Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 47 of 47
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    It isn't just the math on the size difference, look at the first post:

    Questioning the size difference is not just a math problem, it shows that the person who did it never handled the Pro.


    I ws on the phone with a Palm rep who said that he had both on his desk. He said that the Pro is only a thumb nail slimmer than the 800W. That's it.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx View Post
    I guess the real question IS the Pro coming out for Sprint???????????????

    If so WHEN????? I just bought an 800W..
    Yes.

    January/February (?)

    No firm launch date is set but I believe that is what they are aiming for.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    A very balanced post regarding personal needs and taste. I can't really argue with that, except to say that your "minor" differences between the 800w and Pro (real GPS, 3.5mm jack, flush screen, much slimmer build etc.) are extremely significant when it comes to choosing a device, and are just the kind of features that would make someone look at other brands of devices as well as Palm (e.g. the Samsungs).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    There are 2 major upgrades and 1 major fix (3.5mm jack and battery, and standalone GPS).
    I did not say those were minor. In fact, quite the opposite.

    I believe that the differences between the phones as taken as a whole are not "significant". That's my personal view, and probably matches only a portion of folks here. There's no set number saying "Oh, when you hit 10% changes than that's a major difference" but I can't imagine that 3 changes out of dozens would be considered a huge difference between phones by many people.

    As I said, however, if those three changes are ones that make/break the phone to you, then it is a huge difference for those specific features.



    Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    So if your point is to say that the differences between the Pro and 800w are superficial, and that over and above that they are more or less the same but different (whatever that means), then you might as well say that all other qwerty-bar phones are the "same" too!
    Largely my point is that "superficial" is in the eye of the beholder.

    To someone like myself, the differences are minor. But then again I'm also including comparing every single file in those differences. Normal people don't do that.

    Even not including software, hardware-wise the phones are extremely similar. If you handed them to someone who wasn't familiar with them, with no branding on them, and asked what they thought, most people would think they were the same phone just in different colors/options (or perhaps one was a knock off the other).

    As a perfect example, someone today commented on the fact that my wife and I drive the same truck (merely a year apart, '96 vs '97). My wife cracked up, and when I asked her what was so funny she said "We drive the same truck, and we have the same phone!"

    Now to me, the 700wx is most assuredly not the same phone as the 800w. But to her, the 700wx does exactly everything the 800w does, which makes it the same. (Everything that she uses, that is.)



    So yes, a comparison of an 800w/Pro to any qwerty phone is acceptable. Heck, even a comparison to a basic candybar phone is perfectly acceptable....assuming that the person with the candybar phone only wants to dial out. Heck, that person would most likely be extremely unhappy with a Treo, because it will not do what s/he wants it to as well as their cheap candybar phone.

    How often do you see people post up threads like "Epix or 800w?" or "Mogul or 700wx?" or "Touch Pro or Treo Pro?"? I don't consider any of those comparisons to be the same (or fair), but few people look at the phones at the same level of detail that I do.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx View Post
    I ws on the phone with a Palm rep who said that he had both on his desk. He said that the Pro is only a thumb nail slimmer than the 800W. That's it.
    Your point? The Treo Pro is over 30% smaller than the 800w. Fact.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Your point? The Treo Pro is over 30% smaller than the 800w. Fact.
    Yea, but are you a Palm Rep?
  6. fatal99's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    #46  
    Jeez guys. I am very interested in news about this phone coming to sprint. I don't think there are more than 10 informational posts in this 3 page long thread. I wasn't going to say anything but I honestly don't think many people care much whose math is right or wrong, even mor so they don't care about semantics. Obviously some people aren't of the opinion that the Pro is much of an improvement to the 800w and that's fine to voice that opinion, no need to argue though.
  7. #47  
    WoW
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions