, my suspicious little mind was wondering whether it might be the same as one of the Pros I already have recorded as having been returned due to cracks.
    ;-)
    While I didn't actually setup and use the replacement Treo Pro that Palm sent me, I did notice that the keys felt "taller" and seemed to have more defined, squared-off edges when compared with my original device. I didn't think much of it, though, because one of the problems with my original device is that the plastic "bezel" surrounding the keys is peeling away from the body of the phone, so it's hard to tell how tall the keys are. The "lip" that Biggles mentioned above -- where the keyboard is recessed just a tiny amount -- doesn't exist on my device anymore.

But in terms of usability, I doubt there's much difference; if the keys were, in fact, taller, it wasn't significant enough to change the typing experience, from what I saw. Key spacing was certainly unchanged.
    That's exactly right -- I heard about the newer version of it as an off the record aside from a Microsoft guy at CES. I did a double take and he confirmed that they raised up the kb just a hair and squared the edges of the keys a bit more.

but no difference in usability, IMO. But it does confirm that we're looking at at least two major production runs -- the latter one seems to be the crack culprit, because our day 1 Treo Pro has nary a crack.
  7.    #287  
    That's exactly right -- I heard about the newer version of it as an off the record aside from a Microsoft guy at CES. I did a double take and he confirmed that they raised up the kb just a hair and squared the edges of the keys a bit more.

but no difference in usability, IMO. But it does confirm that we're looking at at least two major production runs -- the latter one seems to be the crack culprit, because our day 1 Treo Pro has nary a crack.
    Aren't the first ones the ones that cracked? The newer ones aren't cracking?
    Quote Originally Posted by KJKRAMER View Post
    I could definitely be wrong because I haven't followed the cracking timeline that closely
  9.    #289  

I kind of thought us early buyers were the ones who suffered from cracking units and that problem more or less disappeared mid October or so?
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KJKRAMER View Post
    I got my Treo Pro on September 12, which must have been one of the earliest units. Mine had the cracks forming after a couple of months
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Whoa, I've got one myself now!

Not a little one near a button, which seems to be common, but a long one clean across the top r/h corner, a part which receives no stress whatsoever.

No case, just eGrips, but 'babied' and never dropped.

I'll have to see what Vodafone want to do for me! Not sure whether to wait and see what happens; I'd like to think the Pre was round the corner and they'd let me do a swap but I know I'm dreaming there!
    Reported it to the local Vodafone store and said I was happy to keep using it while there was only the one crack; they assured me the warranty was the length of the contract (ie 18 months in my case) but made a note on my account to the effect that I had reported the fault in Jan 09 to cover me for if it gets worse later.
    I got my replacement Treo Pro a week ago. So far no cracks. I hope its stays that way.
    The second replacement Treo Pro arrived today. After a very careful inspection, it appears to be free of cracks! As with the last one, this one includes the battery cover and stylus. The Wi-Fi button and Ir window have a little protective film over them, which I don't think even my new device had out of the box. This one doesn't have a film over the Palm logo on the back, but the camera lens and display both do. It has the same smooth, mirror-like finish that my original device has, rather than the somewhat mottled reflection of the first replacement. The serial number contains 09M8H, which is similar to my original device.

I will note that the plastic on the right side of the keyboard isn't stuck completely to the phone, which is similar to the problem I'm having with my original device. It's nowhere near as bad as my current phone, though, so I will just keep an eye on that over the next few weeks. Aside from that, the thing appears to be in perfect shape. I'll power it up tonight to make sure the display and touchscreen are okay.

Guess we'll see what happens, but I'm satisfied with this replacement unit at this time. I was told that if I have any more issues with it during the warranty period, Palm will take care of it.
    The second replacement Treo Pro arrived today. After a very careful inspection, it appears to be free of cracks! As with the last one, this one includes the battery cover and stylus. The Wi-Fi button and Ir window have a little protective film over them, which I don't think even my new device had out of the box. This one doesn't have a film over the Palm logo on the back, but the camera lens and display both do. It has the same smooth, mirror-like finish that my original device has, rather than the somewhat mottled reflection of the first replacement. The serial number contains 09M8H, which is similar to my original device.

I will note that the plastic on the right side of the keyboard isn't stuck completely to the phone, which is similar to the problem I'm having with my original device. It's nowhere near as bad as my current phone, though, so I will just keep an eye on that over the next few weeks. Aside from that, the thing appears to be in perfect shape. I'll power it up tonight to make sure the display and touchscreen are okay.

Guess we'll see what happens, but I'm satisfied with this replacement unit at this time. I was told that if I have any more issues with it during the warranty period, Palm will take care of it.
    Glad to hear.

Now, the warranty starts over new with the replacement, correct?
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Here's an update on my 'crack' problem in the UK, which has left me without a phone for over a month now.

I have been in touch with the retailer of my unlocked unit, and they have managed to get the following information out of the repair center
    We have contacted Palm with the reference you have provided us & this is what they told us:

The delay started apparently when Palm was not provided with the correct serial No.
    Then they have replaced the casing but the device failed the test as they think that the unit was dropped or had a bad hit.
    Then they had to redirect the unit to QUARANTINE to perform a full check & service which is going to take while(( they couldn't provide us with a certain period)) as it's in a queue in the repair center.

They have no Phone Num. for the repair center as they contact each other via their internal database.

Unfortunately you have to wait till the unit gets released from the repair centre
    Palm Europe Customer Services have never given me any of this information!

I'm now asking the retailer for a refund, as I still have no estimate of when my phone will be returned.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Now, the warranty starts over new with the replacement, correct?
    No, the replacement device assumes the remainder of the original device's warranty. So since my original device was purchased in October 2008, the replacement's warranty will end in October 2009. (I'm assuming a 1-year warranty... I never actually checked.)

If the warranty started over with each replacement device, warranty replacement would be abused frequently to essentially give people devices with a never-ending warranty. (It would be nice, though!) Back when CompUSA was around, they had an extended warranty program (TAP) for PDAs that would let you bring in your "broken" PDA and get a brand new replacement from the store, no questions asked. If your device was no longer available for sale, you would get a comparable device of equal or lesser value of the original purchase price. If what you wanted was more than the value of your broken device, you basically got store credit to apply toward the purchase price of the more expensive device. All this was done with no questions asked, and you could even buy a TAP for $99 for the replacement to continue the replacement cycle. This warranty was abused so much by people whose devices "broke" that CompUSA eventually changed the terms of the warranty to require the broken device be sent for inspection and repair if possible.
    Last edited by Decius; 02/03/2009 at 03:22 PM.
    No, the replacement device assumes the remainder of the original device's warranty. So since my original device was purchased in October 2008, the replacement's warranty will end in October 2009. (I'm assuming a 1-year warranty... I never actually checked.)

If the warranty started over with each replacement device, warranty replacement would be abused frequently to essentially give people devices with a never-ending warranty. (It would be nice, though!)
    Some might abuse - yes.

scenario: Palm sends me a replacement, six months later it develops these cracks, but now I'm outta warranty.
    That doesn't seem fair.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    That doesn't seem fair.
    I would tend to agree, especially if the cracks are the result of a design flaw or production problem. But that's true of any product covered by a warranty. If you're at the end of your warranty and get a replacement, some companies will have a special extension to the warranty for the replacement to make sure it's covered against defects for some period of time. (Usually a month or two in my experience.) I'm not sure if Palm works that way or not.
    I would tend to agree, especially if the cracks are the result of a design flaw or production problem. But that's true of any product covered by a warranty. If you're at the end of your warranty and get a replacement, some companies will have a special extension to the warranty for the replacement to make sure it's covered against defects for some period of time. (Usually a month or two in my experience.) I'm not sure if Palm works that way or not.
    Yea, you're right.

I could see that happening though.
    Just call me Berd.
    It took me a few hours, but I tweaked and configured my replacement Treo Pro phone to the way the original cracked device worked without using sprite back up. Although I spent more hours doing this than I would have if I had used sprite back up, it gave me the opportunity to reload every program the right way. I even installed Ebag's version of realvga which seems to work nicely on the Treo Pro. As a result, I feel the phone is snappier than before. No cracks yet but it has only been 4 days. I will give Palm an A for their corporate relations department in resolving this matter as expediently as possible. That being said, I really like the Treo Pro and hope it will last me for at least 2 years.