Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Is anyone aware of a WM Quick Key program similar to that included in the Butler application for POS?
    I am trying the 800W for a month and while away from Palm, am really missing the option to instantly open programs.
    Thanks.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I think AEButtons plus (?) will let you assign programs to certain buttons. No personal experience, but I seem to remember it being discussed on the WM podcast.

Todd
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    AEButton Will do what you want.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    AEButton Will do what you want.
    Thanks for the pointer. AE Button Plus allows changing of the hardware keys but unfortunately it won't setup the keyboard into quick launch keys like in the old POS with KeyLauncher. I'm hoping something would be out there like this for WM as a way around the Start Button-centric application launching.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Roams,

I know exactly what you mean. I have been looking for something to do this for years on 700w and now the 800w. Besides being able to type (of course), the great advantage keyboard phones have over non keyboard phones is a bunch of hard keys that could be used to launch programs, webpages, sms, etc quickly via easy to remember keyboard shortcuts. It really is a shame that Microsoft, or a 3rd party has not taken advantage of this.

The best I have come up with so far (as mentioned already) is AEButtons plus. You canít really assign a shortcut to the letter keys, and you can only launch programs (not web pages, sms, speed dials) but it has made my experience much bettor.

For example I leave the calendar single press as is and assign a double press to the camera app and a triple press to my calculator app (hp12c) (all beginning with c to more easily remember)

For mail button I assign a double pres to the palm messaging app. This allows me to quickly change back and forth between SMS and email, while still doing 1 handed operation. (my triple press go to spanish translation software)

In this manor I used double and triple presses for the start key, ok key, calender, mail and center key. I found that the 2 soft keys do not work very well when overridden by AEBP. Also I donít recommend overriding the up down left right keys since they are used for scrolling and navigating in other apps (double triple and holding)

For the ok key I have double press for google maps, triple is NYC subway map
    For the startk key have media player as a double press and slingplayer as a triple

Another thing I have done which has really worked out nice is assign the Option-OK combination to kill the current task.
    Also I assigned a option-Triple Start press to do a softreset of the phone.
    (these are the only shortcuts I have that require 2 hand operation the point being that wouldnít do them by accident)

For the center button I have a double press bring up the windows mobile task manager. This makes it faster to switch between applications than using the built in hold the OK button methodology.

I have found that the best setting is the minimum keyboard timeout setting of 200ms. Even with this I feel there is some delay when using the single press functionally than there would be without AEBP, but I have learned to live with this for huge increase I have gained in lunching apps that I need quickly.

This is by far not he most eloquent or reliable solution, but I have yet to find one bettor. Once you get used to hard shortcuts is really hard to live without them.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by greenlion; 11/03/2008 at 12:28 PM.
    AE Button made my soft keys useless. When I pressed the soft keys they did nothing. I had to do another hard reset because deleting the program did not change the soft keys back to default. Only Memmaid, SKTools and WeatherPanel work on my device. Amazing, I have the weirdess device.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlion View Post
    Roams,

I know exactly what you mean. I have been looking for something to do this for years on 700w and now the 800w. Besides being able to type (of course), the great advantage keyboard phones have over non keyboard phones is a bunch of hard keys that could be used to launch programs, webpages, sms, etc quickly via easy to remember keyboard shortcuts. It really is a shame that Microsoft, or a 3rd party has not taken advantage of this.

The best I have come up with so far (as mentioned already) is AEButtons plus. You canít really assign a shortcut to the letter keys, and you can only launch programs (not web pages, sms, speed dials) but it has made my experience much bettor.

This is by far not he most eloquent or reliable solution, but I have yet to find one bettor. Once you get used to hard shortcuts is really hard to live without them.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the insight. This gets me up to speed on the issue. I will give AEButtons another try.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    PQzII
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    AE Button made my soft keys useless. When I pressed the soft keys they did nothing. I had to do another hard reset because deleting the program did not change the soft keys back to default. Only Memmaid, SKTools and WeatherPanel work on my device. Amazing, I have the weirdess device.
    You don't seem to be too good at this whole WM thing. My soft keys worked just fine after using AE.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    There definitely are some issues with AEBP and the soft keys, sometimes after programming my left key stopped working, but it would come back (and continue to work) after a soft reset. I also found that AEBP was not reliable in overriding the buttons themselves. Using the program requires patience and trial and error, also backing up is a good idea.