Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys.

First, thanks to ALL OF YOU for the great hacks, reg edits, etc, especially Malatesta

Second, I am the business manager of a company who uses only Treo's, so all of us are using the Treo 800w's right now. I called Sprint this morning at 10:15 am eastern and was on the phone with Sprint Premier Care for business and they first offered to upgrade our Treo's to the Treo Pro IMMEDIATLY. My response was, "Let's do this". The rep then said "Hold on". After a minute she came back on and told me the Treo Pro hasn't been released yet but WILL be this month and that as soon as it is, they will call back to sell us the Treo Pro. I asked her to confirm for me that indeed the Treo pro will be released by Sprint and will be coming out this month. She responded, "yes, I can confirm that is the case" and asked me to hold once more to get an exact date for me this month. I waited another minute and she came back on and told me that her supervisor didn't know the exact date but it is definetly set for release this month)

They are so nice to us because we have 130 lines of service with them with Treo 800w's and this does not include the wireless cards we have from them for our laptops, which is an additional 130 lines of service.

So, I would say all the hints we have been receiving that Sprint is about to release the Treo Pro are definetly confirmed in my book and is going to be released this month.
    I'm just glad everyone will have options, so everyone is happy and not feeling they need to find another carrier. So everyone who wants a Treo Pro can get one. And the Touch Pro is already out, for those who want that on Sprint. I prefer the 800w, but I'm glad everyone will have options with Sprint.
    If you have 130 800w's, are you using them in place of the 130 cards you mention? Have you tried the 800w in place of the EvDO cell cards? If so what are your findings?

Quote Originally Posted by elegantevent-ee View Post
    Hey guys.

First, thanks to ALL OF YOU for the great hacks, reg edits, etc, especially Malatesta

Second, I am the business manager of a company who uses only Treo's, so all of us are using the Treo 800w's right now. I called Sprint this morning at 10:15 am eastern and was on the phone with Sprint Premier Care for business and they first offered to upgrade our Treo's to the Treo Pro IMMEDIATLY. My response was, "Let's do this". The rep then said "Hold on". After a minute she came back on and told me the Treo Pro hasn't been released yet but WILL be this month and that as soon as it is, they will call back to sell us the Treo Pro. I asked her to confirm for me that indeed the Treo pro will be released by Sprint and will be coming out this month. She responded, "yes, I can confirm that is the case" and asked me to hold once more to get an exact date for me this month. I waited another minute and she came back on and told me that her supervisor didn't know the exact date but it is definetly set for release this month)

They are so nice to us because we have 130 lines of service with them with Treo 800w's and this does not include the wireless cards we have from them for our laptops, which is an additional 130 lines of service.

So, I would say all the hints we have been receiving that Sprint is about to release the Treo Pro are definetly confirmed in my book and is going to be released this month.
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    well now i will have to go to a sprint store to see if i like the keyboard. i have a funny feeling that i wont though. i like my smiley face keyboard
    I like the Treo Pro flat screen. Easier to wipe it clean without the gunk accumulating along the edges.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    If you have 130 800w's, are you using them in place of the 130 cards you mention? Have you tried the 800w in place of the EvDO cell cards? If so what are your findings?
    Well, we are using the 800's not only for its business applications but also because of its gps capabilities which we use to track our employees who are out in the field, also for its wifi capabilities which definetly comes in handy when there is not a strong cell single and there is a wifi available, and we also use it as a POS system when needed by accsessing our POS network from the phone and taking the info there, very convienent I must say. But, no, we are not using the 800w's in place of the cards. There are still some applications that require us to have to use the cards on our laptops while out in the field which make the cards a necessary evil. While the phone works wonderfully as a modum, thanks to the reg hack, we cant get the add on on our phone plan due to unlimited minutes, etc to just replace the cards, which we would gladly do because the phone works beautifully as a modem. We are hoping Sprint changes this or adds it on so we can just add it to our plan and be done with the cards. We are on month to month now with the cards with Sprint and we refuse to sign another contract because we believe that an option to use the Treo as a modem will eventually be added on, which frustrates Sprint because they keep throwing different deals at us to get us to re-sign and we wont budge.

Btw, I am the only one who has tried the reg hack for phone as a modem and I loved it. Like alot of you out there, if they would let us buy the darn plan to add on to our current one, we would buy it!! However, i did the reg hack for test purposes only to see if it actually works and of course, it does. Because we already have the wireless cards and pay for them, no reason to use the hack, besides, if all started to use the hack and stopped using the cards and told Sprint we were not interested in continuing our contract, they would quickly find out why, I dare say, and we are hardworking and honest people, so we will wait for an add-on or something that better suits our needs.

This being said, is the Treo Pro (Treo 850e) really that much better than what we already have other than the fact it can take a 32 gig card and has a REAL stylus? Regardless, being able to use a 32 gig card would be a great benefit to us. I can also confirm that indeed the Treo 800w DOES read the 16gb card, we are using them, even though Palm says the Treo 800w only supports up to 8gb.
    subscribing...
    I really dont see a reason for 800w users to change to the Treo Pro, unless they want that headphone jack. Gotta love 800's keyboard.
    There are a few people having problems with their 800's. They should maybe think about switching (although, I can't help but think they will have similar problems with the Treo Pro). I like the keyboard on the 800 over the Treo Pro. I also like the feel of the 800 over the Pro. I rarely listen to music on my Treo and to date, I have never been anywhere that did not have Sprint service so the GPS is a non issue for me.

My 800 has been very dependable. Yes, I could handle a little better battery life. But, I have that under control with chargers and extra battery on days I travel.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Although I prefer the Treo 800w, the Treo Pro tops the 800w in several areas and it makes perfect sense if someone desires to switch up for those reasons:

• Processor Qualcomm® MSM7201 400MHz is better than MSM6800A TI ARM1136 OMAP2430 running at 333MHz
    • A flush touch screen (for those who want that of course)
    • Camera 2.0 megapixels with up to 8x digital zoom and video capture is better than 2.0 megapixels (1600x1200) with 2x digital zoom and video capture (although digital zoom is usually horrible, so this does not mean much)
    • Battery Removable, rechargeable 1500mAh lithium-ion; Up to 5.0 hours talk time and up to 250 hours standby is better than emovable 1150 mAh lithium-ion; up to 4.5 hours talk time or up to 200 hours standby time (Not much, but better. It looks like not even the Treo Pro will last a full day of heavy usage without needing mid-day charge time.)
    • Audio 3.5mm stereo headset jack is better than none
    • Software on device Windows Live™ Messenger is better than not having it.
    • True Stand Alone GPS and aGPS is better than being marketed a device that was claimed to do both, but is not!
    • HTC launcher for wireless connection management.
    • Palm and 3rd party vendors will put more overall energy into catering to the Treo Pro, because it will have a way larger base of users and it's newer.
    • Treo Pro has a transflective color TFT touchscreen, that's simply better than the non-TFT 800w screen.

Palm has a comparison sheet of there own here.
    This being said, is the Treo Pro (Treo 850e) really that much better than what we already have other than the fact it can take a 32 gig card and has a REAL stylus? Regardless, being able to use a 32 gig card would be a great benefit to us. I can also confirm that indeed the Treo 800w DOES read the 16gb card, we are using them, even though Palm says the Treo 800w only supports up to 8gb.
    I see no reason why a 32 GB card would not work in the 800w. The drivers *SHOULD* support it.

Now cards larger than 32 may be a problem.....
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Although I prefer the Treo 800w, the Treo Pro tops the 800w in several areas and it makes perfect sense if someone desires to switch up for those reasons:
    Few Corrections...
    Processor Qualcomm® MSM7201 400MHz is better than MSM6800A TI ARM1136 OMAP2430 running at 333MHz
    Considering most reports claim the Treo Pro runs slower than the 800w, throwing in that 67mhz is really not much of a difference and finally not all processors are the same (in terms of architecture), this is really not relative.

Who here has complained that the 800w is not only fast, but probably one of the fastest (in real world use) WM devices? In fact, if the Pro is missing the 800w's core-OS optimizations (which makes it so zippy at 333mhz), I will be disappointed.
    Camera 2.0 megapixels with up to 8x digital zoom and video capture is better than 2.0 megapixels (1600x1200) with 2x digital zoom and video capture (although digital zoom is usually horrible, so this does not mean much)
    It is best to not make a "specifications war" between devices.

The Treo Pro could have 16x digital zoom and it wouldn't change the fact that it still takes terrible, under-exposed pictures and is slow to run.

HTC generally fails when it comes to cameras, regardless of the specs. I would never get my hopes up with "cameras" and "HTC" together on any device.
    Software on device Windows Live™ Messenger is better than not having it.
    This is up to the carrier to decide as it is one of the "options" to include in your WM build (same with Office, Remote Desktop, VOIP, etc.)

I also guess you never noticed that your 800w already has Windows Live™ Messenger built in (look under Programs --> Live)and in fact you have a second method to Live Messenger via Sprint's IM application?
    True Stand Alone GPS and aGPS is better than being marketed a device that was claimed to do both, but is not!
    True.

Lets just hope that HTC can get their standalone system to work better e.g. the lag issues with Sprint's Diamond and Touch Pro or the long wait when using Live Search.

If I get a device with no aGPS (by default & not requiring me to "hack" it), laggy GPS and I have to "prime it" with Google Maps before using Live Search...I'll be very upset, especially since my aGPS works flawlessly for me now.
    HTC launcher for wireless connection management.
    This is kind of odd as we have fairly nice and direct access already to wireless connection management. In fact, without Palm's Today Screen plugins, you won't have easy, direct and fast access via Menu --> Wireless Manager. Granted, HTCs is "prettier" though.
    Treo Pro has a transflective color TFT touchscreen, that's simply better than the non-TFT 800w screen.
    Incorrect.

The 800w has a TFT touchscreen as well. In fact these are pretty standard.

I'm getting the impression you are copy and pasting specs without knowing what they even are
    Hey guys.

Second, I am the business manager of a company who uses only Treo's, so all of us are using the Treo 800w's right now. I called Sprint this morning at 10:15 am eastern and was on the phone with Sprint Premier Care for business and they first offered to upgrade our Treo's to the Treo Pro IMMEDIATLY. My response was, "Let's do this". The rep then said "Hold on". After a minute she came back on and told me the Treo Pro hasn't been released yet but WILL be this month ...
    While this sounds promising, here are my thoughts:
    • Sprint is probably confusing the Treo Pro with the Touch Pro which launches, coicidently, this month (telesales this weekend, stores later this month)
    • Heck, even I confuse Touch and Treo Pro discussions and so haven't other users here
    • We'll see more info leaked before the release like marketing info, Sprint slides, manuals, FCC docs, tester blurry shots, etc.
    • I'm hearing Q1 2009 for the launch of the Treo Pro
    • It takes about 3-6 months for GSM to CDMA conversion, testing and approval

Still, having said that...Sprint is becoming very aggressive in releasing devices, so I suppose anything is possible. But I don't have high hopes for a Nov release. January? Possibly.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 11/04/2008 at 06:40 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    The Pro camera is not the same as the 800?
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I really dont see a reason for 800w users to change to the Treo Pro, unless they want that headphone jack. Gotta love 800's keyboard.
    I have not seen the CDMA version...

The keyboard may be different.. hopefully... and I really hope it is..

Then, I would probably upgrade...
    I make no claims of being perfect. Malatesta, I know you desire to play up the 800w as much as possible, but bottom line is, neither the facts or the masses are with you. See the forms that compare Treos to other devices, such as the latest here on these forums: Treo Pro vs Samsung Epix. And guess what, all comparisons speaking of a new Treo will feature talk about the Treo Pro, not the 800w. And it's not because the Treo Pro just came, out. The Treo Pro really is a superior device overall in many respects.

Some claim the Treo Pro runs slower, but do you have some actual benchmark test results?

The Treo Pro camera is better. More zoom is better than less.

I don't use the Messenger much, the Treo 800w has Windows Live™ Messenger, great. There's still plenty it does not have. And there's no reason to act like the devices are equal when they are not.

Most using the Treo Pro find the standalone GPS and aGPS runs well for them. And it's likely anyone who is sick of the Treo 800w's defective GPS can swap to another device with GPS that works as advertised, with a proper BBB complaint made to the BBB's San Jose, CA office.

You might disagree, but many find the HTC wireless manager to be superior and you can deny it all you wish, but I think it's a better wireless manager AND the Treo Pro has all the top bar icons too. The Treo Pro has a single "Airplane Mode" option, not on the 800w.

The screens are TFT, but many prefer the flush screen.

And the Treo Pro does not even require an installation CD for desktop setup!
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    The Pro camera is not the same as the 800?
    The cameras on both devices are 2 megapixels, but the Treo Pro has up to 8x digital zoom. Digital zoom is usually not so hot, but it's well enough better than 2x digital zoom.

Strictly from a hardware standpoint, it may be the same camera and I'm sure banter could be made of claiming the 800w could be upgraded via software to do 8x digital zoom. But the bottom line is that it does not now and we have no affirmation it ever will.
    The cameras on both devices are 2 megapixels, but the Treo Pro has up to 8x digital zoom. Digital zoom is usually not so hot, but it's well enough better than 2x digital zoom.

Strictly from a hardware standpoint, it may be the same camera and I'm sure banter could be made of claiming the 800w could be upgraded via software to do 8x digital zoom. But the bottom line is that it does not now and we have no affirmation it ever will.
    Have you ever *TRIED* taking a picture with that zoom?

Maybe you have hands that are made of steel, but I do not.

The camera's in *ALL* mobile phones are extremely sensitive to movement, and the slightest movement will blur the photo.

Until Palm offer's a monopod or tripod adapter, having more than a 2x zoom will be largely a novelty. (And just as a comparison, I never use a *pod for my Nikon D50 D-SLR, even when fully zoomed in.)

A camera in a phone simply has too poor a lens (along with most of the rest of it) to take any sort of picture I would consider "decent". It's useful in a pinch, but if I need any sort of a decent picture I ditch my phone and pick up my D-SLR.

And I'm usually the one on the other side of the equation, who's telling people to ditch their laptops/MP3 player/Kindle/etc for a Treo.
    Ebag333, you've got shaky hands, I don't. We've seen VibrantRedGT's photos, I think he's got a steady hand too. I have already mentioned repeatedly, that digital zoom is not so great. However, it is an improvement. For us with steady hands, we do stand the chance to get a better shot out of it at times. So 8x digital zoom trumps 2x digital zoom.
    Ebag333, you've got shaky hands, I don't. We've seen VibrantRedGT's photos, I think he's got a steady hand too. I have already mentioned repeatedly, that digital zoom is not so great. However, it is an improvement. For us with steady hands, we do stand the chance to get a better shot out of it at times. So 8x digital zoom trumps 2x digital zoom.
    I never said I had shaky hands. I don't.

But everyone's hands move, and even a few millimeters of movement at the wrong moment is enough to ruin the picture (to me). I've had pictures turn out blurry using 2X zoom because of vibration through whatever surface I'm resting on at the wrong time.

While I'm not a professional photographer, I didn't drop nearly a grand on a camera because I wanted to take the sort of pics that you take with a camera phone. I'm quite well versed in the basics of digital photography, including why zoom and megapixels are quite overrated.
    I make no claims of being perfect. Malatesta, I know you desire to play up the 800w as much as possible, but bottom line is, neither the facts or the masses are with you. See the forms that compare Treos to other devices, such as the latest here on these forums: Treo Pro vs Samsung Epix. And guess what, all comparisons speaking of a new Treo will feature talk about the Treo Pro, not the 800w. And it's not because the Treo Pro just came, out. The Treo Pro really is a superior device overall in many respects.

Some claim the Treo Pro runs slower, but do you have some actual benchmark test results?

The Treo Pro camera is better. More zoom is better than less.

I don't use the Messenger much, the Treo 800w has Windows Live™ Messenger, great. There's still plenty it does not have. And there's no reason to act like the devices are equal when they are not.

Most using the Treo Pro find the standalone GPS and aGPS runs well for them. And it's likely anyone who is sick of the Treo 800w's defective GPS can swap to another device with GPS that works as advertised, with a proper BBB complaint made to the BBB's San Jose, CA office.

You might disagree, but many find the HTC wireless manager to be superior and you can deny it all you wish, but I think it's a better wireless manager AND the Treo Pro has all the top bar icons too. The Treo Pro has a single "Airplane Mode" option, not on the 800w.

The screens are TFT, but many prefer the flush screen.

And the Treo Pro does not even require an installation CD for desktop setup!
    Mal has a hard-on for Palm. Knowing HTC had their hands in this he must bash it. If Palm made it he would be on his knees.

The Pro is a better device in a few simple ways. Throw looks out since that is personal taste. It has the audio jack we all wish the 800 had. We can't charge our phones while using the headset. Today I listened to music until the battery was almost dead. Regardless of the BT workaround the 800 should have had the jack. Next in line is GPS that can actually work on its own. Not going further on this, done to death. I do like the flush screen. I am always pulling crap out of my screens corners all the time. Who can forget about battery life. HTC must have laughed at Palm for putting a 1150mAH battery in the 800. HTC showed Palm how to do it and put a 1500mAH in the Pro which was a fantastic move.

With the Pro you lose soft keys and the standard Treo keyboard we all love. I would trade both of these for the Pro battery life. I can adapt to any keyboard. It has never been a deal breaker for me.

So I would trade my 800 for the Pro in a heartbeat. My contract is up December 1st and have the rebate and leverage. I might reup for the Pro.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast