1.    #1  
    Its driving me crazy with the keyboard lighting up, the screen going on and off. Last night I just pulled out the battery.

Is there a program that can tame this thing.

Thanks
    Evidently you have a program that is turning it on and lighting up the keyboard. You might want to figure out what's doing that because short of removing the battery (which defeats the purpose of using for things like alarms), off is off is off.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $closest$ $you$ $can$ $get$ $short$ $of$ $pulling$ $the$ $battery$:

Hold down the power button until the cellular radio turns off, then press the power button once to suspend the device.

At night I put the 800w face down on a soft case, so if I get a TXT that would light up the screen it doesn't bother me. My screen never turns on by itself otherwise.

Edit: what Alli said. If your screen is turning on, you might be running something that's doing that. Those weather programs seem to be common culprits, in case you have one of those installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by versabar View Post
    Its driving me crazy with the keyboard lighting up, the screen going on and off. Last night I just pulled out the battery.

Is there a program that can tame this thing.

Thanks
    Are you also seeing vertical rainbow lines along with that ? I was having all of the above + the vertical rainbow, turns out (I think), was related to charging the phone (despite installing the fix for it). Since then I got the palm battery charger, and I never put the phone to charge, just swap batteries as and when reqd.

As far as weather progs go, I use WeatherPanel (w/that awesome PhatPhinger icon scheme thanks to StoryR) instead of Weatherbug. Weatherbug would tend to wake phone up for weather alerts, it does that on my wife's Mogul.

BigMots
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMots View Post
    Are you also seeing vertical rainbow lines along with that ?
    Whenever I get the rainbow lines (which is rare) I simply soft reset and it goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Evidently you have a program that is turning it on and lighting up the keyboard. You might want to figure out what's doing that because short of removing the battery (which defeats the purpose of using for things like alarms), off is off is off.
    x2 on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Whenever I get the rainbow lines (which is rare) I simply soft reset and it goes away.
    This is good advice and some of this can also usually be attributed to third party software. But there are handsets that simply light up and also give rainbow lines with no third party software, and which do it often despite multipel resets. I had such a handset. If you get it with no third party software I strongly suggest replacing it. Sprint knows this is a defect in some of the 800ws.
  7.    #7  
    I was unsure if mine was just wacky.
    I have one 3pty software app - handbase. But it did it before I installed it.

I am going to try to remember to close all programs, turn off the radio, and set email notification frequency to manual.

That way maybe it won't go wild all night long.

I hate to be a moron, but is a soft reset pulling out the battery?

Thanks,
    Bill

PS I really like the phone and it feels well made.
    Quote Originally Posted by versabar View Post
    I was unsure if mine was just wacky.
    I have one 3pty software app - handbase. But it did it before I installed it.
    Try hard resetting and starting over. I have occasionally gotten the colored lines a lot for no apparent reason, but after a hard reset all is good.....

And yes, a soft reset is either pulling the battery or using a proggy to soft reset. Pulling the battery will erase any changes made (such as registry) while using a proggy will (usually) save them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Pulling the battery will erase any changes made (such as registry) while using a proggy will (usually) save them.
    Do you really mean to say that pulling the battery right after making a registry change will erase them?

I've never had any registry change go away except with a hard reset. And those were recovered when I restored from backup. And I've pulled my battery quite a few times.
    Bell Rotary --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Palm Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by NicksGarage View Post
    Do you really mean to say that pulling the battery right after making a registry change will erase them?

I've never had any registry change go away except with a hard reset. And those were recovered when I restored from backup. And I've pulled my battery quite a few times.
    Yes. It's quite easy to test.

For example with my RealVGA program (when I was first developing it) the device must soft reset to recognize the new resolution settings. I simply executed a soft reset, and a fair amount of the time the new resolution would not take (or worse only take partially).

The solution was to refresh the today screen/plugins, which reloads them (and in the process tells WM to save the registry, as that's where all the today plugin settings/order is saved). It adds a tiny fraction of additional time to the restart process, but since I added that I have never seen a registry change get lost when soft resetting (through RealVGA).

Soft reset programs *SHOULD* do the same. I know PSShutXP does. I recall using one that did NOT do this, but I can't remember which one off hand.