1.    #1  
    Okay, I'm the new owner of an 800W. I come from a Palm OS, having used the Treo 650 over the past three years.

I've tried to read in these Forums to learn what I can. They're quite helpful. But much of the information is hidden in large threads and I'm not sure what's outdated.

First, what I've done is installed Skyfire, the Palm battery download and the Palm bluetooth download.

Second, I've backed up the device.

Third, I don't want to add tons of applications and programs right away, but I have a few questions and interests:

1. My system syncs with a USB cable. My desktop uses Outlook and I heavily use the Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Notes. It seems that the device had no problem syncing the Calendar, Contacts and Tasks. All set on that. But the Notes are not syncing and I can't figure this out. Help????

2. I'm looking for an Expense program. Any suggestions?

3. These Forums talk a lot about Kinoma and Pocket Tunes. I am leaning toward Kinoma, but I'm also wondering what it will do for me above and beyond what the device already does without it.

4. I've seen a number of people rave about Treo Alert. Again, I'm wondering what it will do for me above and beyond what the device already does without it.

5. Finally, I'm not interested in loading the device up with every application I can possibly find. But I'm interested in knowing what, at this point in time, most think are essential programs/applications.

I know many of these things are covered to varying degrees in other threads. But with the passage of time and the length of some other threads, I'd really appreciate the help on these topics. Thank you.
    5. Get a simple soft-restart program, and opera mobile (java). Those are the only two apps I really need on a new phone. Everything else just slows the phone down.
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelp68 View Post
    First, what I've done is installed Skyfire, the Palm battery download and the Palm bluetooth download.
    The first thing you should do is install RealVGA.

1. My system syncs with a USB cable. My desktop uses Outlook and I heavily use the Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Notes. It seems that the device had no problem syncing the Calendar, Contacts and Tasks. All set on that. But the Notes are not syncing and I can't figure this out. Help????
    The generic Notes program, or One Note Mobile? You can synch One Note Mobile, I don't believe you can with Notes.

2. I'm looking for an Expense program. Any suggestions?
    Search is your friend.

http://www.wmexperts.com/reviews/sof...b_finance.html
    http://www.wmexperts.com/reviews/sof...nce_diary.html
    http://www.wmexperts.com/reviews/sof...plashdata.html

5. Finally, I'm not interested in loading the device up with every application I can possibly find. But I'm interested in knowing what, at this point in time, most think are essential programs/applications.
    Back up your device often and feel free to experiment with different apps. What I consider essential you will not. (An e-book reader--actually several--is essential to me.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    T
    The generic Notes program, or One Note Mobile? You can synch One Note Mobile, I don't believe you can with Notes.

Outlook notes sure does sync via cable, but not OTA. One Note Mobile is the same. But without the OP stating what is happening, I'm not even going to speculate on what is wrong.
    Cant you just read the short Treo Alert thread??? Hahaha j/k

Treo Alert will notify you of new messages, appointments etc by using the LED. The LED dos not play a role in notifications out of the box.

Treo alert also does repeat notifications, vibrate chirps, etc.

It also will show weather on the carrier plugin and do much much more.

-Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky View Post
    Outlook notes sure does sync via cable, but not OTA. One Note Mobile is the same. But without the OP stating what is happening, I'm not even going to speculate on what is wrong.
    I saw a couple other references in other threads to the issue with Outlook Notes. So now I at least know it's just not me....

What happens when a USB sync is in progress is that the check mark appears next to each Outlook category (i.e., Calendar or Contacts) after that category completes a successful sync. But while the sync is in progress and it gets to the Notes, it instead indicates that there is a problem. It then tries to reconcile. In the end, it moved over my Notes from my desktop into the handheld all spread out in My Documents. There is no separate Notes section, let alone the sub-categories for organization. It also seemed to move over the Notes, or copy them, with the File Transfer category, too.

Every subsequent sync does the same thing.

I have quite a bit of necessary information I routinely refer to in those Notes, so it's important to me. I'm wondering what others have done to deal with this.
    In the end, it moved over my Notes from my desktop into the handheld all spread out in My Documents. There is no separate Notes section, let alone the sub-categories for organization. It also seemed to move over the Notes, or copy them, with the File Transfer category, too.
    This is the way that Notes functions.
    I saw a couple other references in other threads to the issue with Outlook Notes. So now I at least know it's just not me....
    Every subsequent sync does the same thing.

I have quite a bit of necessary information I routinely refer to in those Notes, so it's important to me. I'm wondering what others have done to deal with this.
    I have notes syncing perfectly and I even have them categorized. This is what I did.

Starting from scratch
    -I checked the check box on the active sync desktop indicating that I want it to sync my notes and waited for the sync to complete.
    -Next I disconnected the Treo from the computer
    -Next on the Treo I made a folder inside MyDocuments called "Notes"
    -I moved all the notes into that folder.
    -Next inside the Notes folder I made sub folders for categories such as "Personal" "Business" and so on.
    -On the Treo I moved the appropriate notes into these folders.
    -Now it is time to sync again.
    -After I sync then in Outlook on the desktop the notes are all automatically renamed with the folder structure as part of the name. For example the note titled "Christmas List 2008" was changed to "Notes\Personal\Christmas List 2008"
    -This allows the notes to be sorted by category on the desktop as well as the Treo even though no Outlook categories are really assigned on the desktop.

The only minor downside is when I open the notes application on the Treo it does not show my list of notes. The work around is just to open File Explorer and click on the note I want to read or edit. It will then sync back to the desktop just the way you would expect it to. This has been working for me for months now and I sync to 2 different PC's.

Hope it helps
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  9.    #9  
    RC, I'll give that a try. Thank you.
    These Forums talk a lot about Kinoma and Pocket Tunes. I am leaning toward Kinoma, but I'm also wondering what it will do for me above and beyond what the device already does without it.
    If you want to use your phone to play media, you'll quickly find that Windows Mobile has pretty anemic media functionality.

With Kinoma Play, your phone is capable of some incredible stuff. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "I wish my iPhone could do that."

For a 50,000-foot view, check out the short videos at http://vimeo.com/KinomaPlay.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks