Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My GPS feature quit working over the weekend. Both Google Maps and GPS Today couldn't find the satellites. I soft reset then hard reset and still nothing. Finally talked to Palm Tech support and they claim that GPS will only work for 30 days--on a free trial with TeleNav unless you subcribe, even if you don't use their software. They claim that TeleNav manages the GPS and that the free trial is up even though I didn't sign up for it. In other words I had it even though I didn't know it.

They also claim that you have to have cell service for the GPS to work. I know there was another thread about what aGPS vs. GPS and whether you needed to purchase anything to make this work. Well the answer is yes you do--data alone won't do it.

The Palm rep claimed that all PPC devices have this same limitation.

So unless somebody can come up with some type of registry edit or other work around all of you people that are on ATT (which is probably most of you in the US) are going to lose your GPS after the intitial 30 days.

I will be curious to see what the rest of you think and if any of you have any work arounds.
    Last edited by Dsol; 11/05/2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Updated info from Palm
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I think you were misinformed. TeleNav doesn't manage GPS -- the U.S. Government does, and there isn't any 30-day timeout on the GPS feature generally.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLar View Post
    I think you were misinformed. TeleNav doesn't manage GPS -- the U.S. Government does, and there isn't any 30-day timeout on the GPS feature generally.
    The US government manages the satellites, but aGPS is somewhat of a hybrid system that uses the satellites AND cell towers.

Obviously, GPS is free as all the devices work for free such as Garmin, Tom Tom etc. But again aGPS seems to be a different animal.

I would be very happy to remove this thread or ask the mods to do it if Iam wrong or have been misinformed. It was awfully coincidental that my GPS quit working right at 30 days though.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I don't pretend to know squat about GPS nor have I spent the night at a Holiday Inn Express but....

GPS isn't a software application but rather a piece of hardware, right? Granted software can stop the hardware from functioning but I don't see how Navigator can block Google from using the piece of hardware but not being a programmer, I won't be surprised if someone says it's possible.

If there is a situation where Navigator is only allowing the GPS to be functional for thirty days, an easy way to test the waters is to remove Navigator from the Pro and see what happens. Mine is sitting on the other side of the house charging and I'm simply to lazy at the moment to confirm this but I don't think I have Navigator installed and the GPS works fine with Googlemaps. When the moment strikes and I find the energy to get up out of the Lazy Boy (very long day at work) and my assumption is incorrect, I'll post something to the contrary.

Lastly, if what you are saying is true and seeing that the Pro is a HTC device, isn't this just a matter of a something being cooked up over at XDA to fix the problem? I mean if you can figure out a way to install Touch-Flo 2D on to the Pro shouldn't a GPS patch be a piece of pie?
    TeleNav manages the GPS chip in your phone.
    Dsol, are you talking about GPS navigation? Such as you want to create a destination and have it give you your route and then guide you? If you are, then you're correct, there would be a monthly charge to use that software. But you still have the GPS built-in your phone and you should be able to use Google Maps to find your exact location and have it route you from there. You can, of course, use Google Maps for all it's other uses, but navigation GPS is not one of them. Most the carriers that sell GPS phones offer a 30 day trial to use the navigation software. I hope this makes sense to you.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Received my Treo on 9/29.

Used Google Maps & GPS freequently.

Have never opened TeleNav.

GPS works right now (I opened it).

Kinda blows that 30 day trial thing right out the window.....
    Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.
    This is interesting because I tried using TeleNav today and it said "invalid user id". Turns out I tried calling TeleNav to set it up in the beginnning and they had no idea what a Treo Pro was... they told me to call ATT, I called ATT and they said they had ATT Nav, which they said they set up. My TeleNav started working. Today when it stopped working, I called TeleNav and they said the CS rep I talked to didn't know what he was talking about, and it should be done on the phone or online. Anyway My telenav is no longer working.
    After a hard reset, I actually delete all the Telenav stuff to save storage space.

I use my GPS with Garmin XT and Google apps all the time.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post
    After a hard reset, I actually delete all the Telenav stuff to save storage space.

That is good to hear.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    So, have we concluded that:
    1. The Treo Pro's aGPS chip is not locked down to any specific software?
    2. It is in fact capable of operating in true standalone mode?
    3. Third party navigation apps will work but may require setting tweaks?

Having an embedded GPS chip that is fully functional is very important to me. That and my fear of AT&T crippling Internet Connection Sharing are the two reasons I have decided to go with the Treo Pro and not the Samsung EPIX. If the Pro's GPS chip is no better than the one on the EPIX, then I definitely will reconsider the EPIX.
    My GPS works fine, as long as I am not in the house. If I am in my house, it says the signal is too weak. It works fine outside or in my car. I use Google maps and TeleNav
    There were no GPS apps included on my phone, except for QuickGPS. I installed Google Maps and it works fairly well. Though I can't think of any practical use for it. For me it's a novelty: "See that clump of trees? No, not that clump, that clump. We're sitting next to it. Honest, we are...."
    I got mine well over 30 days ago and have no problem using gps with live search or g-maps. I subscri bed to telnav and even without data I could still get voice directions, the maps didn 't update though. but snce I hardly ever drive anywhere I don't alrealdy know how to get to I canceled telnav(although it did work great) and still g-maps and live search work fine. dsol I think maybe yu have a defective one?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    TeleNav manages the GPS chip in your phone.
    Then does this imply the device is locked down to some degree?

If so can it be unlocked somehow without paying for TeleNav services?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slem View Post
    There were no GPS apps included on my phone, except for QuickGPS. I installed Google Maps and it works fairly well. Though I can't think of any practical use for it. For me it's a novelty: "See that clump of trees? No, not that clump, that clump. We're sitting next to it. Honest, we are...."
    In most cases I would say you are right, however on occassion I go to remote areas with very spotty cell signals, or without any cell service altogether and it would be nice to know that if and when my cell signal went out I would still have GPS, although I guess if i were using Google maps for instance it wouldn't be able to update the maps unless I had a data connection too so maybe I really wouldn't be missing much.

On the other hand if I am in some city I have never been to and trying to find a street it would be nice to get closer than the "within 1200 meters" that google maps gives me when using the cell tower method--or the sometimes completely wrong cell tower it picks up.

Also, since you are not in US, I guess you have a non-US phone so maybe that is why no TeleNav on your phones ROM. I didn't install it and AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$ $is$ $only$ $one$ $US$ $model$ $now$ $which$ $is$ $the$ $unlocked$ $version$ $from$ $Palm$--$right$?
    Last edited by Dsol; 11/03/2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: clarify
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post

How do you delete the TeleNav after a hard reset? I don't see the choice to uninstall it. Removing the icon wouldn't do it either AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Then does this imply the device is locked down to some degree?

If so can it be unlocked somehow without paying for TeleNav services?
    I was trying to be funny.
    So I included the ' '
    I honestly believe telnav has no control over the gps of your pro.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I was trying to be funny.
    So I included the ' '
    I honestly believe telnav has no control over the gps of your pro.
    Oh--just a little slow here (not a techie but trying)

So then why would GPS not be working here on my TP. 2 hard resets and both GPSToday and Google Mobile Maps keep searching for sattellites and can no longer find them. Lots of cloud cover over the weekend so I assumed that was the problem but it still continues today and sky is clear.

Can't be a conflict because I tried using Google Mobile Maps right after a hard reset before I installed any other apps and still no luck. Used quick GPS to download latest data and still no luck.

Anyone know how to uninstall TeleNav or is that unnecessary?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Also, since you are not in US, I guess you have a non-US phone so maybe that is why no TeleNav on your phones ROM. I didn't install it and AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$ $is$ $only$ $one$ $US$ $model$ $now$ $which$ $is$ $the$ $unlocked$ $version$ $from$ $Palm$--$right$?
    That's right. Unlocked. If I were in the US, where GPS-related maps and so on are much more detailed, I might take more of an interest in it. But here in Jakarta Google Maps might give you the location of a handful of McDonalds, and not much else. Kind of useless.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast