View Poll Results: Has your Treo shown any cracks?

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, 'naked' Treo in US

31 14.29%
  • Yes, 'naked' Treo outside US

38 17.51%
  • Yes, Treo in case/sleeve in US

21 9.68%
  • Yes, Treo in case/sleeve outside US

13 5.99%
  • No, 'naked' Treo in US

49 22.58%
  • No, 'naked' Treo outside US

26 11.98%
  • No, Treo in case/sleeve in US

25 11.52%
  • No, Treo in case/sleeve outside US

6 2.76%
  • not sure

8 3.69%
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    i got a freakin crack in mine to now...right corner...AND I HAVE AN INVISIBLE SHIELD PUT ON FROM THE BEGINING. this sucks...what number are people calling to get ahold of Palm?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    FYI...i called palm corperate (408) 617-7000..told them the problem about the cracks. The customer service person I spoke with said they know about the problem and are sending me a replacement....it was very easy and Palm was great!!!
    May I ask what your Cracked Pro S/N is?

Also, how long have you had it, is it past the 30 days?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    i have had it since it came out back in October i think..
    Quote Originally Posted by one028 View Post
    FYI...i called palm corperate (408) 617-7000..told them the problem about the cracks. The customer service person I spoke with said they know about the problem and are sending me a replacement....it was very easy and Palm was great!!!
    Thanks to your posting of this number, I was finally able to get an advance replacement for my cracked Treo Pro. (It now has a fifth crack that I noticed yesterday.) The gentleman I spoke with was extremely helpful, very apologetic for the hassle I've experienced while dealing with the normal support channels, and was able to set me up with an advance replacement. The unit will be a refurbished device, but he told me that if I have any problems with it, they will make take care of it. He did specifically say that the refurb unit should have have problems with cracks forming.

Additionally, he made note in their system on my behalf that I was frustrated with the fact that customers are not getting the same information or treatment when contacting Palm about an identical issue. I expressed frustration that some customers were being offered one resolution to this product defect while others were being told something else entirely. Whether anyone actually reads it or not, I can't say, but at least it's in there.

The most annoying part is that once I gave in and agreed to the repair option last week, I never did receive an e-mail with return instructions for the repair order that was setup because the repair order was never processed. The gentleman I worked with today noted that the phone had been entered into their system as "out of warranty," thanks to the previous rep I spoke with, who accused me of damaging the phone. Very uncool. The guy today corrected that as well.

So while I am very pleased with the outcome of today's phone call, I am still quite disappointed with the runaround I got and the misinformation I've received from Palm support as a whole. I would still suggest that you attempt to go through the normal support channels first before falling back to the corporate account support. I was asked for my case number or service order number, so he could tell that I had made multiple attempts to get this taken care of before landing in their department.
    I was advised by palm that my replacement phone is due to arrive tomorrow. I was assured it was a new unit, not a refurb since it's serial number was unassigned to a prior owner (apparently that is how they can tell if the unit is a refurb). However, I inquired about the serial number of my replacement phone and was saddened to discover that it is another 9M8H serial number phone. The palm rep. tried to assuage me by stating that the difference in serial numbers is that my cracked phone ended in a numerical sequence whereas my replacment phone's serial number ends in an alpha numeric sequence. I was also told that if the replacement unit cracked, it would also be replaced. I will write another post if interest is expressed on the description of the replacement unit and whether it came packaged in a box, sleeve and whether it came with accesories (i.e., stylus, battery, battery cover, headphones, charger, etc.).
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnPalmer View Post
    However, I inquired about the serial number of my replacement phone and was saddened to discover that it is another 9M8H serial number phone. The palm rep. tried to assuage me by stating that the difference in serial numbers is that my cracked phone ended in a numerical sequence whereas my replacment phone's serial number ends in an alpha numeric sequence.
    I wouldn't say that was particularly significant.

Of the 9M8Hs where we have had the full S/N reported to us, 2 ended with a numeric sequence (1 cracked, 1 not) and 10 ended in an alphanumeric sequence (8 cracked, 2 not).

Sounds like S/N B/S to me ;-)
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    The date would seem to be more important than the S/N: of pre-Nov USA phones on the database, 11 out of 18 had cracks. Of Nov-onwards USA phones, only 1 out of 7 had cracks.

And I have yet to see anyone quote a S/N using 9M8H that was issued after early October, ie it seems to be a very early S/N.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Whoa, I've got one myself now!

Not a little one near a button, which seems to be common, but a long one clean across the top r/h corner, a part which receives no stress whatsoever.

No case, just eGrips, but 'babied' and never dropped.

I'll have to see what Vodafone want to do for me! Not sure whether to wait and see what happens; I'd like to think the Pre was round the corner and they'd let me do a swap but I know I'm dreaming there!
    I got the phone delivered today. It arrived in a sleeve not in a box. It looks new as far as I can see. I haven't opened the battery cover but I can tell it is lighter than my cracked Pro so that probably means the replacement came with no battery. It did come with the battery cover and stylus so that is good as I get to keep them as spares (well my old stylus broke so it replaces that). I have the difficult task of loading and customizing the phone this weekend. I will keep a close eye on the device. I am really crossing my fingers and hoping I am done with the cracking issue.
    Mines out for repairs on another issue.
    I did a Sprite Backup so when I get it back, I can just Restore it back to where it was.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnPalmer View Post
    I got the phone delivered today.
    And does the S/N really include 9M8H?
    Unfortunately it has the 9M8H series serial number.
    Well, my replacement Treo Pro arrived today in a FedEx Express envelope. The serial number contains 9N8H and there are two hairline cracks next to the Wi-Fi button! The replacement came wrapped in a bubble wrap bag which was placed inside a cardboard sleeve lined with foam padding. It came with the battery cover and a stylus. There is a protective plastic film over the display and D-pad on the front and the camera and Palm logo on the back. Aside from the tiny cracks next to the Wi-Fi button, the device looks great. If I didn't know it was a refurb, I wouldn't have been able to tell.

The plastic seems to have a slightly different finish to it; it almost looks painted. I'll see if side-by-side photos will help to illustrate what I see, but let me try to describe it. A reflection in the surface of my original Treo Pro's battery cover is clear and almost mirror-like. Reflections in the replacement have a slightly textured appearance. If the photos come out okay, I'll post them here.

The finish of the plastic really doesn't bother me at all; I just mention it because it's a visible difference in the plastic between the two devices. Whatever the difference is, the plastic still seems succeptible to cracking. I plan to call Palm in the morning to mention this.
    Last edited by Decius; 01/30/2009 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Corrected a typo.
  15.    #275  
    Quote Originally Posted by Decius View Post
    Well, my replacement Treo Pro arrived today in a FedEx Express envelope. The serial number contains 9N8H and there are two hairline cracks next to the Wi-Fi button! The replacement came wrapped in a bubble wrap bag which was placed inside a cardboard sleeve lined with foam padding. It cam with the battery cover and a stylus. There is a protective plastic film over the display and D-pad on the front and the camera and Palm logo on the back. Aside from the tiny cracks next to the Wi-Fi button, the device looks great. If I didn't know it was a refurb, I wouldn't have been able to tell.

The plastic seems to have a slightly different finish to it; it almost looks painted. I'll see if side-by-side photos will help to illustrate what I see, but let me try to describe it. A reflection in the surface of my original Treo Pro's battery cover is clear and almost mirror-like. Reflections in the replacement have a slightly textured appearance. If the photos come out okay, I'll post them here.

The finish of the plastic really doesn't bother me at all; I just mention it because it's a visible difference in the plastic between the two devices. Whatever the difference is, the plastic still seems succeptible to cracking. I plan to call Palm in the morning to mention this.
    This is UNACCEPTABLE on so many fronts. The way in which it was shipped to begin with, not getting a new one, coming with cracks, the BS you had to go through to get it, etc., etc. I would call ASAP in the AM with a serious mission and fire in my words..... Go get the SOB's. I'm mad for you!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by KJKRAMER View Post
    This is UNACCEPTABLE on so many fronts. The way in which it was shipped to begin with, not getting a new one, coming with cracks, the BS you had to go through to get it, etc., etc.
    Well, I will be calling them, but it won't accomplish anything to get all bent out of shape about it. It's irritating, but certainly not the end of the world as we know it. I also have no complaints with regard to how the phone was shipped to me. Between the bubble padded FedEx envelope, the bubble wrap around the device itself, and the cardboard and foam, the thing was pretty well protected for its two day journey. I really have no complaints there. I also don't mind getting a refurb, as long as it doesn't arrive with the same problem the original one has!

Attached to this post are two photos: The first helps to illustrate the difference in surface finish of the original Treo Pro vs. the replacement I was sent. Note that both feel the same to the touch. The second photo shows the cracks next to the Wi-Fi button on the replacement Treo Pro.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Just out of curiosity Decius and JohnPalmer, what are the full S/Ns of your new Pros?
    Chiming in here, 'new' GSM Treo Pro (i.e. not from the 1st production run, which I haven't seen cracks on) with the slightly raised keyboard. 1st crack near the wifi button, not bad. 2nd crack above the volume buttons and very bad and very noticable.

serial ends XXXXX9N8H2MP
    I just got off the phone with Palm. The rep was very apologetic about having sent me a replacement that was also cracked. I'm to send either my original or the replacement back and they are shipping another one to me which will probably show up next Tuesday. (I'm sending the replacement device back so I don't have to reload everything on my phone twice within a few days.) I'll report back next week when it shows up. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

I'm sorry Biggles, I didn't see your message about the serial number until after the replacement phone was packed for return shipping.
    The serial # on my replacement phone is XXXX9M8H0KH. I have a bad feeling this is a first production phone and that it will also crack. I hope I am wrong. I haven't even used it yet.

Decius, my cracked phone has the exact same crack near the wifi button. It is barely noticeable but in 3 days, the phone went from 3 to 9 cracks. One was very noticeable (above volume button). I am curious about the serial numbers of the other replacement phones. Anyone care to divulge theirs?
    Last edited by JohnPalmer; 01/30/2009 at 10:31 AM.