1.    #1  
    Coming from long line of Palms with many costly software. I am test-driving the 800w from Sprint directly for 30 days. If I like it, I will renew one of my 7 sprint contracts with best buy and pick up an 800w for $200. Here are my thoughts:

Application Launcher: Palm has a fairly good one built-in. I own z-launcher too. What are my options with WM? The built-in start menu doesn't seem great (I installed Quickmenu) Where do I enter categories, etc? I tried the free "launcher" program. Icons are blurry (I read something about Real VGA), no labels and no categories. ILauncher doesn't seem so great either. What else can I do to compare to the built-in app launcher on my 755p.

2day replacement: I tried todayagenda. It takes a long time to refresh and won't keep my category settings very often (I haven't pinned down when and why). I am using pocketbreeze now but it adds a line for each day above the appts. What a waste of space. TodayAgenda does it right but, alas, it doesn't work for me. I tested PocketInformant too. But that is way too advanced.

E-mail alerts: Chatter used to let me silence all vibrating alerts with a single button when I slept. Someone on the forums gave me a great idea that, if I stay in outlook and just turn off the screen (with the reg edit), I won't get any vibrate alert. Great for sleeping but what about when I turn off the screen during the day? I won't get vibrate alerts when I need them if I turn off the screen with outlook open.

So I guess those are my 3 main issues. GPS, Wifi, RDP, using the Redfly (which is ordered) really make this 800w so appealing. But, if I could just get past these issues, I would be very happy. I obviously have spent too many hours going through the threads but I am still stuck on these. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    The launcher thing is a matter of preference, I think you are harping on something that isn't an issue. I like Mortbuttons, you can make it look like whatever you want.

I really liked pocket informant for agendas but it is bloatware.

For changing alert preferences, IMO, nothing beats PhoneAlarm. You can change notifications based on time, charging/active sync status, location, etc. Duanting to use at first, but its amazingly flexible.
    The thing you have to keep in mind is that Windows Mobile is not Palm os. I spent my first month trying to get my 800w to look like my Centro. Once I stopped trying to do that, I started liking WM for itself, and what I could do with it, and how things looked.

I'm gradually getting to the point where I'm ready to remove any launcher and just run as is - it's really unnecessary.

I used Agendas on my Centro (and every Treo before that) and continue to use it on my 800w. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles the Palm version did, but it's young.

There seem to be lots of apps around that give you profiles to silence alerts.

See the rest of my words of wisdom on making the switch.
    I agree with Alli. I spent 3 or so days on the customization, realized that it lacked the ability to look anything like my Centro. There is a lot to play with. But first, learn to back up your device and do so before playing.
  5.    #5  
    Ben:

I have been following your posts for a very long time. I think you and I are very similar. I believe I read that you were an avid palm user (with Chatter) but switched to WM for multitasking. I have to say, it really helps with PIE. I also think the hardware is much better and especially the ability to use a Redfly.

I find myself to be, as my screen name suggests, a real gadget freak. I have never thought of myself as so "stuck-in-my-ways". But I am really having withdrawal issues from my 755p. Outlook just doesn't compare to Chatter. Can't select multiple messages, "from" addresses, signatures, etc. I liked the steady LED with Chatter - not the strobe on the 800w. I liked that Chatter grayed out a message and didn't update right away. If I missed the button and moved a message to the wrong folder, I had time to change it. I don't like that, if I turn off the screen while outlook is open, I won't get vibrating alerts of new mail.

I hate the start menu. Takes so long to find programs. All along the same theme of mutliple clicks vs. one click on a POS.

I miss apps that, although not really necessary, I used on POS but won't want to spend the money for WM equivelants (even if they exist): Keycaps, treoselecttext, kblightsoff, card reader, better calc, powerhero, Neeews, etc.

So, do I need to give up my title as gadgetfreak? Is it possible that even with this superior hardware, I am still not going with the latest and "greatest"? Say it ain't so. Help me love this phone so I can remain a, and the, "gadgetfreak". Thx.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    not to sound like a broken record here but i also was a POS user as well and like alli said dont mess with some of the software. i also downloaded spb mobile shell, touch launcher, and a few others. after i did download all of that stuff was installed i realized that all of that stuff made it look cool but did not change the easibility on how the phone worked. with the 800 not having a large display i find the spb, the slide to unlock and all of the touch screen apps to be unnessicary and space consuming.

as far as emailing. have you tried the product seven?? it is a free email push type program that is very customizable. i have it push my cooperate work email from 7-4 m-f and my personal email from 7-7 m-f and all of them pushed sat and sun from 10-11 am. it is a very nice and customizable program.
    I have had 2 800W devices and the 2nd one has developed a diseased lower keyboard - the lower keyboards do not work. I am taking it back in this morning. I have had a slider in the past and absolutely and without hesitation hated it. I will though look at the Touch Pro. Yep, nothing compares to Chatter.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I have had 2 800W devices and the 2nd one has developed a diseased lower keyboard - the lower keyboards do not work. I am taking it back in this morning. I have had a slider in the past and absolutely and without hesitation hated it. I will though look at the Touch Pro. Yep, nothing compares to Chatter.
    What are you using for mail then? I am trying Seven Beta but can't connect. I PM'd Paul there so hopefully he can help. I guess the two faulty 800ws still haven't turned you away from WM and back to POS. I just need a little help being convinced. There is so much to miss with POS.

I am using FlexMail. I am sticking with WM only because of the multitasking feature, definitely not for the programs or over-all performance.
    For the launcher, the default Windows one works perfectly fine. You just need to get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    Where do I enter categories, etc?
    First off, stop thinking of it like Palm's "home" screen.

Secondly, \Windows\Start Menu\ is your friend. Some quick explanation:

\Windows\Start Menu\ is what you see when you click on your start key. Put the applications you use often in here. Note that if an application lives here, it will NOT show up in the last 5 applications launched (at the very top).

As a little side tip, you CAN put folders here, and it works very well (in fact IIRC Office lives here by default).

\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ is what you see when you choose Programs. I *HATE* the fact that by default everything is jumbled in together. If you can place the different applications into different folders (and more than just "Games" and "Officer), it makes it very quick to navigate. I find it much easier to browse through approx 7 folders (with 3-10 programs per folder) than 40+ programs.

\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ is what you can think of as the "home" screen for Palm's.

Think of these sub folders as labels.

Launching applications on Palm's is slightly faster than on WM. That being said 80%+ of the applications I launch I can do within 5 clicks. (And probably 50%+ within 3.)

Think of the Start Menu just like you would on Windows XP.

Icons are blurry (I read something about Real VGA)
    Get Real VGA and try it. It's easy to install, and makes a *HUGE* difference on how the device functions.

Be aware that everything will be "smaller", which some people don't like.

I haven't had any complaints about blurry icons. In fact, when I used my 650 a few months back I thought many of the icons were more blurry than my 700wx. A lot of the Palm OS is "sharper" though.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the advice. I saw how to move items into those different folders. Of course, even THAT is complicated. The only way I can do it is to cut and paste one at a time. But I guess that is just a one time thing.

XP has a start menu -true. But there is also a desktop. I guess I can use launcher or ilauncher as the 'desktop' here. I don't want my icons any smaller, so I will pass on realVGA. I am about to settle on pocketbreeze as my 2day alternative with tabs for weather, speed dial and launcher (blurry and no text labels). I think I like this better than spb Diary. Too bad I can't figure out a way for the left rectangles to properly display color of categories or add decent icons for each appt. I also think it is a big waste to have a whole line for each day. TodayAgenda did it correctly but I keep on losing my category filter settings.

I will play again with flexmail as Ben claims it is closest to Chatter (though still far behind). It shocks me that this is such an advanced OS yet no one can match some of the functionality in the 10-year-old POS.

If your coming from POS and the 800 is your first WM device the learning curve could be annoying. My first Windows device was the PPC6700 and I actually threw it twice. After 9 days I returned it. Had a bad experience and thought Windows Mobile is not my bag. That changed when I got the Treo 700wx. Easy to use and worked great as a phone, I was hooked. Now I cannot live without Windows. The 800 is not the most stable device I've used and it does have some issues. I can see why this thread exists. I have made several threads about my rough times with this device. I have learned to deal with it. I keep mine pretty stock since it runs well with minimal apps. Everytime I add something there is always an issue. Anyway my advice is to be patient and give it a little more time.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I don't want my icons any smaller, so I will pass on realVGA.
    Try it out before you pass on it. Once it's installed you can easily swap back and forth between the resolutions. Additionally, some applications will only work in 96 DPI, they will not function under 128 DPI, so RealVGA increases application compatibility.
    The Resco today Plugin part of Resco explorer enables you to put icons on the today screen much like 2day.
    Laissez Faire
    After spending 2 hours at Sprint this morning and during the time playing with the Touch Pro, I was advised the 800W was going to be replaced in about 3 days. The store had no Touch Pros in stock, only the 1 demo model. My name was placed on the notification list when they come in. After playing I remembered why I did not like the slider. Nice device though and that screen sure gets filthy awfully fast. Response but dirty.