Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    True enough, but if you're going to come on with a "holier than thou" attitude rubbishing someone else's post with sarcastic comments like "I'm sure you'd only want to give absolutely correct information, right? Maybe you should review the spec pages a little more closely next time.", it might help if you checked your basic multiplication skills first
    Too true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatal99 View Post
    I am right with you Bek. I am excited for this phone to come to sprint & would love to see any or all of the cnages you mentioned.

ftwitty - I beg to differ on this being a "lowly" forum, I feel it is a good channel for the end users to get their true feelings out about a product, and have heard many situations similar to Bek's at the beginning where users have gotten real feedback from carriers and manufacurers.
    From our point of view it is hardly "lowly", but from years of observation, Palm doesn't appear to listen even if they read any forum. We can always hope.
    LOL at the math posts! I have owned the 800w and currently have the Pro. The 800w went back. The Pro is staying

Anyhow, I also would like a little less slippery finish on the Pro. I have dropped it twice now as it seems it can slip off your lap or out of your hand like it is covered in grease. I bought the invisible shield which is supposed to provide the surface with a bit more grip. Hopefully it will help.
    Currently using a Treo Pro with Seidio's holster.
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAholic View Post
    LOL at the math posts! I have owned the 800w and currently have the Pro. The 800w went back. The Pro is staying
    Good call. Now you get working GPS and a real earpiece.

I wonder where ebag went with his new math. I was really hoping to get an explaination as to how 4.49 x 2.36 x .53 = 6.903. Bizarro world?
    Quote Originally Posted by ftwitty View Post
    I may be wrong about this, but I have the impression that whatever "they" are going to do has probably been decided a long time ago. If not they probably won't be paying attention to this "lowly" forum...... I'm still marveling at how good the Treo Pro is compared to anything else Palm has ever done.... I'm still "in love"
    Actually, the "finish" on the device is usually decided late in the development process.

Along with things like color, accents, logo placement, etc. these things are easy to change and often during the beta testing period, Sprint's testers have different versions floating around.

This is assuming of course that Sprint would ask for a matte finish/rubberized paint version or are at least interested in the option. They could have seen the TP as is and just said "give us that" in which case the possible option is no longer one However I think Sprint would want to differentiate it from the unlocked GSM version--just look at the Touch Diamond changes.

I'm with the others though: matte finish/rubberized feel over glossy black.

All they'd have to do is make the back battery plate (which is the whole back) rubberized and keep the glossy front for a nice two-tone look.

It'd also ape the BB Bold a bit, which would be a smart thing to do. Shoot, just go for the faux leather and have them interchangeable with different colors and go all the way.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    If it is glossy, just throw an invisible shield on there. So much better than the rubberized paint from the factory and guaranteed for life.
  7. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Good call. Now you get working GPS and a real earpiece.

I wonder where ebag went with his new math. I was really hoping to get an explaination as to how 4.49 x 2.36 x .53 = 6.903. Bizarro world?
    I note he's not had the decency to admit his mistake or apologise for the flaming.
    I note he's not had the decency to admit his mistake or apologise for the flaming.
    It isn't just the math on the size difference, look at the first post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Lets see now....
    Sprint version of the Treo Pro. Non-shiny finish (maybe a nice soft touch paint finish?)
    Sounds a lot like the 800w to me.
    What the person is asserting is that the Pro and the 800W are the same. I've been using both the Pro and the 800W and there are many fundamental improvements and added features on the Pro. Questioning the size difference is not just a math problem, it shows that the person who did it never handled the Pro.
    Everyone has noticed. That troll won't be coming around these parts any longer.
    Everyone has noticed.
    Okay, I goofed on the size.

That troll won't be coming around these parts any longer.
    Pot....kettle....something?

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    What the person is asserting is that the Pro and the 800W are the same.
    No where did I say that the Pro and 800w are the same. I merely suggested that they are similar.

Sounds a lot like the 800w to me.
    Which, is in fact completely true. The majority of features are either similar or identical on both devices.
    Last edited by Ebag333; 11/15/2008 at 02:23 AM.
    I am also looking forward to the Treo Pro.
    I love the idea of matte rubberized finish..

I wouldnt really care about the color as long as it's nothing like the new colors for the Centro, Berry and Sick Lime..

Usually the colors for smart devices is very classy from Sprint as it is for a different market.

I do prefer the keyboard on the 800w but I love the fact the Treo Pro has a headphone jack as I work out with my phone as my Ipod..
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Just don't be surprised when you get some cracks on that Treo Pro sshorkey. There has been a lot of rampaging Treo Pro owners wanting they're money back because of unexplainable cracks on this phone. So watch out.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Okay, I goofed on the size.
    You also "goofed" on the battery capacity. Kind of like how Palm goofed on the 800w's GPS. LOL

The Treo Pro is over 30% smaller than the 800w and has over 30% more battery capacity.
    You also "goofed" on the battery capacity. Kind of like how Palm goofed on the 800w's GPS. LOL

The Treo Pro is over 30% smaller than the 800w and has over 30% more battery capacity.
    Plus many other upgrades and fixes. The pro is a significant upgrade and everyone knows it except one person who has never touched it.

Let's be real. Lots of people are waiting an anticipating the CDMA version of the Pro. People are excited about it! Including many 800w owners. They are impatient about it.

Is anyone waiting for the GSM version of the 800w
    No matter how much I love my Pro (No Cracks) If I was thinking of getting a new device, and heard some were getting cracks, and Palm was being alittle difficult with replacements, I might just consider getting something else.
    That's exactly where I am berdinkerdickle. I did not get the Pro since my 700p/755p experience showed me to wait for user reports but since I do not see improvement from Palm, I'm looking somewhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Plus many other upgrades and fixes. The pro is a significant upgrade and everyone knows it except one person who has never touched it.

Let's be real.
    Yes, lets be real.

Comparing them side by side, the majority of the features are the same. There are 2 major upgrades and 1 major fix (3.5mm jack and battery, and standalone GPS).

There are minor differences which most would consider "nice to have" such as slightly lighter and thinner.

Then there are some things which are actually worse. Such as the keyboard. Or the system lag.

Then you get into plenty of stuff which is purely personal preference. Recessed VS flush screen. Soft touch VS shiney. Color. Etc.

Is the Pro an upgrade to the 800w? Sure. It's newer, it was developed after the 800w, etc.

Is the Pro very similar to the 800w. You betcha. Go compare the specs side by side. 90% of the features are the same. (And no, not exactly 90%, but you get the idea.) Is the Pro perfect? Nope, it has plenty of it's own issues (a few of which it shares with the 800w).

I personally would not consider it a "significant" upgrade. The 700wx to 800w (or Pro), sure, that's a significant upgrade (wifi and GPS added). I personally (and that's just my opinion, you're free to have your own) would not consider the 3 major changes between the 800w and Pro to be significant.

Of course to someone who lives or dies by their headphones, that jack is "a big frickin' deal". That's why folks like Mal who say that picking a phone is personal preference hit it right on the money. 99% of people may not care about a feature or a bug, but to that 1% that feature/bug makes or breaks the phone.

I type on my 800w. A lot. I'm also hard on my phones. Because of those two factors the keyboard and recessed screen are really big issues for me. Most people could care less about the recessed screen, or think it's better. Most people agree that the keyboard is worse on the Pro, but don't find it that big of a deal. Those two features alone make my choice of the 800w better for me than the Pro.

Aero, you travel a lot. So for you a true standalone GPS is a huge deal. Probably the battery life is as well. My travel is all short distance and generally with easy access to service and power (well, except when I'm out 100+ miles away from the nearest house, but that's a different story ). The Pro seems to be the superior choice to you. The 800w is to me. To each their own.
  18. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    A very balanced post regarding personal needs and taste. I can't really argue with that, except to say that your "minor" differences between the 800w and Pro (real GPS, 3.5mm jack, flush screen, much slimmer build etc.) are extremely significant when it comes to choosing a device, and are just the kind of features that would make someone look at other brands of devices as well as Palm (e.g. the Samsungs). Even the the most uninformed buyer could tell them apart due to the radically different styling (and to the general public, first impressions count heavily). So if your point is to say that the differences between the Pro and 800w are superficial, and that over and above that they are more or less the same but different (whatever that means), then you might as well say that all other qwerty-bar phones are the "same" too!
    I guess the real question IS the Pro coming out for Sprint???????????????

If so WHEN????? I just bought an 800W..
    Last edited by Triple xXx; 11/15/2008 at 06:05 PM.
    So can someone estimate for me when the 800w will be out of stock once the Pro comes for Sprint? Because god forbid my phone has a accident.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast