View Poll Results: Has your Treo shown any cracks?

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, 'naked' Treo in US

31 14.29%
  • Yes, 'naked' Treo outside US

38 17.51%
  • Yes, Treo in case/sleeve in US

21 9.68%
  • Yes, Treo in case/sleeve outside US

13 5.99%
  • No, 'naked' Treo in US

49 22.58%
  • No, 'naked' Treo outside US

26 11.98%
  • No, Treo in case/sleeve in US

25 11.52%
  • No, Treo in case/sleeve outside US

6 2.76%
  • not sure

8 3.69%
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    thank you Stig for the email.
    I will follow your way.
    (fingers crossed)
  2. Hyb
    Just had my device replaced by Vodafone UK. It was a super-early model from the beginning of September. Had developed several hairline cracks from the camera button to volume slider and a larger crack on the top left corner. I don't have a record of the serial I'm afraid.

On-phone CS wouldn't replace it because they considered it damage under wear & tear. They advised me to take it into a store so they could examine it and determine whether it had been dropped.

In-store CS were reasonably helpful. Booked it to be sent away for repair. They were a bit coy about the differences between repair and replace. Returned a couple of days later with a replacement unit.

Good luck to the rest of you.
    I received my Treo Pro on November 7, 2008. Serial number series 9M8H. Babied the device like if it were an egg. The device was either in Palm craddle or Palm side case at all times. The device was never dropped. Today, lo an behold I observed a noticeable crack above the volume button and two hairline cracks along the volume button. Needless to say I am disappointed and upset, however, reading about the problem here first and having others shared their experience with the cracks firsthand somehow softened my "anger" toward this problem. After all, I have invested over $800 in this device plus accessories and had intended on keeping it for at least 2 years. If the device can't last 90 days without cracking, I wonder how many more cracks will develop by 6months or a year. I contacted Palm and they have agreed to replace the "case housing" free of charge. However, I have to "shoulder" the shipping cost and the inconvenience of not having a replacement phone during their 5-7 business day repair timeline. I am a very busy person and I am afraid I lack the time to keep calling Palm for a replacement phone (rep claimed they are out of stock [guess the remaining stock is now in boxes at Sprint stores near you even though mine was an unlocked GSM not a CDMA version]). Here is my question. Has anyone had their Pro repaired by Palm to their satisfaction? Any cracks afterwards? I get the impression that Palm has not done anything to address the manufacturing defect other than utilize a replace strategy. My question is, has Palm done anything at the manufacturing stage to correct the cracking problem? If I were a Sprint customer, I would hold off on purchasing a Treo Pro until Palm addresses this problem. Palm sandbagged 800w buyers big time and with the impending release of the Pre, it would appear they are about to sandbag Treo Pro users. This does not bode well with the Palm Pre, regardless of all the positive hoopla and hype it has received.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnPalmer View Post
    I received my Treo Pro on November 7, 2008. Serial number series 9M8H. Babied the device like if it were an egg. The device was either in Palm craddle or Palm side case at all times. The device was never dropped. Today, lo an behold I observed a noticeable crack above the volume button and two hairline cracks along the volume button. Needless to say I am disappointed and upset, however, reading about the problem here first and having others shared their experience with the cracks firsthand somehow softened my "anger" toward this problem. After all, I have invested over $800 in this device plus accessories and had intended on keeping it for at least 2 years. If the device can't last 90 days without cracking, I wonder how many more cracks will develop by 6months or a year. I contacted Palm and they have agreed to replace the "case housing" free of charge. However, I have to "shoulder" the shipping cost and the inconvenience of not having a replacement phone during their 5-7 business day repair timeline. I am a very busy person and I am afraid I lack the time to keep calling Palm for a replacement phone (rep claimed they are out of stock [guess the remaining stock is now in boxes at Sprint stores near you even though mine was an unlocked GSM not a CDMA version]). Here is my question. Has anyone had their Pro repaired by Palm to their satisfaction? Any cracks afterwards? I get the impression that Palm has not done anything to address the manufacturing defect other than utilize a replace strategy. My question is, has Palm done anything at the manufacturing stage to correct the cracking problem? If I were a Sprint customer, I would hold off on purchasing a Treo Pro until Palm addresses this problem. Palm sandbagged 800w buyers big time and with the impending release of the Pre, it would appear they are about to sandbag Treo Pro users. This does not bode well with the Palm Pre, regardless of all the positive hoopla and hype it has received.
    Reading thru this thread seems to indicate that 9M8H and 9N8H were the early releases and were apt to crack.

This thread inactivity seems to indicate the issue is a thing gone past.
    Just call me Berd.
    Most have concluded it was a bad batch.

From another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post
    As someone who has designed injection molded parts, I can comfortably say that the size had little to do with the defect. This was either a molding defect (resin too dry when molding, wrong mold temp, wrong barrel heats, wrong injection speed, wrong pack pressure, bad lot of resin, improper venting, etc.) or a design defect (wall too thin, insufficent structural support, too sharp radius, wrong resin type selected for the application, etc.)

There is nothing magical about the size of the case. Many devices have similar cases and they don't crack.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Mine is a 9M8H and no cracks. I've had it since October.
    I decided to call Palm again as the repair option was not feasible for me. I left Verizon to get a GSM Treo Pro so I had no back up GSM phones and I wasn't about to spend more money for a temp phone as I have already spent over $800 on the Pro and accessories. I spoke to a different rep at Palm who offered the replacement option. They even waived the $25 replacement fee. I did have to provide my credit card info for the $400 surety hold for the defective device. However, I was told that the replacement phone was being shipped bare bones, meaning just the device, no stylus, battery or back cover. Then I was told that I had to ship the defective device without the accesories or bare bones. I was suspicious about the bare bones replacement unit so I asked if the replacement unit was refurbished. I was told no that the replacement unit was hand tested. Can anyone confirm how Palm sends the replacment unit? I thought it was a brand new unit in an wrapped box.
    I just got mine today. I was told the exact same thing but the unit I received had a battery, back and stylus. The unit it self looked brand new but came in a sleeve not a box. The back door had some scuff marks so I am wondering if it is a refurb. I used my original back cover and it looks and feels new. So far everything is great. Now I need to find out if they want the barebones back or all the stuff.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

... I spoke to a different rep at Palm who offered the replacement option. They even waived the $25 replacement fee. ...
    Aaaaaargh!! This is the thing that makes me so angry about this situation. I said in an earlier post that it's absurd that different people get different answers when calling about the exact same defect.

I have spoken with four reps so far, all of whom said replacement was not an option. The one I spoke with yesterday even told me that the hairline cracks were not an issue that Palm was aware of. I mentioned that there were many people online who had called Palm about this exact problem, and many of them had been offered a replacement Treo Pro with very little hassle. I asked him to explain why those customers were being offered a replacement while he was telling me that it was not possible. He said, basically, that I shouldn't believe what I read online, and that I should get my information from Palm. (You know, the company that has never heard of this problem...) He said that inventory was very limited and that they had to "be very careful" when replacing phones. At this point, I would expect anything I get to be a refurb, not a new device.

After I finally relented and chose the repair option, he started to process the repair order and then implied that the physical damage to the phone was caused by me and had thus voided the warranty. The repair would therefore cost me the out-of-warranty repair fee. I insisted that I have done nothing to damage the phone, and that based on my care of it and information from many other users online, I feel the cracks are the result of a defect. He asked, "when you opened the phone for the first time, were there any cracks?" I said of course not, but I also haven't done anything to cause the cracks to form.

While arguing (politely) about this, he noted that my phone was ordered in October 2008, which I confirmed. He suddenly asked to put me on hold. When he came back, he said they had just gotten new information from the engineers, and "guess what... I'm going to process the repair for free." As if he was doing me a favor. At this point, I just want it taken care of and I don't have time during the day to keep fighting with Palm.

The Treo Pro is a great device. Palm's support has left a very bad impression on me. Further annoying me is that fact that now, over 16 hours after my call to Palm, the e-mail with return instructions has not shown up, nor is it stuck in a spam filter. So I'm probably going to have to call back again, and this time I'm going to try asking for a supervisor again.
    Yea, it's sure discouraging to hear these sad stories.

I don't get it either.

Obviously the last guy had a pride issue.

Let us know how it goes.
    Just call me Berd.
    I am sorry to hear how some Palm customers are getting the runaround with the repair vs. replacement option of their cracked Treo Pro. I have been reading these threads since getting my Treo Pro and really went out of my way to take care of the device. I purchased a casemate skin for it, left it on the craddle or in the Palm side case when not in use. I never dropped the device or banged it against another object. I am in New Jersey and when I get into my car, it is very cold, especially with the latest freezing temperatures. I suspect that the already defective casing is susceptible to the cracking during extreme temperature changes. This is the only way I can reconcile my Pro cracking because as I said, this thing was babied more than my first born. Having said that, I have had other Palm phones for years and they never cracked. My old Treo 700w was dropped on the concrete pavement at least a dozen times and except for scuff and scratches to the casing, there were no cracks. I consider the cracking problem to be more than a cosmetic issue. A scratch is a cosmetic issue. A crack on the other hand can lead to the complete compromise of the phone's structural integrity. I would compare the cracks on the phone to what a breach on a ship's hull would cause in terms of damage. In my case I had the phone for 74 days and yesterday I observed one crack and two other hairline cracks on the same side of the phone. This is disturbing.

I will offer the following advice. When speaking to someone at Palm, be calm. Explain very politely that you have expended a handsome sum of money for this unlocked device. Explain that you have stood by the Palm brand and product despite some of its past shortcomings and rumored demise. It is just plain wrong for Palm to abandon their loyal customers at this time. I really think the cracking issue has been isolated to the early batches that were produced (Sept. thru November) and the issue has been addressed (I am assuming this because the activity on this thread diminished dramatically after November). Thus, Palm can afford to back up the Pro for those early released phones.

I spent countless hours customizing my phone and tweaking it to my satisfaction. I am upset that I will have to reinstall everything (I know I can backup but I will lose storage space by doing this) and spend time doing this but if Palm replaces my phone with a non-cracking phone, I will be content with their resolution. I have a feeling I will get a refurbished phone, possibly an early phone that has had its housing case replaced. Will I be upset? Perhaps, but the bottom line here is that as customers we should be treated fairly. I could have purchased a cheaper Omnia or Epix, which don't have a cracking issue.

Overall, I have lamented ever letting the Treo Pro in my life on a couple of occasions (Bluetooth issue was a deal breaker and I almost returned device before Palm released patch). The Treo Pro is still a very good phone in my opinion. It may not possess the pizzaz of the Iphone or Touch Diamond/Pro or other slick looking devices that are coming out, but for a business user, the phone does the trick for me. Will the Treo Pro be my last Palm device? If they send me a new replacement unit that doesn't crack, no. If I get a refurbished unit that will crack in the next year, then it may very well be my last Palm device.

I have heard the frustrations of many Treo Pro users who have discovered cracks on their devices on this thread. We are practically a fraternal order. I feel your pain and frustration. Lastly, stand your ground with Palm. It is only right that they replace your defective phone within a reasonable time (3 to 5 business days tops). If your phone isn't cracked, may it remain crack free. If it does crack a week or a few months from now, know that your surprise and anger has been shared.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I had originally voted for no cracks but now ones appeared in the top right corner

This is a Vodafone UK supplied phone bought in Dec '08.

S/N P4NU08U8H019
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    I had one of the very first Pro's in the UK, before they were available in the US, so it must have been a very early model.
    But yours doesn't look like a Vodafone UK S/N, Stig; would I be right in thinking it was sourced from the Far East?
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    But yours doesn't look like a Vodafone UK S/N, Stig; would I be right in thinking it was sourced from the Far East?
    No, mine was bought from a UK retailer, not through Vodafone. It had a proper UK power adaptor etc.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    No, mine was bought from a UK retailer, not through Vodafone. It had a proper UK power adaptor etc.
    Hmm, almost definitely a Far East S/N. But then, I imagine they were all made there, wherever they were sold!
    A day after discovering a crack and two hairline cracks on the casing of the Treo Pro, I discovered another (hardly visible) crack by the wifi button. This phone is falling apart in less than 90 days. I am awaiting my replacement unit. Palm corporate headquarters claims the replacement phone will be new however the support hotline claims the replacement unit will be refurbished. Corporate headquarters assured me that if the phone is refurbished, they will send me a new one. James' post, especially with the scuffmark observation, makes me skeptical about getting a new unit. I will keep the board posted.
    I have been reading these threads since getting my Treo Pro and really went out of my way to take care of the device. I purchased a casemate skin for it, left it on the craddle or in the Palm side case when not in use.
    Anyone know where to find a Case-mate for the Treo Pro? Their Treo page only mentions 680, 700, 750 and 755.

Whoops, never mind. That was the "Cases" page. Here it is. It's actually "Clear Armor" and I could only find it via a Google search (no link from the Clear Armor page).

Actually, what I've fallen in love with is the Case Mate Smart Skin, ). Looks like a great product. Does anything similar exist for the Treo Pro?
    Last edited by forteanajones; 01/21/2009 at 10:34 PM.
    I recently bought a Treo Pro here in the Philippines and within a week a crack appeared beside the wifi button. S/N: P4GUE938H08C. I complained with the local distributor and I was promised a replacement. I hope the replacement will be better.
    Since discovering 3 cracks on my Treo Pro a couple of days ago, I wanted to comment on a few things. First, to Palm's credit, they have assured me that they will do what it takes to make me happy. I am expecting a replacement phone on Monday. IN the meantime, the number of cracks on my Treo Pro has increased to 8. I have not droppped the phone or treated it with reckless abandon. The way these cracks are developing is similar to how a window breaks from one crack. One crack eventually leads to two, three and before you know it the window is completely broken. This was my major gripe. If you buy such an expensive phone and in under 90 days it has 8 cracks, will the phone's casing be intact after 6 months? Btw, my stylus's plastic top part came apart from the metal part.
    THe ironic thing is I hardly use the stylus. Palm has assured me they will take care of everything. Aside from the folks that have already posted, has the cracking problem been resolved? Any cracked replacement or repaired phones?
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    First, to Palm's credit, they have assured me that they will do what it takes to make me happy.
    I only wish Palm Europe were as eager to please. After having waited 3 weeks for a replacement phone, I have sent in a formal complaint.