1.    #1  
    Hi all...Does anyone when the Pro might be coming to AT&T? I am thinking of selling mine already, being that I have the Blackberry Bold now, which is amazing. I LOVE the Pro, though, and I want to get it as soon as it shows up on AT&T.

How I wish we had multi-SIM technology in the U.S...
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

The one you have is better, no bloatware and likely open GPS and wifi.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Isn't this the 3rd thread asking this exact question?
  4.    #4  
    Relax...geez...I was looking for a recent thread asking that, and still there is no response.

Do you guys find the 400MHz processor adequate?? I love the device, but it lags a little.

@PhoneDiva: AT&T doesn't cripple their phones nearly as brutally as Verizon does, and I get always get the unlock code. But I'm interested in what you mean exactly. I have the Treo 750, which I will end up keeping if I sell my Pro, and in what way would an unlocked unbranded version of either the 750 and/or the Pro be "better"?

Thanks...
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

Are you getting a cooked ROM for the AT&T Pro if they release it? Then it may be worth it. I am sick of not being able to remove programs I barely ever use, because AT&T doesn't offer the option to uninstall their pet "send to their media sites so they can collect money" programs. I have so much unwanted crap taking up valuable room. A clean ROM is much better.

I'm speaking of the Epix, but they do this to all their phones, it's unavoidable on AT&T.

Forgot to mention that one person reported the wifi on the Epix was crippled until you uncheck the proxy option in connections. I wonder if that's common knowledge though. Another thing; I didn't check the GPS on the Epix, but AT&T locked up the Blackjack II GPS to it's money making version of Telenav(now called AT&T GPS) and a hack was needed. You have to watch for those sort of things with a branded ROM from AT&T.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 11/09/2008 at 03:37 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The 400mhz processor is noticeably slower than the Epix and Omnia. It just takes a little getting used to but it's not a deal breaker.

It would have been nice to have a bigger engine under the hood but that would probably translate to shorter battery life.

As far as when the Pro will be available with the AT&T Brand, if I had to guess, I'd say mid-December just in the nick of time for Christmas.
    Some pro's and con's if and when AT&T carries the TP

Pro's:

1. Subsidized price probably shaves at least $200 off the current retail price

2. Repair/warranty situation will likely be far suprior--typically on AT&T devices you get free replacement for the first year, (although it can be a refurb unit) and it is very easy. If you are fortunate enough to live close to one of their repair centers they can swap you a device on the spot (did this with my 750 about a year ago), or if not you do it by FedEx/UPS and only pay the postage I think.--If this was the case with my TP I would have saved a couple of hours of voice and chat support for my replacement for my dead GPS.

Con's

1. Device will have AT&T bloatware and could have components/features locked down and or tied to AT&T profit centers.

2. In order to get the subsidy a 2 year contract will likely be required AND some minimal amount of data pricing. This might not sound bad but there are "grandfathered" data plans such as MEdia Max that give you unlimited data for $20 that you won't be able to use when you get the TP as they will not be "compliant"--thus you could be spending $20 more a month so in effect after 10 months or so you might have spent more with the subisized TP than you would have with the unlocked.

3. International usage could require unlocking which is at best a small pain and at worst a huge pain (and time).

4. Updates and patches for the AT&T branded TP will almost certainly take longer to get QC'd and released as there will be one more layer of testing to take place--and we have already seen that Palm has still yet to release their first patch for a number of clearly identified bugs that already exist.

I am guessing most users on this site know all this but for me I am thinking unlocked will be the right call in the end for me--although one more protracted warranty/customer support issue for me with Palm and I could feel otherwise. When you look at the AT&T about face on the iPhone where they now charge far less for the device but far more for the service you can see that at least AT&T and Apple felt the purchase subsidy in exchange for the higher monthly service charges worked for both of them.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Good point about updates. AT&T updates are SLOW so they can figure out how to milk their firmware once again.

Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Unlocking an AT&T phone (if you're an AT&T customer) is quite simple - you just ask (after 30 days or so.)
    Here's the New 'Ultra' Pro Coming to At&t!
    I really like how they spread the keys apart.

No comments from Phone Diva Please.
    Just call me Berd.
    Move the "Treo" Logo to the top, opposite "AT&T" then enlarge the screen a touch or put soft keys there.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Move the "Treo" Logo to the top, opposite "AT&T" then enlarge the screen a touch or put soft keys there.
    The screen has to stay at 320x320, so I say add the softkeys.
    Just call me Berd.
    Happy owner here of a Treo Pro as of Today (Veterans Day) November 11, 2008, Hoah Palm!
    Last edited by chestvrg; 11/11/2008 at 09:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I spoke with an AT&T rep and the district manager today (just happened to be in store when I walked in), and they have heard nothing as of yet. For all intents and purposes, they mentioned that there is normally a lag time of 1-2 months where the phone shows up in their system while they are performing system checks and tests BEFORE the phone is available for sale.

At this point, their best guess is end of Q1 - and that's IF Palm/AT&T can work out the subsidy issues.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    DSOL's excellent post raises a question for me. I am currently using a Treo 680 with a grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan for $20/mo. Would that necessarily change if I purchase an unlocked Treo Pro from Dell and swap the SIM card from the 680 to the Pro? That may make a difference as to whether I wait to buy a subsidized phone.

Thanks for the help!
    This subject has been hotly discussed and debated in a number of threads--so much so that I hate I even brought it up again here. Some claim if you have a non-conforming data plan and you are using it on the wrong device--such as a non-pda plan with a pda--that AT&T can bill you some rediculous charge for doing so if they find out. Some say they can tell by your phone's IMEI and some say they can't. I don't buy this because, #1 it has never happened to me and #2 I just upgraded a family members phone on my account and the customer service rep put in a bunch of 1's for the IMEI when she set up the new phone. She claimed it didn't matter what they put in. This would make it hard for AT&T to know what type of device you are using wouldn't it?

Other's say that if you have the $20 unlimited plan that they no longer offer that you are "grandfatherd" in and they can't charge you anymore as long as the account is active.

If you want my opionion, I would not recommend asking them if it is officially okay for you to use your current plan with a Pro. They will likely say no. I have used my SIM in a RAZR, Nokia, iPhone, Treo 650, 750 and now with the Pro and it works in all of them. I say go ahead and buy the TP unlocked, know that every month you have it that you save around $20 in data over what they would tell you you need; and when you hit the 10 month mark know you are now even on the subsidy loss--and that assumes that AT&T ever actually carries the TP. What if they don't have it until June--then you've waited 8 months to save $200--is that really worth it (less than $1 per day)? This assumes the subsidy will be $200, which of course could be wrong but most likely will be close.

Good luck.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Same here I use the unlimitted $15/mo data plan (non-PDA) and have not had a problem at all. The IMEI I have registered w/them its a Samsung regular flip-phone w/3G capable, but I use my SIM in my Pro w/o any problems at all nada.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Thanks so much for the replies, Dsol and chestvrg. I apologize for asking the question before researching the issue. I'll probably go with the unlocked version from either Dell or Provanatge because they offer good discounts. I just read a review of another new phone offered by AT&T, and the reviewer decried the fact that AT&T loads a bunch of unneeded and irremovable crapware on their phones, so that is even more reason to buy an unlocked Pro.