1.    #1  
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm conducting research for a project I'm working on. We are developing a mobile site for smartphones and hope to make pdfs available for our users but need some information.

1. Can pdfs be viewed natively or at least with the 800w's bundled software? Basically, out of the box without having to install 3rd party software.

2. Can pdfs be saved from a web page to your memory card?

3. Are pdfs formatted for the small screen preferable to normally-formatted pdfs which may require both vertical & horizontal scrolling?

Any replies would be most appreciated and welcome including anything else you want to add. Thanks in advance!

Carlito
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito View Post
    1. Can pdfs be viewed natively or at least with the 800w's bundled software? Basically, out of the box without having to install 3rd party software.
    The 700wx and 800w both had native PDF viewers (Picsel).

I hated it on both of them, but it does work.

2. Can pdfs be saved from a web page to your memory card?
    You have to save the PDF to your device (internal storage memory) or memory card in order to view it.

3. Are pdfs formatted for the small screen preferable to normally-formatted pdfs which may require both vertical & horizontal scrolling?
    I strongly dislike PDF's on my mobile device. Since they don't reformat for the small screen, they're difficult to read and require tons of scrolling.

Now, when I use my Redfly that's a different story. I have read quite a few PDF ebooks, but only when I can read them on my Redfly.

Other e-books (Mobipocket or Microsoft Reader format) I feel quite comfortable reading them on either my mobile screen or my Redfly.
    Carlito have you checked adobe's users groups? there are acrobat plugins and templates that format for specific screen size.

I think ebag333 relating of frustration at dealing with PDFs generally is on the mark and his observations accurate, but that maybe because he is getting them formatted for full screens.

I think you want to get to some adobe acrobat forums
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the feedback, folks.

I'm conducting this research with the hopes of steering the client away from serving up pdfs to mobile users in favor of html-formatted content specifically for handheld devices. This supports my case. I'm of the opinion that because of their very nature, pdfs don't belong on handheld devices.
    Thanks for the feedback, folks.

I'm conducting this research with the hopes of steering the client away from serving up pdfs to mobile users in favor of html-formatted content specifically for handheld devices. This supports my case. I'm of the opinion that because of their very nature, pdfs don't belong on handheld devices.
    Yep, I agree. PDF reading is just a backup, not a primary browsing method.
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
    The new Adobe Reader is very nice. It has a reflow feature, so that you can read it without horizontal scrolling on the small screen, and is great on the Redfly.

That being said, html formatted content is still preferable to pdf.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G