Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    Talked to the guy at the Sprint store yesterday who claims that the 800P will be released in December ( a few months).

    Has anyone heard this also?

    Would you switch from an 800W to a 800P?????????
  2. elh1188's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    #2  
    pretty unlikely.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx View Post
    Talked to the guy at the Sprint store yesterday who claims that the 800P will be released in December ( a few months).

    Has anyone heard this also?

    Would you switch from an 800W to a 800P?????????
    He might likely be referring to the Treo Pro I suspect.

    BigMots
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMots View Post
    He might likely be referring to the Treo Pro I suspect.

    BigMots

    Nope! They said the 800 "P" (pee!) will be released in December!

    The W was so different, he said that I should wait for the P to come out in a month or so.


    I don't think that that Treo Pro will be carried by Sprint. The Pro is GSM. Sprint is CDMA....
  5. elh1188's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx View Post
    Nope! They said the 800 "P" (pee!) will be released in December!

    The W was so different, he said that I should wait for the P to come out in a month or so.


    I don't think that that Treo Pro will be carried by Sprint. The Pro is GSM. Sprint is CDMA....
    He likely didn't know what he was talking about. There are some other recent posts on the forums. Palm OS can't support multitasking and wifi, two of the features on the 800w. There's not likely to be any more Treos on the Palm OS platform (excluding Centros). We're looking to the Nova devices at this point.

    Also, there's been a few articles on TC, from both Mal and Dieter, suggesting that the Treo Pro WILL be released on Sprint.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by elh1188 View Post
    Palm OS can't support multitasking and wifi...
    The wifi part is not true. Palm OS CAN support wifi, which was shown by multiple PDA releases from both Sony (UX-50) and Palm themselves (many Tungsten devices). That's something I never understood. Why wouldn't Palm include Wifi on their phones if they have the ability to do so?

    As for the other part of your point (no multi-tasking), that definitely true.

    The final factor is simply the forward progress of the OS as a whole. Windows Mobile has been constantly improving, while Palm remains stagnant. I personally love the Palm OS, but I've switched to WM6, just because I feel like there's a much better chance for continued advances (and it's a lot nicer looking). As for stability and speed of functions, I still believe Palm has the better OS.

    Just my 2 cents...
  7. #7  
    he probably meant the 800N, lol
    the nova version, lol
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by brickjr View Post
    The wifi part is not true. Palm OS CAN support wifi, which was shown by multiple PDA releases from both Sony (UX-50) and Palm themselves (many Tungsten devices). That's something I never understood. Why wouldn't Palm include Wifi on their phones if they have the ability to do so?

    As for the other part of your point (no multi-tasking), that definitely true.

    The final factor is simply the forward progress of the OS as a whole. Windows Mobile has been constantly improving, while Palm remains stagnant. I personally love the Palm OS, but I've switched to WM6, just because I feel like there's a much better chance for continued advances (and it's a lot nicer looking). As for stability and speed of functions, I still believe Palm has the better OS.

    Just my 2 cents...
    I think he meant that PalmOS can't support wifi and a phone radio at the same time. Not 100% sure on the theory behind this or how true it is, but it kinda makes sense. Since PalmOS is single threaded, it may not be able to handle the data from the phone radio and the wifi radio at the same time, and perhaps Palm/The Carriers would not be content with having to turn off one radio to use the other, so they probably abandoned a wifi PalmOS Treo altogether. At the same time though, this doesn't explain how the bluetooth works just fine along with the cellular radio.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx View Post
    Nope! They said the 800 "P" (pee!) will be released in December!

    The W was so different, he said that I should wait for the P to come out in a month or so.


    I don't think that that Treo Pro will be carried by Sprint. The Pro is GSM. Sprint is CDMA....
    from engadgetmobile...
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/1...software-site/

  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmDM View Post
    Yeah, you might be right! I went to the Sprint Store today to pick up my new 800W and I ran into the same guy. I ask him how he knew the 800P was coming out in December. He said the Palm rep told him. I told him that I called Palm and Sprint who did not know anything about a "P" version. I asked him if he was sure it was the P or was it the "Pro." He wasn't sure. So there very well might be a CDMA version of the Pro coming out. I hope so!!!!!!
  11. #11  
    I'm tempted to upgrade to a Treo Pro just for its looks but functionally, I guess going from an 800w to a Pro isn't worth the upgrade cost.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    I'm tempted to upgrade to a Treo Pro just for its looks but functionally, I guess going from an 800w to a Pro isn't worth the upgrade cost.

    Well, it's smaller and faster! I would like to get the Pro. I just switched from a 700P to a 800W. When the Pro comes out in December (hopefully) I will return the 800W and get the Pro.

Posting Permissions