1.    #1  
    1) Can you view your deleted items folder?
    2) When you delete a message does it go to the deleted items folder?
    3) Can you sync only 30 days of your sent mail folder but ALL of your inbox?
    4) How else do you confirm that a message was sent? There is no local copy of sent items, correct?
    5) Can you select more than one message at a time to move to a different folder?
    6) When you move a message that you just read, it doesn't mark as read. So when I go back to my office and use outlook, I have a lot of bolded unread messages in my folders. I think I need to read, wait for an automatic sync, then move. Any way to change that?

All of these features are available in Chatter and it suprises me that a WM device cannot have the same customization with a Windows Server product. Any help would be most appreciated. Thx.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I'll try to answer these:

1. Only if you set it to sync. If you're like my wife and you have 16,388 items in your deleted items folder, then this isn't recommended. If you have Outlook desktop set to empty deleted items on exit (like I do), this wouldn't be a problem since the deleted items folder never gets very large. Basically, some people use "deleted items" like a giant filing cabinet and others use it as a trash can.

2. Yes, locally, until the next synchronization. Then if you don't have your deleted items folder set to sync, it "disappears" from your device, though it does show up in the deleted items folder on the server.

3. I do not believe you can have different sync time periods per folder. BUT you can remote search the server even within folders that aren't synced. This is a huge benefit to Exchange 2007 and WM6.1.

4. I have never had a message fail to send with Mailstreet Hosted Exchange. Ever. This does not even register as a concern for me; if you're worried, bcc yourself on every message you send - I know some people that do that just to keep a record anyway. And yes that's a wicked endorsement. I've tried other hosted exchange providers and Mailstreet has never done me wrong. And yes, they're on the more expensive side and completely worth it if you're a small business user.

5. Couple of ways...use the stylus to drag-select (you can sort the folder by sender, subject, or date first if that helps), then tap-hold...move...select the folder. Or, a couple of little known tricks - bring up the software keyboard and press the "ctrl" key. It stays down. You can then cherry-pick messages and they will be group-selected. You can also ctrl-a and grab the whole folder.

6. I have never experienced that - all my messages' read status updates perfectly on every device (multiple PC's with Outlook 2007, OWA, and two Pocket PC devices). Pocket outlook marks a message as "read" the second I open it on the 800w.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by haus; 11/06/2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Minor edits for clarity
  3.    #3  
    Some clarifications:

1) I only have one Deleted Items folder on the 800w. I do not see a way to sync it.
    a) If I am in the Deleted Items folder and press send/recieve, nothing shows up even though there are items in my desktop deleted items folder.
    b) Under tools -> Manage folders, if I hold down the center button on Deleted Items folder, the Folder Options... is grayed out.

2) You say locally. I only have one Deleted Items folder. What is the difference between locally on on the server?

3) I knew about that. It is definitely a good feature. Thanks.

4) Noted.

5) I can't figure out how to select multiple messages using the stylus as you first suggested. I do see a way to use the ctrl key on the keyboard though. Thx.

6) I guess I will need to test more.

I think I could 'live' with this and give up chatter (by creating some server side mail rules to keep my sent items folder small, if I can deal with the deleted items issue.

Any further help would be most appreciated. Thx.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    You're right. I've never done it before but I assumed one could sync the special folders including Deleted Items. Seems that "Sent" is the only special folder other than Inbox that you can sync. Honest mistake.

If you know what you're searching for, the "Search server" feature *will* look in the deleted items folder on the server and show the message on the 800w. Might help on occasion.

For #2, locally means "on your device". When I delete an item on the phone it stays in the 800w "deleted items" folder until the next synchronization, which is either when a new item comes in from the exchange server or I press "send/receive" on the phone (or selected other times that relate to various settings). You can't rely on something staying in the "Deleted items" folder on your 800w, evidently, so they expect it to be used as a real "deleted items" folder - things that are not meant to be retrieved. This is how I use outlook - my deleted items folder in Outlook 2007 empties on exit. I'm serious about the stuff that goes in there.

#5: you touch the first message with the stylus and then drag up or down in the list (start moving the stylus before the tap-hold menu appears). Like drawing a line in a paint program, only it selects messages as you drag.

Reflecting...I'm not exactly sure what you plan to use "Deleted Items" for such that you can still read them on the phone, but evidently it's not the way Microsoft wants you to do it (not trying to start a flame war...stay with me). You could create a folder on your 800w, "To Be Deleted" or something like that, put things in there that you plan to get rid of but may change your mind. When I travel, I sometimes create a folder with a name that implies "deal with it when I get home" so I can keep note of things but keep the inbox clean.

Every program requires a slightly different way of working, so it can be hard to transition from one to another. I love Exchange, though, and I've been working with POutlook for years so I don't have any hangups about missing functionality (I'll be the first to admit that POutlook is pretty barebones and simplistic, so features like HTML email and remote server search are "wahoo!" moments for us longtime users.)

If you post more about what you want to accomplish, you might get some interesting organizational tips from people about how they use POutlook and other programs. I should note, also, that this thread is not 800w-specific, and could relate to any WM6 phone tied to an Exchange 2007 server.

Hope that helps!
  5.    #5  
    Wow. Thanks so much for the continued conversation. No big deal abt your 'honest mistake'. As they say "I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong". .

I totally understand what you are saying. I really have to look at a new way of using the device. And you are right, if you never had some of these features (like I have with Chatter), you can't miss them.

With that said, I use my deleted items (both in outlook and chatter) as follows: I press delete, it moves to the deleted items folder. At some point, and only occassionally, I empty that folder.

On a mobile device, I think that is important because I have often accidentally deleted a message. Especially since the 800w has a dedicated delete key, I would like an opportunity to get a message back if I accidentally delete it or misfile it. I guess I could search for what I just deleted and then try moving it back, but it is much easier to see the deleted folder and it's content. Again, it may just be dealing with a new way to work. I am sure there is no way to remap that bottom left button to not be delete, right?

As for the sent items, I have divided my 50,000 sent items into years at about 10,000 per year. So now, I can sync that folder which only has 10k messages and it should be OK. Would have prefered only the last 30 days, but sometimes I have things in my inbox that are older than that and I 'need' my whole inbox.

My redfly and 1350 extended battery are coming tomorrow. Lets see if that convinces me to keep this phone. In the meantime, I remain confused. Thanks again for your continued dialogue.

Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    You're totally right about the dedicated delete key. It's both a blessing and a curse, and I can't yet decide which. I love the fact that it's so easy to delete things, but I hit it by mistake from time to time also. I believe there is an option to confirm deletes from the message list view; if you're accidentally deleting things you've turned that option off (like I did). Sort of a pain, but you might turn it on again until you're a bit more used to WM6' dedicated delete key, then you can turn it off again.

That said, when I accidentally delete something, I can find it in the deleted items folder for a little while (if you catch it right away it's no problem).

No way of altering the button that I'm aware of.

I bet you'll love the redfly; it's pretty amazing. One great thing about the redfly is that if you decide the 800w isn't for you, you can try another WM device and the Redfly may work with it (check their list of supported devices). It even works with my old Verizon XV6700, even though it's not "officially" supported.

I'm waiting for a replacement 1350 battery; my first one had a very high discharge rate (50% after 4 hours in standby). To Seidio's credit, they're replacing it, and I used their extended battery for my 700wx with great success.

LOL we have some of the same device history. I still have my Rex, that was the coolest little PDA ever.
    Last edited by haus; 11/06/2008 at 08:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Do you guys know when the next version of activesync is coming out? My 2 biggest problems are: 1) notes donít sync. 2) reminder dismissals donít syc