Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hah, I've been away so long my old login didn't work, until one of the mods straightened it out... (thanks Ronbo2000)

So I *FINALLY* got an 800w to replace my trusty 700wx. I've been delaying my upgrade to the 800w until I could get some hands-on time with the Diamond and Touch Pro. Overall I like the 800w, but the device definitely has some quirks to it. Haven't made up my mind if I'm keeping it yet. Anyways, since I now have one, I'll spend some time hacking away.

I've gotten a ROM dump and will be working on a few things. So far, I've cracked the secret of the keyboard backlight (or so I think), and I'll be taking a look into the LED code and other stuff. If all goes well, I'll roll out some CABS soon.
    What do you mean ROM dump? Treo's are not like other devices when it comes to custom ROM's. Since the Treo Pro is made by HTC WMExperts did report and show pictures of the bootloader screen. That is pretty cool.

This device is pretty finicky. I can attest that my 700wx was much more stable than my current 800. You will run into weird things you've never even seen before. Currently I have my backlight set for 2 minutes but the screen turns off after 15 seconds. It is so annoying and nothing fixes it (hard nor soft reset has worked).

Hang out here for help. I would have thrown this device off a building but some of the people on here have helped me. Others on here will defend the device and claim 3rd party apps are the reason for bugs. Try to ignore them. Good luck.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    zbop-

Great to see you back! Hopefully you'll like the 800w--I know I do--and the tweaks and hacks will start flowing!!
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Hah, I've been away so long my old login didn't work, until one of the mods straightened it out... (thanks Ronbo2000)
    Holy crap, Zbop's back?!

It's only been nearly a year since your last post (01/31/2008, 01:29 PM)!

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    This device is pretty finicky. I can attest that my 700wx was much more stable than my current 800. You will run into weird things you've never even seen before. Currently I have my backlight set for 2 minutes but the screen turns off after 15 seconds. It is so annoying and nothing fixes it (hard nor soft reset has worked).

Hang out here for help. I would have thrown this device off a building but some of the people on here have helped me. Others on here will defend the device and claim 3rd party apps are the reason for bugs. Try to ignore them. Good luck.
    Take Vibrant's comments with a grain of salt. He has some issues that are extremely specific to him that he has not been able to solve yet.

From the perspective of someone who spend nearly every day for months on end trying to break the 700wx, I find the 800w to be as stable or more so than the 700wx.

It certainly has greater compatibility with different applications thanks to the 320x320 screen (and especially at 96 DPI ).

Anyway, I'd be curious to see what you're working on, and what you have dumped so far. I assume you just have the file system dump, and nothing else (like maybe the XIP)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Holy crap, Zbop's back?!

Take Vibrant's comments with a grain of salt. He has some issues that are extremely specific to him that he has not been able to solve yet.

From the perspective of someone who spend nearly every day for months on end trying to break the 700wx, I find the 800w to be as stable or more so than the 700wx.

It certainly has greater compatibility with different applications thanks to the 320x320 screen (and especially at 96 DPI ).
    You and Mal's device seem to be stellar. For the rest of us and the OP do have a few quirks. I picked up another issue yesterday (backlight) and it is not specific to me (there are threads about it). Again I am just being honest to the OP so when things seem to pop up just give it time and have patience, lots of patience.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    update billboard plugin z! (welcome back)
    VRGT, I think it might be good to sit back and allow Zbop time to do their thing.

We're talking about the one who has done things on the Treo 700w/wx like: Full Youtube and Google Video access! And way, way more.

Zbop is already at the expert level when it comes to smart phones. Give Zbop time, because it's more likely that Zbop will be the one helping us, instead of us helping Zbop.
    Good, I could use some. We need people like him.

9.    #9  
    What do you mean ROM dump? Treo's are not like other devices when it comes to custom ROM's. Since the Treo Pro is made by HTC WMExperts did report and show pictures of the bootloader screen. That is pretty cool.

By ROM dump, I just mean that I used some tools to pull out the OS image so that I could start disassembling the dlls on the device. I'm not planning on doing anything with custom ROMS.

Yep, I don't believe that the device is perfect, or that it's all that bad either, just somewhere in between, like all phones. Whether each person can live with it or not is a personal decision
  10.    #10  
    Holy crap, Zbop's back?!

Anyway, I'd be curious to see what you're working on, and what you have dumped so far. I assume you just have the file system dump, and nothing else (like maybe the XIP)?
    Yeah, just the OS image, I took a shot at the XIP but no luck so far. Right now I am only looking at the backlight driver and LED driver. Might take a crack at fixing hidelogo.

BTW, thanks for all the WM6 work you did... glad to see you and hannip are still at it. I had to take a break and uhh, try to stay out of trouble for awhile
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    update billboard plugin z! (welcome back)
    Thanks Scotty, yeah I know it's due for some updates. My PC crashed a while back so I'll need to dig up my backups for the source code. I actually thought the code was resolution independent, but I must have missed some places where I didn't use the DRA scaling macros. Will update when I get a chance.
    You and Mal's device seem to be stellar. For the rest of us and the OP do have a few quirks.
    I have had virtually no issues and have nearly 50 apps installed plus numerous registry hacks. My 800w has been considerably more stable and simply better than the 700Wx I had.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    I have had virtually no issues and have nearly 50 apps installed plus numerous registry hacks. My 800w has been considerably more stable and simply better than the 700Wx I had.
    Congrats! Wanna trade?

Yeah, just the OS image, I took a shot at the XIP but no luck so far.
    I know that feeling. I've spent hours working on the bloody thing with no luck.

BTW, thanks for all the WM6 work you did... glad to see you and hannip are still at it. I had to take a break and uhh, try to stay out of trouble for awhile
    Well around here you're more likely to get into trouble than out of it.
    Congrats! Wanna trade?
    I feel comfortable with nearly any 800w with my configuration.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  16.    #16  
    Well around here you're more likely to get into trouble than out of it.
    LOL, ain't that the truth!
    Welcome back zbop, nice to have you around again

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    sweet welcome back subscribing for updates
    You and Mal's device seem to be stellar. For the rest of us and the OP do have a few quirks.
    Well, it's not really accurate to say that "the rest of us" have quirks. Mine's rock solid as well. That is not to say that you haven't had issues, but it's not universal, nor particularly wide-spread, based upon satisfaction polls on this site.

Welcome back, zbop!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  20. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Tagged
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast