Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    How do you delete the TeleNav after a hard reset? I don't see the choice to uninstall it. Removing the icon wouldn't do it either AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    Go into Settings>System>Remove Programs, then highlight TeleNav for Windows Mobile and hit Remove.

That should do it.I just removed it and now I have to go outside and see if my Google Maps will work with GPS.
    Last edited by charlyee; 11/04/2008 at 07:59 AM.
    Oh--just a little slow here (not a techie but trying)

So then why would GPS not be working here on my TP. 2 hard resets and both GPSToday and Google Mobile Maps keep searching for sattellites and can no longer find them. Lots of cloud cover over the weekend so I assumed that was the problem but it still continues today and sky is clear.

Can't be a conflict because I tried using Google Mobile Maps right after a hard reset before I installed any other apps and still no luck. Used quick GPS to download latest data and still no luck.

Anyone know how to uninstall TeleNav or is that unnecessary?
    It is not necessary to uninstall Telenabv to get GPS to work. However, I delete it to save storage space.

Go to Settings>System>Remove Program and uninstall Telenav. You may have to delete the .lnk shorcut in the Start Menu directory separately as well.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  3.    #23  
    Charlyee and levinda--It is not in the list of programs that I can remove. The only programs that are there are the ones that I installed myself. TeleNav came preinstalled on the device. Charlyee--I assume you have saw TeleNav in the list? This is very frustrating....
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  4. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Charlyee and levinda--It is not in the list of programs that I can remove. The only programs that are there are the ones that I installed myself. TeleNav came preinstalled on the device. Charlyee--I assume you have saw TeleNav in the list? This is very frustrating....
    Dsol, yes it was on the list. Straight out of the box it had Google Maps and TeleNav as the two programs in the remove list. I have hard reset it twice and both times those two appear in the remove list aagain.

That is strange that yours is not in the list. I have not tried GPS since I am at work indoors but I hope to try it during my lunch.
    Your Treo Pro comes with regular built-in GPS functionality because of the Qualcomm chip inside.

You do not need Telenav or whatever subscription/payment/etc. and it will work at any date.

You also do not need good cell reception for the GPS to operate. You just need good satellite reception. For a cold start, it can take a few minutes and make sure you are outside!

From what I know, aGPS is "assisted gps" where it is providing additional info to the gps system, but this is not mandatory.

QuickGPS is a tool from HTC that downloads the latest positions from the satellites to your Treo Pro to speed up the initial lock at cold boot. I've never seen it actually work, especially since it doesn't automatically download new data when the old data is expired. This tool is also not mandatory for the good working of your GPS.

You can use almost any 3rd party GPS software, provided that it supports WM6 and the screen resolution (320x320) of the Treo Pro.
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
    If you are still having trouble with gps, take a look at the 'Gps Settings' Thread
    As far as I know Telenav doesn't even use the GPS chip. I believe it uses towers only. I'm currently running Tomtom Navigator 6, Telenav and Google Maps. I may dump Telenav after the free month but it does have some nice features especially the cheap gas finder. That may be worth the $10 per month.
  8.    #28  
    Update--I hard reset again and checked my uninstall list and TeleNav was there so this time I uninstalled.

I had been restoring with Sprite and I guess it was automatically installing TeleNav. The only thing I can assume is that when I first started using the TP that TeleNav somehow got activated and once it gets activated it doesn't give you the uninstall option.

So at risk of redundancy is the consensus that there is no way that my GPS could be locked down by any software on my TP?

Thanks

Nevertheless, GPS is still unable to locate the satellites. I have played with the settings but nothing seems to work.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    So at risk of redundancy is the consensus that there is no way that my GPS could be locked down by any software on my TP?
    Correct.

I have the QuickGPS set to update automatically with ActiveSync and it seems to do this. Usually takes me about 10 seconds to get a GPS fix from a cold start. I am also using the free GPSToday application which is handy.
    Nevertheless, GPS is still unable to locate the satellites. I have played with the settings but nothing seems to work.
    Have you tried the suggestions in the 'Gps Settings' thread.
    Have you went outside to a clear sky, opened google maps and choose 'Use Gps' ?
  11. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    dsol, I just tried my GPS with Google Maps after removing TeleNav this morning & it fixed on 4 satellites in less than 30secs.

I do have QuickGPS enabled & on auto download.
  12.    #32  
    Even though TeleNav has been removed I was just outside and still not even able to pick up a single satellite.

I don't get this. I guess maybe the GPS chip in my phone died, but seems awfully unlikely. It says searching the entire time but never finds any sat's.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks
    Go To:
    Start Menu -> Settings -> System - External GPS.
    at the 'GPS program port' Choose 'COM4'
    Hardware: None
    Baud rate: 4800
    Access: put a Check in "Manage GPS automatically"
    Soft Reset.
    Open Google Maps -> Menu -> Options -> GPS Settings and make sure 'Managed by Windows' is selected.
    Choose 'ok' to return to Google Maps, click 'Menu' -> Use Gps.
    Do this outside with a clear view of the sky.
    It sometime takes awhile the first few time, but the after that it works rather quickly.

<edit> all this was how mine was set up by factory.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 11/04/2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: all this was how mine was set up by factory.
    Just call me Berd.
    Once you get Google maps working, you can also use Live Search.
    I've attached the one I'm using, just in case.
    After you open Live Search, choose 'Menu -> Settings -> Second box down may be set to "No GPS" This needs to be set to COM4.
    Now Live Search should also work.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 11/04/2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: attachement
    Just call me Berd.
  15. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Even though TeleNav has been removed I was just outside and still not even able to pick up a single satellite.

I don't get this. I guess maybe the GPS chip in my phone died, but seems awfully unlikely. It says searching the entire time but never finds any sat's.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks
    Do you have QuickGPS downloaded, without that mine took a good 10-15 to find satellites. I just used GMM for fun on my back & I am impressed with the accuracy of the GPS.

Good luck.
  16.    #36  
    Thanks to all of you for all your time and patience but I am still not getting anything and Palm insists that GPS is carrier dependant--which makes no sense. Palm claims the cell towers triangulate off the satellites and then send that back.

I am extremely frustrated with this--just spent way too much time on the phone with a level 2 tech and he says that there is nothing wrong with my phone and that it is a carrier issue--I don't know what else to tell them--or how to make this more clear.
    Hard Reset, don't do any sprite restore, and do as I suggest above.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Thanks to all of you for all your time and patience but I am still not getting anything and Palm insists that GPS is carrier dependant--which makes no sense. Palm claims the cell towers triangulate off the satellites and then send that back.

I am extremely frustrated with this--just spent way too much time on the phone with a level 2 tech and he says that there is nothing wrong with my phone and that it is a carrier issue--I don't know what else to tell them--or how to make this more clear.
    That stinks, Dsol, and I have to say doesn't make sense to me either. I can use my Pro's GPS receiver with Garmin XT with the phone disconnected from ATT so I don't see how that's dependent on the carrier at all.
  19.    #39  
    From Wikipedia:

The assistance server can locate the phone roughly by which cell site it is connected to on the cellular network.

It can supply orbital data for the GPS satellites to the cell phone, enabling the cell phone to lock to the satellites when it otherwise could not, and autonomously calculate its position.

By having accurate, surveyed coordinates for the cell site towers, it can have better knowledge of ionospheric conditions and other errors affecting the GPS signal than the cell phone alone, enabling more precise calculation of position. (See also Wide Area Augmentation System)
    As an additional benefit, it can reduce both the amount of CPU and programming required for a GPS phone by offloading most of the work onto the assistance server. (This is not a large amount for a basic GPS many early GPSs utilized Intel 80386-class 16MHz CPUs or similar hardware.)

A typical A-GPS-enabled cell phone will use an internet connection to contact the assistance server. Alternatively, it may use standard non-assisted GPS, which is slower and less accurate, but does not lead to network charges for data traffic, which can be considerable.[3] Some A-GPS solutions do not have the option of falling back to conventional GPS.[citation needed]

So based on this it would make sense that AGPS (which the TP claims it has) is indeed carrier and network dependant then wouldn't it? The above state that some AGPS solutions can't fall back to conventional GPS, which infers to me no cell signal=no positioning.
    From Wikipedia:

The assistance server can locate the phone roughly by which cell site it is connected to on the cellular network.

It can supply orbital data for the GPS satellites to the cell phone, enabling the cell phone to lock to the satellites when it otherwise could not, and autonomously calculate its position.

By having accurate, surveyed coordinates for the cell site towers, it can have better knowledge of ionospheric conditions and other errors affecting the GPS signal than the cell phone alone, enabling more precise calculation of position. (See also Wide Area Augmentation System)
    As an additional benefit, it can reduce both the amount of CPU and programming required for a GPS phone by offloading most of the work onto the assistance server. (This is not a large amount for a basic GPS many early GPSs utilized Intel 80386-class 16MHz CPUs or similar hardware.)

A typical A-GPS-enabled cell phone will use an internet connection to contact the assistance server. Alternatively, it may use standard non-assisted GPS, which is slower and less accurate, but does not lead to network charges for data traffic, which can be considerable.[3] Some A-GPS solutions do not have the option of falling back to conventional GPS.[citation needed]

So based on this it would make sense that AGPS (which the TP claims it has) is indeed carrier and network dependant then wouldn't it? The above state that some AGPS solutions can't fall back to conventional GPS, which infers to me no cell signal=no positioning.
    That is the case with some phones, for example, the AT&T Blackjack II.

However, it is not the case with the Treo Pro. Need more proof...

- shut off the phone radio and my Google Maps and Garmin XT still work

So obviously, not dependant on cellular towers. Yes, it does have AGPS, but it also has conventional GPS.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast