1.    #1  
    Trying to decide on going for the 800W now or the Pro "when" Sprint has it in a "few" weeks....

From reading these Forums, it looks like some prefer the 800W because of the keyboard and the look/feel.

From reading these Forums, it seems that the Pro has an improved battery.
    Perhaps some also like the look/feel of the Pro better.

Any other comparison/contrast for me to consider?
    Go to phonescoop.com and do a search on the Pro then select a side by side with the 800. I actually like the Pro. I can only find two faults with it. One is the Centro keyboard and two is the slippery fingerprint housing. I could adapt to both and are not deal breakers. The Pro has a 1500mAH battery, audio jack, real GPS and better looks. The 800 has soft keys and better keyboard.

The only way I would get one is if Sprint swapped out my 800 for it. I have 2 weeks left and I doubt the Pro comes out in time. Looks like I am keeping the 800.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Hi,

I think you've pretty much summed up the issue. It basically comes down to thinner, "sexier" & better battery vs. better keyboard & better surface.

For me, the keyboard trumps all, but YMMV.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Isn't that a pretty similar comparison to the centro vs. 755p (assuming the 755p was one of the rock-solid stable ones)?
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    I have grown to be pretty frustrated w/ my 800. I really want a Treo Pro! The battery life, the lack of an easy way to output audio and the crippled GPS are the reasons I am disappointed by the 800. The Pro addresses all of these issues. That's a compelling reason to switch, but I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Hi,

I think you've pretty much summed up the issue. It basically comes down to thinner, "sexier" & better battery vs. better keyboard & better surface.

For me, the keyboard trumps all, but YMMV.
    +1 for me there..

I had a chance to play with the GSM Treo Pro on AT&T and it has a GPS lag .. so all in all if one of the Treo's single biggest selling points IS indeed a full front facing keyobard, the 800w wins hands down.

Besides as far as battery goes, Sprint literally gives u additional battery for free (they gave me 2) for the 800w.

Also the surface of the 800w (slight rubberized) is better than the Pro's

BigMots
    I have to say that I love my 800w. My only complaint is that the battery is a little less than stellar, but I pretty much assumed that going in. I use it to connect to my work's Exchange Server and have had absolutely zero issues with regards to sending/receiving mail. I love the keyboard and the non-slick coating rules. I also have no idea what peoples complaints are with the GPS. I primarily use my Garmin for navigation but there have been quite a few times where my Garmin told me I was falsely at my location. I pulled out the Treo and it saved the day (or trip). The Treo Pro does look sexy, but I have a feeling that good looks fade and I would be no more happy. Just my 2 cents.
    You guys are forgetting to mention how slow the pro runs the same applications as the 800w. I'm not sure why but the thing is slow. This is not just my observation but has also been noted by reviews at WM Experts and TreoCentral.

The "non crippled" GPS is much slower than the chip in the 800w as well. When I run Garmin XT on my friends pro the GPS position is jerky and lags about 1 block behind our actual position. The 800w runs Garmin XT as smooth as silk with no jerking and no lagging. I would rather have my "crippled" GPS thanks.

The slow performance, lack of soft keys and horrid keyboard are more than enough reasons to keep me away. But to each his own.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Well, I've never used (or even seen) the Treo Pro. So I can't speak to any lag or GPS issues. If someone needed a GPS while out of Sprint's network (such as a trip out of country), I suppose the Pro may be a better choice. For my travel purposes (Northeast US primarily, with trips as far south as VA), I LOVE Sprint Navigation.

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMots View Post
    +1 for me there..

....Besides as far as battery goes, Sprint literally gives u additional battery for free (they gave me 2) for the 800w....
    Can you post how you talked them in to extra batteries?
    If you complain at the store about the 800W terrible battery they have at t imes given us customers a free battery. Helps if your either nice to them or blonde and hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    You guys are forgetting to mention how slow the pro runs the same applications as the 800w. I'm not sure why but the thing is slow. This is not just my observation but has also been noted by reviews at WM Experts and TreoCentral.

The "non crippled" GPS is much slower than the chip in the 800w as well. When I run Garmin XT on my friends pro the GPS position is jerky and lags about 1 block behind our actual position. The 800w runs Garmin XT as smooth as silk with no jerking and no lagging. I would rather have my "crippled" GPS thanks.

The slow performance, lack of soft keys and horrid keyboard are more than enough reasons to keep me away. But to each his own.
    Um, bad comparison. The AT&T Treo Pro runs only standalone GPS, not standalone and aGPS like the Sprint version will. The crippled 800w can't do standalone so you're screwed if you don't have a Sprint signal and needs GPS to work.

Everyone knows that aGPS works better if you're in an area with Sprint service. No real need to force standalone mode in that situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    If you complain at the store about the 800W terrible battery they have at t imes given us customers a free battery. Helps if your either nice to them or blonde and hot.
    yup thats right, be nice and complain...and voila..magic happens..good thing about 800w is (or not) that it has same battery as Centro, so you can always ask the store to see if they have old centro batts lying around.

BigMots
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Um, bad comparison. The AT&T Treo Pro runs only standalone GPS, not standalone and aGPS like the Sprint version will. The crippled 800w can't do standalone so you're screwed if you don't have a Sprint signal and needs GPS to work.

Everyone knows that aGPS works better if you're in an area with Sprint service. No real need to force standalone mode in that situation.
    Please explain "crippled"
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Please explain "crippled"
    He's referring to the fact that you need to be in Sprint's network in order to initiate your GPS connection. If you are traveling out of the country, or in a part that doesn't have Sprint coverage, you will not be able to use GPS.

So if you want it for general travel, it's really great. Nsxprime has....strong feelings on this issue, and about the 800w in general.

It's just one problem exchanged for another...

Diamond and Touch Pro both have the dreaded "gps lag bug".

Hope HTC doesn't drop the ball again with the Sprint Treo Pro--this trend is a bit unsettling.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    He's referring to the fact that you need to be in Sprint's network in order to initiate your GPS connection. If you are traveling out of the country, or in a part that doesn't have Sprint coverage, you will not be able to use GPS.

So if you want it for general travel, it's really great. Nsxprime has....strong feelings on this issue, and about the 800w in general.
    I don't consider that "crippled". Does it work as advertised, no. But, it certainly doesn't cripple the entire device.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone