View Poll Results: what new phone should I buy??

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • palm treo 800w

6 66.67%
  • htc touch diamond

0 0%
  • htc touch pro

0 0%
  • wait for a even better phone

3 33.33%
  1.    #1  
    I'm thinking of switching from centro to new 800 but I'm not sure I want to just yet I need some help!?!

are there common problems?

what are the pros an cons for wm6.1?

pros an cons for the 800?

palm os or wm6.1?

what programs are similar?

what are must have programs?

is there a power program like powerhero?

what you like or dislike?

htc touch pro or 800?

an anything else that would help me out with decideing ?

edit: what are must have apps??
    free or not free

what are some of your favorite apps?
    free or not free

things I should know about wm6.1?

things I should know before I switch??
    thanks!
    Last edited by famousdrummer82; 11/09/2008 at 03:34 PM.
    Try reading the sticky threads at the top of this forum. They pretty much answer your questions.
    The first thing you'll have to get over is that WM is not Palm. Try reading my thoughts on making that switch.
    GPS (for google maps and tomtom/garmin), Wifi (for quicker browsing, faster downloading of rss feeds, voip, etc), bigger keyboard that's just right in my opinion, and a better quality built phone over the Centro are what you'll gain.

As far as switching, I had a palmos phone for 4yrs before switching to the 800w, so the switch to windows mobile was a big, sometimes frustrating, sometimes delightful jump, but your situation may differ depending on your love for the simple os of palmos.

As for 800w vs Touch pro, if you love the one-handed operation that Treo/Centro offers than, 800w. I personally don't like the slide-out keyboard since it involves using two hands - touchscreen keyboard aren't my thing either, for now. The Touch Pro does have a bigger community however if modifying your firmware, and getting a lot of cool apps to work right out of the box is your thing also.

At the top of the 800w forum are a few sticky threads about apps for switchers from palmos and registry hacks. I personally found a replacement app for almost everything I had on palmos (only 2 i couldn't out of say fifteen). My only disappointment would be that the gui (aka cool factor) of software is equal to palmos, whereas I expected windows mobile apps would be a lot cooler/slicker and far more finger-friendly - and some are.

In the end, try both devices out at sprint - spend some time on each and keep in mind the practicality of something vs what just looks cool.

My final opinion, wait to see if the Treo Pro comes out on sprint - it's believed to be, as it has everything the 800w has, but with a stereo jack and larger capacity battery (and true standalone gps) - two(three) of the biggest downfalls of the almost perfect 800w.
    Last edited by opacityzero; 11/09/2008 at 10:58 AM.
  5.    #5  
    thanks for the detailed reply as for the battery anyone know if there's a app like power hero availble I had to charge my centro twice a day an now (after using power hero) I coulg go 1-4 days with out charging dependin on use

any common problems people are having?

I'm concerned about the charger/audio jack/usb input I heard its not a common usb jack an is it a big deal ? can you get a adapter to go to 3.5mm audio jack

can some one post some pics of windows mobile apps or screenshots or point me in the direction where I can find some mainly browser messaging email launcher(home screen) dialing

anyone wish they wouldn't have switched from palm os

is browsing a lot faster or really no difference?

what's this I hear about the gps not being real gps?
    (how much is sprint nav.)

is it bluetooth ad2p?

anything else that will help me

thanks so much!

Posted from a palm CENTRO!
    <a href="http://www.tmicell.com/?aid=22671">Deep Discounts and Great Selection on Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint/Nextel</a>

CENTRO FREE w/new contract!! Free Shipping

<a href="http://www.tmiwireless.com/affiliate/?aid=22671">Join the tmiWireless.com cell phone affiliate program and earn excellent commissions on 2 tiers. You get a free personalized website, 24/7 statistics and reporting, and residual income on some products.</a>

http://www.famouswireless.net
  6.    #6  
    oh yea forgot also if I get the 800 what are some of your favorite apps , an must have apps
    There are about a dozen threads on the forums answering all your questions, as well as showing the screen shots in which you're interested. Start with the very lengthy sticky thread asking "what does your Today screen look like."
  8.    #8  
    i know i can find most anwsers but i want updated and more personal feel to my anwsers i like personal anwsers not generalized things plus isnt that the point of a forum?
    <a href="http://www.tmicell.com/?aid=22671">Deep Discounts and Great Selection on Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint/Nextel</a>

CENTRO FREE w/new contract!! Free Shipping

<a href="http://www.tmiwireless.com/affiliate/?aid=22671">Join the tmiWireless.com cell phone affiliate program and earn excellent commissions on 2 tiers. You get a free personalized website, 24/7 statistics and reporting, and residual income on some products.</a>

http://www.famouswireless.net
    Well yes, that is the point of the forum. But are you suggesting that the answers and input that we've given already are less than personal?
    yes, the bluetooth is A2DP. If what you mean is "does it transmit stereo audio via bluetooth?" then answer is yes. My car system is a Bluetooth Sony and I listen to my music from the treo on that. One weird thing is I have to go into the BT settings, disable the stereo headphone function and re-enable it every time...it doesn't just automatically work each time like I want it to, but it works.

The GPS uses the sprint data connection. It works as I would expect a GPS to work, though, but you need Sprint's data service, and that's why it's not standalone.

I've been a palm user all along (visor, visor prism, treo 270, treo 300, treo 650) and made the switch last week. I'm very happy with it so far.

The battery is the same as the Centro, but from what I hear the battery gets conditioned over time and will eventually last longer.

The headphone jack is micro USB...but doesn't seem to be standard. I don't use wired headsets so it wasn't a big deal to me, but the treo does come with one.

Overall, the syncing is easier than it was under PalmOS; it's more automatic. I was kind of forced to the Windows Mobile because Palm refuses to support Windows Vista 64bit with PalmOS.