1.    #1  
    Hey, is it just me or does the screensaver not work when in flight mode?

Not that this is a big deal or anything, but seriously why is the screensaver dependent on the phone radio being on?
    Interestingly however it does work if there's no SIM card in the phone (on the pro that is)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I don't use the screen saver. Unfortunately it really seems to hurt battery life.
    The one good thing I can see about that is that if you forgot you left your phone radio off at least you would notice and turn it back on.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Not that this is a big deal or anything, but seriously why is the screensaver dependent on the phone radio being on?
    I think the rationale is this:

You're turning on Flight Mode to save battery --> Screen Saver eats up battery --> Turn it off by default

Plus, the other function is for notifications (missed call, missed SMS) and since either of those cannot occur in Flight Mode, it negates part of the screen saver's purpose.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I don't use the screen saver. Unfortunately it really seems to hurt battery life.
    Good advice, over time, I'll change my settings to whatever works best.

I'm still in "explore and play" mode though. Seriously, I don't consider this a problem. It's less of a complaint, and more of a wtf...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I think the rationale is this:

You're turning on Flight Mode to save battery --> Screen Saver eats up battery --> Turn it off by default

Plus, the other function is for notifications (missed call, missed SMS) and since either of those cannot occur in Flight Mode, it negates part of the screen saver's purpose.
    Hmm, okay I guess I can kinda see this (if I have 5 or 6 beers and squint real hard ) j/k

Flight mode has a specific meaning and so does the power-off button, so this is counter-intuitive, to me at least. The screen saver can still reflect the correct state of those notifications even if you can't access them.

I'm wondering if it's possible that leaving the screensaver on does not meet some strict definition of OFF for electronic devices when it comes to using it on an airplane (during takeoff and landing) and maybe that was the rationale.

Or just suppose, think-about-it-now, it's possible that the 800w needs to time synchronize at a high resolution with the cell towers to maintain the time display on the screensaver, or that Sprint is worried about people stealing the 800w and reselling them on Ebay as non-activated liquid crystal display pocketwatches. Anyone's guess at this point
    Bottom line - screen saver uses the carrier network to get the time, so if the phone is off = no screen saver. Simple.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    Bottom line - screen saver uses the carrier network to get the time, so if the phone is off = no screen saver. Simple.
    Just curious, you say "bottom line" as if you know this for a fact, did you test this assertion?

You could be right, but there is no reason for it. There is a high resolution clock that is maintained to trigger event notifications, even in powersave mode.
    ..and on the pro the screensaver works without a sim card
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    ..and on the pro the screensaver works without a sim card
    Yeah that's a bit odd, maybe later if I have some time I'll do the aluminum-box test and find out.
  12.    #12  
    Postscript: I just tried the aluminum box test (just for shizzits and giggles) and the screensaver isn't dependent on network time.

FWIW...