Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    FYI:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...playlang=en&tm

This behavior is associated with a feature that is introduced in Windows Mobile 6.1. The feature allows for mobile operators to specify an alternate SMTP server name that is used if e-mail messages cannot be sent by using the user-specified SMTP server name. If the mobile operator does not specify an alternate SMTP server name and if the Windows Mobile 6.1-based device does not connect, the e-mail account is corrupted and cannot send e-mail messages.
    Good catch!

Thanks for posting.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Very Nice, Thanks for the POP and IMAP update.
    When I installed this patch, I didn't get any verification that it installed; it just went to a soft reset. Is this the behavior others have gotten when installing?
    From the article on the front page of WMExperts, that is normal behavior...and what I experienced as well.
    Did anyone else notice the "Unknown Publisher" message came up when they executed the CAB file?

Before I responded to the "Unknown Publisher" dialog (I just left it sitting there because it was so funny to see it for a MS update), my device went into soft reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    From the article on the front page of WMExperts, that is normal behavior...and what I experienced as well.
    Thanks! Guess I should start expanding my horizons from just the forum, lol.
    I installed the cab file both ways, by syncing and by direct download, but still can't send e-mails with my pop account. The device rebooted on its own as others have reported, so the file should have installed properly. Anyone?
    Update.... I was able to set up my outgoing e-mail thru sprints smtp server for now, but they are shutting it down December 31.
    At least I have a short term temp fix.
    Great! It totally fixed my problems (inability) sending using gmail smtp!

Awesome find!
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
    Nice to see microsoft finally got off their butts and created a fix for this. Funny that WMExperts call this a "serious" bug while others here tried so hard to convince us this was no problem at all.

Now I hope I live long enough to see:
    1) A patch to fix the blutooth volume resetting issue
    2) a 3.5mm audio adapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon View Post
    Nice to see microsoft finally got off their butts and created a fix for this. Funny that WMExperts call this a "serious" bug while others here tried so hard to convince us this was no problem at all.
    More like, others informed you it was not unique to the 800w and there was already a work around even before MS released the patch.

The issue occurred for people who sadly:
    If the mobile operator does not specify an alternate SMTP server name and if the Windows Mobile 6.1-based device does not connect, the e-mail account is corrupted and cannot send e-mail messages.
    This totally explains why I've always been able to send SMTP mail. I always used a good SMTP server address. But you doubted and mocked my claim. Hey, I'm sorry you entered a bad SMTP and things got corrupted, but get over it.
    You clown. I did not enter a bad smtp address. I mean really. Are you an industry shill or something?

Yeah - you said there was a fix out by someone who got finally fed up with waiting - only after months of everyone saying it was no big deal and there was no such problem.
    You clown. I did not enter a bad smtp address. I mean really. Are you an industry shill or something?

Yeah - you said there was a fix out by someone who got finally fed up with waiting - only after months of everyone saying it was no big deal and there was no such problem.

Did you enter an SMTP that did not allow you to connect, yes or no?

Or are you saying MS lied when they said:
    If the mobile operator does not specify an alternate SMTP server name and if the Windows Mobile 6.1-based device does not connect, the e-mail account is corrupted and cannot send e-mail messages.
    Please explain it to me, given I'm the clown.

I didn't tell you that there was no problem, but that there were options and alternatives for you to make use of. And as usual you responded with your peachy sentiment.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    This totally explains why I've always been able to send SMTP mail. I always used a good SMTP server address. But you doubted and mocked my claim. Hey, I'm sorry you entered a bad SMTP and things got corrupted, but get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post

Did you enter an SMTP that did not allow you to connect, yes or no?

Or are you saying MS lied when they said:

Please explain it to me, given I'm the clown.

I didn't tell you that there was no problem, but that there were options and alternatives for you to make use of. And as usual you responded with your peachy sentiment.

Actually, Darnell, it's not socomon's fault.

While he certainly could have replied in a better fashion, he is correct.

The actual MS hotfix text provides a better explanation of what happens:

It provides a way for users to send e-mail through an alternate outbound e-mail server provided by their mobile operator in the event that the default outbound e-mail server becomes inaccessible.

The problem occurs if a mobile operator doesn't use this feature, and therefore doesn't supply a value for the alternate SMTP address. When the mobile device fails on any attempt to connect to the e-mail provider's default SMTP server, Windows Mobile 6.1 automatically loads the value for the alternate SMTP server—which in this case is blank. The e-mail account configuration details are then corrupted, which results in loss of the ability to send e-mail with that particular e-mail account.
    (Emphasis mine)

I just walked through setting up my Gmail account (as I had recently hard reset for playing with some new shiny toys ).

There was no point in time in which I could have specified an alternate SMTP address. This is because I am not the "mobile operator", I'm the "user" (look at the first sentence I quoted).

If your e-mail provider--we'll use Google as an example--only supplies the information for a primary SMTP address (mail.google.com) and no secondary, then if their primary SMTP server goes down this bug will rear it's ugly head.

If Google provides a primary and secondary (mail.google.com and mail2.google.com), then this is never an issue.

Regardless there is no way to set this up on our end, at least not easily. It's possible that you could do it through the registry.

So....long story short:

The bug did exist, it was very rare and only occurred in extremely specific circumstances, and there was nothing that a user could do to (easily) work around this (aside from the linked registry hack). Totally not socomon's fault, the blame for this one firmly rests upon Microsoft's shoulders.
    Well anybody that claims I wear a cheerleader uniform is regardless.

Any disbelief anyone showed to Socomon is no greater than their response to me when I mentioned my mail was working.

But thanks for the clean up Ebag333.

I'll leave it to Socomon to make the last trite response.
    Posting the CAB so i can dl from my phone.

I installed the CAB about 2 weeks ago and my gmail was working fine (sending and receiving). Fast forward two weeks later, and I'm receiving nothing. THe phone is giving me an error. Re-installing right now. HOpefully it was re-fix the issue.?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    This seems to have fixed the problem. Hopefully it won't be a re-curring theme.
    i still don't understand what this whole upgrade is for. how will this upgrade benifit me. does this mean i can send/recieve email without having to log into the internet?
    Quote Originally Posted by datmescandude View Post
    i still don't understand what this whole upgrade is for. how will this upgrade benifit me. does this mean i can send/recieve email without having to log into the internet?
    No. It fixes a bug where if your provider doesn't have a secondary e-mail server it could jack up your e-mail, preventing you from sending e-mail properly.