Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have had a pro for a month... I have been testing Epix also. Overall I think I am sticking with the Pro. I really like the form factor of the Epix and feel the screen is crisper because of the plasticy covering on the Treo, I like glass feeling instead. The Pro is more intuitive to me, and I am a Tom Tom user as well.
  2. jgk
    I delayed moving away from my Treo 650 for a long time, primarily because I hate the idea of running Windows software on a PDA.

But the extra features of teh Pro made me make the jump, and I expected to hate it - but the transition has been really, really easy.

After about 10 days I'm now fully up to speed and loving the device, and now just about to add a coupel of third-party apps to make it even better. The form factor is superb, and things like working BT, GPS and WiFi make it so much more useful to me than the 650 ever was. Even managing my mail the way Microsoft want me to hasn't been as painful as I thought it would be.

Ladies and gentlemen.... I believe!!
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    Hi, I meant an indication on the screen saver or better yet LED blinking for all messaging.

I tried weith the stylus to reach but couldn't, will try a paper clip next time. Thanks
    Instead of using the stylus, this program works very well for soft reseting any device.

*Sorry, guess I still can't yet post a link 'cause I'm a noob.

Go to freewarepocketpc.net and search for psShutXP
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    The Treo Pro is a much better phone than the Nokia E71 or even the iPhone for that matter.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    A few years ago, before upgrading my Treo 600 to a 700p, I took a close look at the PPC-6700, a Windows Mobile 5 device. But after playing with it in the Sprint store a couple of times, I just couldn't find my way to make the switch. My biggest complaint was that it seemed painful to surf on it with Pocket IE.

Fast forward several years and now I'm back to looking at a Windows Mobile device because I'm ready for a change. I still love 700p and I think it is a great device, but frankly I'm just getting the itch for something new. I'm now taking a close look at the Touch Pro, but I will definitely try to hold off to take a look at the Treo Pro when it makes it's Sprint debut.

I went to the Sprint store yesterday to test drive the Touch Pro. I liked several things about it, but once again, I found it very difficult to browse effectively. I used both IE and Opera. With IE, the font was huge and it was slow to scroll down the page and I still can't figure out a hotkey to go down a page at a time (I'd think the spacebar or the 5-way nav down, but neither worked). When I used Opera, it was more iPhone-ish and gave a good picture of the full page (I was browsing TreoCentral--the full site, not the mobile version). But when I'd zoom in so that I could actually read the text, then half the text would slide off the side of the screen. I couldn't figure out a good way of sliding over other than to use my finger on the touchscreen. That would be a major pain. I also couldn't find a way to get it to reformat the text so that it all fit according to the width of the screen

Although the Palm browser isn't the prettiest, it does a very good job of reformatting the page...particularly the text...and making it very easy to scroll down with the 5-way nav. I can't see moving to another device that doesn't offer similar ease of use for the web browser.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing with browsing on a Windows Mobile device? There must be some tricks that are not obvious (at least to me) that makes web browsing on a Windows Mobile device less painful. Maybe the Palm WinMo devices have some tweaks built-in that the others don't?

Your advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
    -ss
    Last edited by securityscaper; 11/06/2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: add title
  6.    #26  
    securityscaper,

One suggestion: try browsing using skweezer. Go to skweezer.com, enter the URL, and up pops a smaller, more mobile-friendly version. Links from the skeweezed page are also skweezed, so you can also make a bookmark to Google on Skweezer then browser from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLar View Post
    securityscaper,

One suggestion: try browsing using skweezer. Go to skweezer.com, enter the URL, and up pops a smaller, more mobile-friendly version. Links from the skeweezed page are also skweezed, so you can also make a bookmark to Google on Skweezer then browser from there.
    or try NetFront
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by securityscaper View Post
    A few years ago, before upgrading my Treo 600 to a 700p, I took a close look at the PPC-6700, a Windows Mobile 5 device. But after playing with it in the Sprint store a couple of times, I just couldn't find my way to make the switch. My biggest complaint was that it seemed painful to surf on it with Pocket IE.

Fast forward several years and now I'm back to looking at a Windows Mobile device because I'm ready for a change. I still love 700p and I think it is a great device, but frankly I'm just getting the itch for something new. I'm now taking a close look at the Touch Pro, but I will definitely try to hold off to take a look at the Treo Pro when it makes it's Sprint debut.

I went to the Sprint store yesterday to test drive the Touch Pro. I liked several things about it, but once again, I found it very difficult to browse effectively. I used both IE and Opera. With IE, the font was huge and it was slow to scroll down the page and I still can't figure out a hotkey to go down a page at a time (I'd think the spacebar or the 5-way nav down, but neither worked). When I used Opera, it was more iPhone-ish and gave a good picture of the full page (I was browsing TreoCentral--the full site, not the mobile version). But when I'd zoom in so that I could actually read the text, then half the text would slide off the side of the screen. I couldn't figure out a good way of sliding over other than to use my finger on the touchscreen. That would be a major pain. I also couldn't find a way to get it to reformat the text so that it all fit according to the width of the screen

Although the Palm browser isn't the prettiest, it does a very good job of reformatting the page...particularly the text...and making it very easy to scroll down with the 5-way nav. I can't see moving to another device that doesn't offer similar ease of use for the web browser.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing with browsing on a Windows Mobile device? There must be some tricks that are not obvious (at least to me) that makes web browsing on a Windows Mobile device less painful. Maybe the Palm WinMo devices have some tweaks built-in that the others don't?

Your advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
    -ss

Palm does have a few.

In Pocket IE, if you just use the d-pad the behavior is to jump link to link.

If you hold down option + d-pad up/down you get page up and page down behavior

If you hols down option+ d-pad left/right you it takes you to the top or bottom of the web site.

Also, Pocket IE has 3 settings to render pages (the following are not Palm specific):

1) Desktop - as on your home PC, which often results in horizontal scrolling. However starting with WM 6.1 (the Pro has it) there is a "zoom" function in this view

2) Fit To Screen

3) One column

Views 2 and 3 above are often identical, but not always. Some sites work better with #2, some with #3.

Also, there is a full screen option to get more space.

Those are just the things out of the box. 3rd party apps add additional function such as tabs, screen dragging, etc...
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post
    Palm does have a few.

In Pocket IE, if you just use the d-pad the behavior is to jump link to link.

If you hold down option + d-pad up/down you get page up and page down behavior

If you hols down option+ d-pad left/right you it takes you to the top or bottom of the web site.

Also, Pocket IE has 3 settings to render pages (the following are not Palm specific):

1) Desktop - as on your home PC, which often results in horizontal scrolling. However starting with WM 6.1 (the Pro has it) there is a "zoom" function in this view

2) Fit To Screen

3) One column

Views 2 and 3 above are often identical, but not always. Some sites work better with #2, some with #3.

Also, there is a full screen option to get more space.

Those are just the things out of the box. 3rd party apps add additional function such as tabs, screen dragging, etc...
    Wow...awesome!! This is exactly the type of help I was hoping for. Thanks so much for laying out all of these options!

So ideally I'd like to get the same functionality with the d-pad as with my Palm OS Treo....that is, up/down on the d-pad page up/down and left/right on the d-pad jump forward/backward link-to-link. Do you know how that could be accomplished?

It's great to know that option+up/down will page up/down, but it still seems painful to have to push 2 buttons with each page down. Maybe Palm has customized it, or at least there is a 3rd party app for this capability?

Thanks again,
    -ss
    In the 'Sticky' thread entitled "Suggested threads for Treo Pro users" There's a link to a thread about Registry Edits & Tweaks where you can set up the 4-way to work similar to what your asking. I have mine set up that way.
    you can do the opposite with a reg hack for navigation (right/left pages down, up/down scrolls links). the same hack 'should' work to do the other way but it doesn't
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    In the 'Sticky' thread entitled "Suggested threads for Treo Pro users" There's a link to a thread about Registry Edits & Tweaks where you can set up the 4-way to work similar to what your asking. I have mine set up that way.
    Perfect! Thank you!

Out of curiosity, the writer of the hack says to use a WM registry editor and he says he uses Resco's. Is there not one built into Windows Mobile? I ask because I'd like to demo this hack when I go to the Sprint store and hopefully I won't have to download and install 3rd party apps.

Thanks very much for the help everyone. I think I have the answers that will make me feel MUCH more comfortable about switching to Windows Mobile.

-ss
    Quote Originally Posted by securityscaper View Post
    Out of curiosity, the writer of the hack says to use a WM registry editor and he says he uses Resco's. Is there not one built into Windows Mobile?
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$'$s$ $none$ $built$-$into$ $WM$. $However$ $registry$ $editor$ $is$ $such$ $an$ $important$ $tool$ $for$ $us$ $device$ $hacker$/$customizer$ $that$ $you$'$ll$ $find$ $it$ $included$ $with$ $a$ $number$ $of$ $tools$. $I$ $use$ $the$ $registry$ $editor$ $built$-$into$ $my$ $must$ $have$ freeware ...
    (1) Total Commander v2.51 - alternative file explorer - http://www.ghisler.com
    (2) FdcSoft Task Mgr 3.1 - alternative process/task manager - http://www.dotfred.net/TaskMgr.htm

I understand Resco Explorer shareware included registry editor is also good.
    regards, sabre23t =^.^=
    Now after two weeks and a bunch of variations of apps and configurations I am very happy with this device.
    RealVGA is a must and no that I have the screen to my liking there is nothing I would change other than its fragile case. Alot are reporting hairline cracks in the plastic of the body. Im very careful with my phones so should not be a problem. The only other thing is the fingerprints.....I can't stand Fingerprints!

I think if the body was like the Tilts surface it would be the perfect phone.
    I have had the 8125, 8525 and the tilt a couple BB's, a 1st gen iphone and the centro in the last two years and really think i perfect phone. The one handed use is easy with this phone as where the tilt and slide phones were hard to use and the keys are a bit bigger and spread out just enough as appose to the centro. The iphone was too much of a toy as far as apps and use goes and BB's just aren't my thing.....

I know there are some improvements that this phone can take but for now until Nova comes out its all I need......
    I just discovered that the Treo Pro will stand up on its own while resting on a level surface. Not particularly useful but something else positive to say about it.
    I bet everyone who reads this will immediately try it...there's other way to kill the curiosity. Cool huh?
    Heh, I tried it. Just as you predicted. It works!
    Quote Originally Posted by sabre23t View Post
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$'$s$ $none$ $built$-$into$ $WM$. $However$ $registry$ $editor$ $is$ $such$ $an$ $important$ $tool$ $for$ $us$ $device$ $hacker$/$customizer$ $that$ $you$'$ll$ $find$ $it$ $included$ $with$ $a$ $number$ $of$ $tools$. $I$ $use$ $the$ $registry$ $editor$ $built$-$into$ $my$ $must$ $have$ freeware ...
    (1) Total Commander v2.51 - alternative file explorer - http://www.ghisler .com
    (2) FdcSoft Task Mgr 3.1 - alternative process/task manager - http://www.dotfred .net/TaskMgr.htm

I understand Resco Explorer shareware included registry editor is also good.
    It's so nice when people include links.
    thanks
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WMguy View Post
    II bet everyone who reads this will immediately try it...there's other way to kill the curiosity.
    Damn you! I did, and you're right!
    ;-)
    It's shiny! 'Nuff said!

I have come to the Pro from the 650, and the plethora of wireless connections options in this puppy is astounding. Not to mention the in-built GPS reciever. Sure, saying goodbye to Palm OS was sad, but it just doesn't cut the mustard when it comes to supporting newer technologies.

The one thing that has me concerned are the reports about the case "cracking up". I hope mine doesn't suffer the same fate.

Brushy
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12