Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...which I happen to know they ARE, since I've been contacted by PALM before about posts on this board : Take a hint and make the Sprint version of the TREOPRO with a textured finish so we don't have to deal with all the scratching that we're hearing about. I will be 50 shades of p*ssed if my PRO gets scratched like the back of my IPOD............ ! While you're at it, make it hot like the Blackberries - I love the red and black CURVE - why can't PALM make something sleek like that for their phones?
    Bek
    SprintPCS Centro
    Lets see now....

Sprint version of the Treo Pro. Non-shiny finish (maybe a nice soft touch paint finish?)

Sounds a lot like the 800w to me.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Let's just get the pro first. We now see with the centro that improvements will be made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatal99 View Post
    Let's just get the pro first. We now see with the centro that improvements will be made.
    What improvements did they make with the Centro? Are you just referring to the color changes?

I would be surprised if they made different colors for the Pro/800w. These devices probably won't appeal to the younger crowd the way the Centro has.

I ordered an Invisible Shield to help protect against scratches. Seems like it is taking a long time to get here, though.
    Currently using a Treo Pro with Seidio's holster.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    matte finish more internal memory and more useful in rom apps
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatal99 View Post
    matte finish more internal memory and more useful in rom apps
    Ahh, I just went to the Centro forum and saw this update to the Centro. Not just a firmware upgrade, but a whole new device, along with a price increase. Good for Palm for keeping that money maker going.

I still doubt we will ever see changes to the Pro/800w like those that have been made to the Centro.
    Currently using a Treo Pro with Seidio's holster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Lets see now....

Sprint version of the Treo Pro. Non-shiny finish (maybe a nice soft touch paint finish?)

Sounds a lot like the 800w to me.
    Except with working GPS, 3.5mm headset jack, better LCD, smaller size and vastly increased battery life.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they soft matted the finish.

Look at the Diamond and Touch Pro.. many people complain about the changes to the battery door and color..

Personally I think they are way better than that fingerprint magnet of a back on the original devices.. not to mention that change was also to fit a bigger battery than the original specs called for.

Sprint will prob change the Treo Pro a little which is alright by me as long as they don't get rid of something in the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Except with working GPS
    Which has some fairly serious issues of it's own.

3.5mm headset jack
    A headset jack doesn't mean much to me personally, but I can't disagree there.

better LCD
    It's essentially the same screen. It's still a 320x320 resolution at 128 DPI.

And if you're going to say flush screen, I will not use a device with a flush screen because I'm too hard on them. The recessed screen has saved my LCD more than once between my 650, 700wx, and now the 800w.

At most it's a personal preference, which hardly makes it any "better" than a different color would be.

smaller size
    Barely smaller, and it's actually bigger in some dimensions.

vastly increased battery life.
    The only reason that I would ever even choose the Pro, in every other way I prefer the 800w (and most of that is simply personal preference).

Now lets not forget:

Worse keyboard layout
    Buttons don't "click"
    Cracking issues
    Slower device

I think the Pro is an excellent device all aroudn and it fits a lot of people's needs. Just not mine. And it's certainly not vastly superior to the 800w, it's a similar device with it's own set of pro's and con's, and each person will have to weigh those factors against their own needs.

To me the lack of battery life is outweighed by the recessed screen, keyboard, and soft touch paint. For others two of those three factors aren't good things. That's fine, different phones for different folks (to shamelessly borrow an old phrase).
    I hate to say it but price is another factor. When compared to what's out there or coming soon, the Pro may or may not be a good deal at $550, depending on how you feel. I prefer a clean phone but just couldn't pass up the fact that people were selling the Epix at way below $550. If they sell the Fuze at a similar price point, I may not ever get a Pro, but just ask AT&T to SIM unlock the phones if I need to go overseas.

Although the Sprint version will be less and they may tweak it for usage. So it could be a good deal then.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Barely smaller, and it's actually bigger in some dimensions.
    Um, the Treo Pro is 30% smaller than the 800w yet has a 30% larger battery!
    Um, the Treo Pro is 30% smaller than the 800w yet has a 30% larger battery!
    Treo Pro:
    Length: 4.49", Width: 2.36", Depth: 0.53", Weight: 4.69 oz

Treo 800w:
    Length: 4.41", Width: 2.28", Depth: 0.73", Weight: 5.0 oz

Volume = Length X Width X Height

Treo Pro: 6.903 cubic inches
    Treo 800w: 7.340004 cubic inches

That makes the Treo Pro nearly exactly 5% smaller.

And as far as the battery goes:

Treo Pro:
    Removable, rechargeable 1500mAh lithium-ion; Up to 5.0 hours talk time and up to 250 hours standby

Treo 800w:
    Removable 1150 mAh lithium-ion; up to 4.5 hours talk time or up to 200 hours standby time

There's only a 23.333333333333333333333333333333% difference in battery size (mAh), a 10% difference in talk time, and a 20% difference in standby time.

Um, the Treo Pro is 5% smaller than the 800w yet has a 10-20% larger battery (depending on usage)!
    Corrections in red above. I'm sure you'd only want to give absolutely correct information, right?

Maybe you should review the spec pages a little more closely next time.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...pro/specs.html
    http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...00w/specs.html
    Um, try again. Your math is very flawed.

The Treo Pro has a volume of 5.61 cubic inches which is 30% smaller than the 800w brick.

1500mAh is also 30% larger than 1150mAh.

Perhaps you should use a real calculator because the one on your 800w seems to be buggy. ROTFLMAO
  14.    #14  
    Wow. You know, once you used to be able to come here and get real help and opinions..... It's really just one giant pissing contest here now, isn't it?

Seriously - this thread started by me hoping Sprint would make a change in the mere FINISH of the Treo Pro - not change the shape, style or size of the thing, just the FINISH. I've seen it happen from carrier to carrier with color, so I was expessing my hope that they'd see the complaints about the fingerprint magnet that the PRO is, and change it before it arrives on Sprint. Through many twists and turns, this thread BECAME about who knows more than who and who is better at math........ enough already, no one is impressed.

Sheesh.
    Bek
    SprintPCS Centro
    I may be wrong about this, but I have the impression that whatever "they" are going to do has probably been decided a long time ago. If not they probably won't be paying attention to this "lowly" forum...... I'm still marveling at how good the Treo Pro is compared to anything else Palm has ever done.... I'm still "in love"
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I am right with you Bek. I am excited for this phone to come to sprint & would love to see any or all of the cnages you mentioned.

ftwitty - I beg to differ on this being a "lowly" forum, I feel it is a good channel for the end users to get their true feelings out about a product, and have heard many situations similar to Bek's at the beginning where users have gotten real feedback from carriers and manufacurers.
    BEKKTEK is right. I would even settle for a matted or rubberized battery cover to lay it down on. How hard would that be to do? I literally lay mine down like a $100,000 crystal every time and I still have scratches on the back... nevermind the finger prints and cracks that are developing..... ugh... don't get me started

P.S.- I do LOVE everything else about the TP though after my 600/650/680 past. Although the 680 was incredible as well in my opinion.
    Last edited by KJKRAMER; 11/09/2008 at 04:59 PM. Reason: add ons
  18. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekktek View Post
    Wow. You know, once you used to be able to come here and get real help and opinions..... It's really just one giant pissing contest here now, isn't it?

Seriously - this thread started by me hoping Sprint would make a change in the mere FINISH of the Treo Pro - not change the shape, style or size of the thing, just the FINISH. I've seen it happen from carrier to carrier with color, so I was expessing my hope that they'd see the complaints about the fingerprint magnet that the PRO is, and change it before it arrives on Sprint. Through many twists and turns, this thread BECAME about who knows more than who and who is better at math........ enough already, no one is impressed.

Sheesh.
    True enough, but if you're going to come on with a "holier than thou" attitude rubbishing someone else's post with sarcastic comments like "I'm sure you'd only want to give absolutely correct information, right? Maybe you should review the spec pages a little more closely next time.", it might help if you checked your basic multiplication skills first
    Treo Pro:
    Length: 4.49", Width: 2.36", Depth: 0.53", Weight: 4.69 oz
    Treo 800w:
    Length: 4.41", Width: 2.28", Depth: 0.73", Weight: 5.0 oz
    Volume = Length X Width X Height
    Treo Pro: 6.903 cubic inches
    Treo 800w: 7.340004 cubic inches
    That makes the Treo Pro nearly exactly 5% smaller.
    I am sick and tireed of these snarky posts, complete with sarcastic " " and red corrections other people out of no actual knowledge and fudging numbers.

Here it is simple:
    4.49x.2.36x.53= 5.616

7.34 is not "5%" larger than 5.616!
    Just eyeball the numbers! you third grade math. 1.724 cubic inches is about 1/3 of 5.616
    The 800w is about 30% larger than the Pro.

Treo Pro:
    Removable, rechargeable 1500mAh lithium-ion; Up to 5.0 hours talk time and up to 250 hours standby
    Treo 800w:
    Removable 1150 mAh lithium-ion; up to 4.5 hours talk time or up to 200 hours standby time

There's only a 23.333333333333333333333333333333% difference in battery size (mAh),
    Actually the battery is over 30% larger and the way people use handsets, that is going to come to between 30% to 50% more usable time.
    I am very hard on my devices and flush screens have never gotten more scratched for me. In fact they tend to less scratches. most newer devices have flush screens because it is what people prefer. Flush screens are easier to clean and the corners have more utility on a touch screen.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast