Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #81  
    Well, I hope everyone had a good thanksgiving! In between stuffing myself and watching football, I managed to get a little hacking in this weekend.

Anyways, I coded up a hidelogo replacement which gets rid of the carrier line on the today screen. As I expected, this involves some pretty tricky stuff...

But so far it seems to work, and is functionally the same as the old hidelogo. I'll need a few vict... uhh, volunteers to try this out before I officially release it. I'll post a cab with some instructions later tonight.
    Victimteer #1 here.
    Charliec
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    #....no, wait. I *LIKE* CrazieEddies cdate plugin.
  8.    #88  
    Description:

This is an early release of HideCarrier, please do NOT install this unless you read the following instructions carefully and are willing to help test this. If you want a stable release, please wait until it has been tested by others first. Once I release it, I'll create a new thread with an announcement for it.

HideCarrier is a functional replacement for hidelogo. It hides the carrier line, yet retains the functionality of the today screen dialer/lookup field. It should work in stock 128DPI mode or in 96DPI mode with RealVGA. I've also tested this briefly with UltimateLaunch and it seems to work properly. Currently, I would consider this alpha quality, so there are risks involved with installing it. The ideal tester would be:

- someone who has used hidelogo before so that you can evaluate if it provides the same functionality
    - should be able to edit the registry to enable logging if a problem occurs
    - should have full backups and be okay with doing a hard-reset if necessary

With that said, if you still want to continue, the installation instructions are below:

Installation:

1) Download HideCarrier_alpha1.zip and extract HideCarrier_alpha1.cab
    2) Install HideCarrier_alpha1.cab to your 800w
    3) From your today screen, use your right softkey and select Menu->Preferences->Hide Lookup Field
    4) Make sure your ringer switch is NOT set to off.
    5) Go into Start->Settings->Today->Items and move "HideCarrier" to the bottom of the list
    6) Select [x] HideCarrier to enable it

When you return to the today screen, your carrier line should disappear. There will be a brief pause before it disappears, this is similar to hidelogo and reflects the interval that the Today screen uses to "recognize" plugin size changes. If you start typing, the lookup plugin will appear and function as normal. Once you are done with the lookup field, you need to move the today screen focus OFF the lookup field to hide it and the carrier line again. This is also how hidelogo worked.

Troubleshooting:

1. If HideCarrier refuses to load or does not show up in your Today Items, make sure the ringer switch is set to ON (explained below).

2. If the dial lookup input field does not display characters or you aren't getting matches on your contacts, make sure that you have set the "Hide Lookup Field" option in your Phone Settings.

3. Logging
    If you run into issues, please enable logging by setting the following registry value to 1:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\HideCarrier\Logging = 1

Then reboot, reproduce the problem, and send me the logfile, \Temp\log.txt
    By default, you should leave logging off since it will slow things down and the logfile can get big quickly.

4. Failsafe Mode
    If you get into a state where your 800w will hang upon boot when the plugin is loaded, there is a failsafe built into HideCarrier. Simply pull the battery out of your 800w, slide the ringer switch on the top of your 800w to OFF (should show red), and then put the battery back in and let the 800w boot up. HideCarrier will not load and the plugin will no longer be selected to load. To reenable it, just slide your Ringer switch back to ON and then go back into the Today/Items settings. I will remove this feature once HideCarrier has been thorougly debugged/tested.

If you test this with a particular launcher, please report back your success or problems.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zbop; 12/02/2008 at 01:48 AM. Reason: re-uploaded
    So far so good. Tested with the various Treo Alert plugins in 128 dpi mode. Carrier is hidden without any side effects that I can see. Dial lookup still works. The on-call dialogs all work. Very nice.

Good job as always.
    workn great for me too
    I installed it, followed the directions, and yet, I still don't have a HideCarrier in my list of Today plugins, so I can't enable it. I also did a soft reset...no go.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    cancel that..

search isn't working. it opens the search box but no results come up.
    Installed and moved to the first plugin position like the old hide logo. Works great!
  14.    #94  
    Re: HideCarrier

Hey guys, my bad...

I just downloaded and installed the one I posted and something is definitely amiss. This is NOT the version that I was testing yesterday because it is behaving differently than the one I tested and intended to post.

I suspect that after I checkpointed my source, I went back and started making optimizations for the next version and accidentally rebuilt the cab.

I pulled the one that was posted, and I'll straighten it out tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    I suspect that after I checkpointed my source, I went back and started making optimizations for the next version and accidentally rebuilt the cab.
    "optimizations" = enable_keylogger()

16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    "optimizations" = enable_keylogger()

You reaaally didn't think I was doing this all for free, did ya?
    You reaaally didn't think I was doing this all for free, did ya?
    I'm just jealous I didn't think of it first.
    Never mind...I got it to work. I was just an ***** and didn't realize my ringer switch was in the vibrate position. Anyway, it works well. I wish I didn't have to do away with the dial lookup field as well as the carrier field, though. Also, with UltimateLaunch, it messes up the wallpaper alignment when you first set it, and also whenever the dial lookup field is brought up again. That's not your problem, though, so whatever. Overall, great job...thanks.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
  19.    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Never mind...I got it to work. I was just an ***** and didn't realize my ringer switch was in the vibrate position. Anyway, it works well. I wish I didn't have to do away with the dial lookup field as well as the carrier field, though. Also, with UltimateLaunch, it messes up the wallpaper alignment when you first set it, and also whenever the dial lookup field is brought up again. That's not your problem, though, so whatever. Overall, great job...thanks.
    Heh, I guess I should add that to the instructions.

I can't hide the carrier line without the lookup field currently, neither could hidelogo. But the lookup field should appear once you begin typing, if it doesn't, make sure that you have set the "Hide Lookup field" option.

Not sure about the wallpaper alignment issue, but sounds like anything that changes size might mess up Ultimate Launcher. If that is the case, even without HideCarrier you'll see an alignment problem if you select "Hide Lookup field".
    [B ]Re: HideCarrier[/B]

Hey guys, my bad...

I pulled the one that was posted, and I'll straighten it out tonight.
    Interesting since I haven't had any problems with it yet. ???
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast