1.    #1  
    As an 800w user which bought it during the first week of its release, reading the threads over there are just as if it was 800w release week all over again. Same battery issues, same lockup issues, same complaints about the sluggishness of WinMo 6.1. But here is the deal:

I really like my 800w. I like its form factor and keyboard considering the size. I do not like its battery life and the fact that some times when I get home from work I have to rush to charge it or carry an ac adapter with me in the car. HOWEVER, I am still going to pick up a Touch Pro also because I like the idea of having a slightly larger screen and a higher resolution screen also.

I think its funny how much we all ranted about "I CANT BELIEVE PALM WOULD DO THIS" when a company like HTC released the touch pro with similar issues.... Perhaps HTC had more hands in the 800w than we thought? Or maybe they are secretly one company.
    Yea and the Treo Pro owners are not all happy either.

It's like this with every new device release. Overwhelming optimism before release and complaints after release. If you look at some of the earliest posts in this Treo 800w forum, you'd never expect the post release response.

But still, overall in general market terms, the Touch Pro trumps the 800w, although we prefer the 800w.

And I wonder if the talk about Touch Pro performance issues is really the same ClearType setting that is on by default in the Treo Pro, but off by default in the 800w? There needs to be benchmark testing with as many settings as can be made the same on all the devices. I think then the newer devices (Treo Pro and Touch Pro) would prove faster.
  3.    #3  
    I remember seeing a benchmark test comparing the treo pro, touch pro, and 800w.... Touch was fastest, 800w next, and then the treo pro last. Not by much, but still. Can't recall where I read that article.

There is a thread from a touch pro owner asking how to turn his screen on during a call; it turns off. Again, I laugh....We wanted to find ways to turn our screen OFF during a call to save battery life.

Another thing to think about is how much an 800w user may continue to be screwed by aftermarket (or even palm) support considering the popularity the Touch Pro is already getting.
    I think a lot of it has to with the hype and anticipation leading up to a new phones release. I know I day dream about how wonderful the new xxxxxx will be and can't wait till its released cuz it'll fix all my problems, ha! Then it comes out and we find all the details that we didn't know about and its kind of a bummer. But, half the fun for me owning these devices is customizing them to exactly what I want, eventhough there are a few things we can't do to make 'em better (gps, battery, ect...)
    Quote Originally Posted by slopokdave
    Another thing to think about is how much an 800w user may continue to be screwed by aftermarket (or even palm) support considering the popularity the Touch Pro is already getting.
    I agree. When is that 3.5mm adapter coming...ah never now that the Pro is coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by slopokdave View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    I agree. When is that 3.5mm adapter coming...ah never now that the Pro is coming.
    Just wanted to pile on and say I agree also. And even our resale efforts are lowering in terms of resale price when we move on to something else.

Given how Palm in my opinion has gone lax on 800w support (GPS issues they've not handled well in my opinion and seems they could care less about the 3.5mm jack concerns, they've not made any adapter), I'm really hoping somebody comes with a good future device with WM and a front keyboard. Personally speaking, I'd rather not buy another Palm device.

I went from Palm Pro -> Visor Prism -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 800w and I think my road with anything associated with the term "Palm" is going to end with the 800w. Well at least I'd like it to, if someone else comes with what I desire in a future device.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    And even our resale efforts are lowering in terms of resale price when we move on to something else.
    A greater and greater percentage of the features on these devices are provder not network dependent, so with a lot of them you may not even want to sell them after you move on.

having a device that does wifi browsing, wifi email, synced contacts and calender, camera, mp3 playback, video playback, and GPS has a serious amount of residual value to the customer after it is retired from the mobile phone network. You can throw it in your car glovebox (911 will still work in fact!), throw it in your suitcase when going overseas, or give it to your kids liek we do with our old laptops.

With Wifi and GPS especially, customers can and would expect substantial residual value even without reselling it when it is replaced.