Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    I am not nearly as knowledgable about WM devices or tech issues in general as many of you on this forum. I come here to learn about new software, tips/tricks to get the most out of existing software/hardware, hear stories/rumours about new devices and share what things I have learned with others seeking help. I assume (yes I know what happens when you "assume") that a majority of people here are here for the same reasons.

What I do NOT come here for is to see so many threads become arguments over nitpicking things people say. Especially when those things are mostly opinion. Ebagg & Mal: I have (and pretty-much everyone else here has) the utmost respect for your knowledge and the many things you bring to this community but it seems for some reason that you two go out of your way to find things to attack darnell on (although it does happen to others, he seems to be a "favorite"). I'm sure there is a history here that I am not aware of and it may very well be a "chicken-or-the-egg" sort of thing but that does not take away from the thought that this nitpicking and incessent arguing is harming what is otherwise a stellar reputation.

I realize that no one asked for my opinion and you both (and several others maybe) can flame away at my statements but realize that I (and I would not be surprised to hear/read others as well) are finding it more and more difficult to come here when the very reason we do gets pushed into the back seat to make way for arguments about such nit-picky things as whether or not 8x zoom is better than 2x zoom(example). It has come to a point where i can see a thread title and look at the last post; if it says "darnell" I can pretty accurately name one of the two of you as the next post. Now this is an honest question and not baiting(as I said, i am not nearly as knowledgable about these things): would that be considered "trolling"?

Just my $0.02.
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Tli415 - Thank you for your opinion, but I've well known the difference between optical and digital zoom.

Aero - Thank you for your opinion. There are benefits to having digital zoom. And there are cases where I've been able to make good use of it. Focusing on a certain area for a shot and not wanting to have to deal with photo editing later. I've repeatedly made clear digital zoom is not much, I know full well that optical zoom is the real deal, but I have found having digital zoom to be at times a real benefit. Of course if it's a choice between optical and digital, we'd all take optical without question, but having 8X digital zoom offers more benefit than 2x digital zoom.

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post

What I see is Darnell giving a list of differences in response to multiple incorrect posts around here stating there are one or two differences. What people are missing is that there are many differences and many improvements. to focus on the single difference important to one person and attack Darnell is off the mark.

If standalone GPS is unimportant to you, fine, but don't make judgments on behalf of others and say it is important to only a niche. If digital zoom, which does objectively give value is unimportant to you don't a say it does nothing.
    If better battery life in a smaller case is unimportant, ditto. Ditto with wired headphone jack adn all the other improvements and added features.
    Well at least somebody understands what I'm saying.

And by the way Aero, the video camera does not allow for the use of zoom. The digital zoom can only be used for still pics .
  3. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Aero and Darnell win on the camera. I was on the other side when I started, but Aero convinced me.

As for the rest, I'm sticking with my 800. I don't care about any of the differences. My extended battery covers the only issue I had with the 800 and I'm not sure they're going to be able to pull off a hump on the pro due to the new battery design.
    Quote Originally Posted by ehehat View Post
    I am not nearly as knowledgable about WM devices or tech issues in general as many of you on this forum. I come here to learn about new software, tips/tricks to get the most out of existing software/hardware, hear stories/rumours about new devices and share what things I have learned with others seeking help. I assume (yes I know what happens when you "assume") that a majority of people here are here for the same reasons.

What I do NOT come here for is to see so many threads become arguments over nitpicking things people say. Especially when those things are mostly opinion. Ebagg & Mal: I have (and pretty-much everyone else here has) the utmost respect for your knowledge and the many things you bring to this community but it seems for some reason that you two go out of your way to find things to attack darnell on (although it does happen to others, he seems to be a "favorite"). I'm sure there is a history here that I am not aware of and it may very well be a "chicken-or-the-egg" sort of thing but that does not take away from the thought that this nitpicking and incessent arguing is harming what is otherwise a stellar reputation.

I realize that no one asked for my opinion and you both (and several others maybe) can flame away at my statements but realize that I (and I would not be surprised to hear/read others as well) are finding it more and more difficult to come here when the very reason we do gets pushed into the back seat to make way for arguments about such nit-picky things as whether or not 8x zoom is better than 2x zoom(example). It has come to a point where i can see a thread title and look at the last post; if it says "darnell" I can pretty accurately name one of the two of you as the next post. Now this is an honest question and not baiting(as I said, i am not nearly as knowledgable about these things): would that be considered "trolling"?

Just my $0.02.
    Thank you for offering your opinion ehehat.

In my own opinion, as I've mentioned before, this had a real starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Mal, this went way beyond you correcting if I've made an error a long, long time ago. Right around the time I noted how horrible Palm has been in dealing with the GPS issue, you (and Ebag333) suddenly found it necessary to find me often when I speak here.
    I could be wrong, but it seems if you stand up sternly against Malatesta and/or Ebag333 on a matter. There is a residual effect, that never seems to end. And it's not just me. Aero, has been getting it and he was very much on the GPS issue. VibrantRedGT has been getting it and he's been a major critic of the 800w. I once was a bit hostile to VibrantRedGT myself, but in time he and I got along. And its in part because we have no problem admitting certain issues with the device (or certain software) without sugar coating. Nsxprime is one many of us have had heated discussions with at some point, but it would not be fair to mention others and not mention him. And I think Aero and Nsxprime are only getting less in response from Mal and Ebag now, because one or both of them are probably on Mal and/or Ebag's ignore list.

I must say, I would not mind being on the ignore list of Mal and Ebag. If my thoughts are such an issue for them, it would be better for the community if they left me ignored.
    OK..What is the deal???????

I called Sprint and Palm today. They said that there is no CMDA version of the Treo Pro in existance. They said that the 800W IS the only phone for Sprint.

They also said that there is not that much difference between the 800W and the Pro. (processor, memory, form factor)

Is the Pro coming out on Sprint or No?

Thanks
    Triple xXx - They would rather you buy something TODAY. So it's not like they're going to tell you to wait a while for something else .

The people who have said there is a Treo Pro coming are people who were disgruntled after owing an 800w and have been told the Treo Pro is coming, to keep them with Sprint, or people who know managers within Sprint and such.

Give it time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx View Post
    OK..What is the deal???????

I called Sprint and Palm today. They said that there is no CMDA version of the Treo Pro in existance. They said that the 800W IS the only phone for Sprint.

They also said that there is not that much difference between the 800W and the Pro. (processor, memory, form factor)

Is the Pro coming out on Sprint or No?

Thanks
    Palm is famous for holding it's cards close to the chest, as to what devices are being released, when, and with what carrier.

No one you talk to will really know any details on it. Likely anyone you can reach won't be able to say anything on it until the day it hits the streets.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Triple xXx - They would rather you buy something TODAY. So it's not like they're going to tell you to wait a while for something else .
    Spot on. The only way to get information from Sprint on unannounced devices is to ask a bunch of their employees and assess for consistency. If you ask most Sprint reps about the Treo Pro, they'll immediately start thinking you're talking about already-announced (and hyped) Touch Pro. But I think there's enough circumstantial evidence to indicate that the Treo Pro is coming to Sprint.

The big X factor for me is whether or not the Treo Pro on Sprint will feature the 800w's optimizations.

The people who have said there is a Treo Pro coming are people who were disgruntled after owing an 800w and have been told the Treo Pro is coming, to keep them with Sprint, or people who know managers within Sprint and such.

Give it time.
    I love you! (joke)

Keep hope alive!!!! (LOL)
  10.    #50  
    Will be checking in on that today. Thanks for the tip )
    http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14330
    http://news.cens.com/cens/html/en/ne...ner_24450.html

Check this out!

Furthermore, Palm is planning to launch CDMA (code division multiple access) version of Treo Pro series phone in the future for CDMA telecom service providers, like Verizon, Wireless and Sprint. The phone will also be supplied by HTC.
    Last edited by Triple xXx; 11/05/2008 at 02:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx View Post
    http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14330
    http://news.cens.com/cens/html/en/ne...ner_24450.html

Check this out!

Furthermore, Palm is planning to launch CDMA (code division multiple access) version of Treo Pro series phone in the future for CDMA telecom service providers, like Verizon, Wireless and Sprint. The phone will also be supplied by HTC.
    Yea, we went over those when they came out in August . It's all in some old threads around here somewhere.
    Cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    The big X factor for me is whether or not the Treo Pro on Sprint will feature the 800w's optimizations.
    That's pretty unlikely. The Treo Pro is an HTC developed device with Palm's form factor and design.

It may be like the 750 where it had some of Palm's tweaks (such as threaded messaging) but lacks a lot of them.

I suspect that the CDMA version (assuming it surfaces) will be very similar to the GSM version. I certainly hope at the least they solve the GPS and general system lag issues for Sprint.
    Thank you for offering your opinion ehehat.

In my own opinion, as I've mentioned before, this had a real starting point.

I could be wrong, but it seems if you stand up sternly against Malatesta and/or Ebag333 on a matter. There is a residual effect, that never seems to end. And it's not just me. Aero, has been getting it and he was very much on the GPS issue. VibrantRedGT has been getting it and he's been a major critic of the 800w. I once was a bit hostile to VibrantRedGT myself, but in time he and I got along. And its in part because we have no problem admitting certain issues with the device (or certain software) without sugar coating. Nsxprime is one many of us have had heated discussions with at some point, but it would not be fair to mention others and not mention him. And I think Aero and Nsxprime are only getting less in response from Mal and Ebag now, because one or both of them are probably on Mal and/or Ebag's ignore list.

I must say, I would not mind being on the ignore list of Mal and Ebag. If my thoughts are such an issue for them, it would be better for the community if they left me ignored.
    Well put D. It is so annoying people on these boards find it so necessary to defend whatever device they currently have. The device is not perfect and we all know it but the fanboys continue to rave the opposite, oh and the fact HTC is involved with Pro gets on some nerves. Look Palm made their version and its called the 800. HTC has their version and it's called the Pro. God forbid HTC unit is a bit more solid (battery life, unassisted GPS, sexier look) than Palm's version. For many of us we are honest about our 800's. That honesty starts many threads which is what these boards are all about. Others jump in to defend the 800 like it's a child in danger. Its a phone people. Let's be honest, discuss the issues of our device and find ways to resolve them. Look which turn this thread took when Mal disputed D's acusations (sp ?) on the features vs. the Pro. Its the same in every thread he enters. All the GPS threads as well. Mal, you getting a kick back from Palm? Your the Mighty Mouse of the 800. "Here I come to save the day!" (This reference may be to old for some of the people on here). Give it a break. We can get more out of the forums if there were more honest people. There, I said my peace.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    That's pretty unlikely. The Treo Pro is an HTC developed device with Palm's form factor and design.

It may be like the 750 where it had some of Palm's tweaks (such as threaded messaging) but lacks a lot of them.

I suspect that the CDMA version (assuming it surfaces) will be very similar to the GSM version. I certainly hope at the least they solve the GPS and general system lag issues for Sprint.
    +1

Especially with how close the release dates are (if the rumours are true). I would expect the exact same device, just on a different network. Thats not to say I wouldnt LOVE the 800w keyboard & Soft-touch paint with Palms OS tweaks on the pro form factor!
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post

The folks in the Treo Pro forum may have found a means to optimize the Treo Pro's performance.

Interestingly enough, ClearType is off by default on the 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    HTC has their version and it's called the Pro.
    I hate to chime in here, but the Pro is still Palm. HTC is just the company they have building it. Palm didn't build the 800, it was contracted out. Much the same as Nike or Converse uses companies all over the world to make their items. The people who make them don't design them. I know they are using some HTC parts, but I doubt HTC designed the pro or they'd be paying for the use of Palm's name. That's not the case here I don't think. So I don't think it makes a difference who is building it but I think HTC is a great company to have picked to build it.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    Aero and Darnell win on the camera. I was on the other side when I started, but Aero convinced me.

As for the rest, I'm sticking with my 800. I don't care about any of the differences. My extended battery covers the only issue I had with the 800 and I'm not sure they're going to be able to pull off a hump on the pro due to the new battery design.
    Yes, Aero's explaination was very nice.

I just wanted to make the point that there is not much or almost no purpose in comparing camera quality between the 800w and the Treo Pro.
    Holy crap fellas, whats with all the Mal bashing? So what if he prefers Palm devices. His views between the two phones are pretty subjective and I have to say I agree.

Whats the difference between an 8x zoom built into the camera and cropping the pic after its been taken? Its essentially the same thing only the camera software is doing for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by vibrantredgt
    It has the audio jack we all wish the 800 had. We can't charge our phones while using the headset. Today I listened to music until the battery was almost dead.
    Palm does make an adapter for the 800w that has 2 micro usb slots so you can charge and use your headphones at the same time.
    Next in line is GPS that can actually work on its own. Not going further on this, done to death.
    I agree. And thank you for not going further.
    I do like the flush screen. I am always pulling crap out of my screens corners all the time.
    I like the flush screen too, but that doesn't make it better than the 800w's. I know you never said it did, but others seem to think because its flush its better. And where is all this junk coming from that you need to keep cleaning out? I've never had to do anything more than wipe the screen with my shirt after a call.
    HTC must have laughed at Palm for putting a 1150mAH battery in the 800. HTC showed Palm how to do it and put a 1500mAH in the Pro which was a fantastic move.
    They're probably still laughing about this. Just pathetic. Palm should have known better. But Seidio has an extended batter thats the same size, although we shouldn't have to resort to that option.
    With the Pro you lose soft keys and the standard Treo keyboard we all love. I would trade both of these for the Pro battery life. I can adapt to any keyboard. It has never been a deal breaker for me.
    Why trade both just for battery life when you can buy that and keep it in the same form factor? I used a Centro before my 800w and to me it is a deal breaker. That keyboard is so small I'd make too many mistakes when typing.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast