Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can we use this phone as a remote control for our TV, VCR, DVD player etc? If so what programs are you currently using?
    thanks!
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    The IR transmitter is not strong enough from my understanding. If you are versed well enough, you can try using NetRemote to control your PC. Then have your PC send the signals to your pieces. But again, much more in depth than what you are looking for, i am sure.
  3.    #3  
    Well i guess that makes this IR transmitter practically useless. Other than transferring, which we have bluetooth for, what else is IR good for on this phone? Does anyone use the IR transmitter?
    Last edited by mbw163; 10/30/2008 at 10:55 PM. Reason: fixed transmitter part
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbw163 View Post
    Well i guess that makes this IR transmitter practically useless. Other than transferring, which we have bluetooth for, what else is IR good for on this phone? Does anyone use the IR t(x)?
    I have never used the IR port beyond sending a contact to another phone. What is IR t(x)?
  5.    #5  
    Sorry meant IR transmitter
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Sorry meant IR transmitter
    Techie talk went over my head, sorry about that,
    it's too weak to transmit, it's also kind of slow. forget about it.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I understand the PS3 remote uses Bluetooth. I'm waiting for someone to figure out how to program a WinMo phone to act as a PS3 remote.
    Well i guess that makes this IR transmitter practically useless. Other than transferring, which we have bluetooth for, what else is IR good for on this phone? Does anyone use the IR transmitter?
    Well the IR transmitter was put there for transferring data with other devices and computers, that can do IR data transfers. So it serves its purpose.

It can do the remote control thing if you're close to the devices you're trying to use it on.

I'd rather have it than not. If you run into someone else with a Treo (or another device with IR) and want to send them your digital card quickly, the IR is useful.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Well the IR transmitter was put there for transferring data with other devices and computers, that can do IR data transfers. So it serves its purpose.

It can do the remote control thing if you're close to the devices you're trying to use it on.

I'd rather have it than not. If you run into someone else with a Treo (or another device with IR) and want to send them your digital card quickly, the IR is useful.
    All right. Remote control is out of the picture then. bummer. Oh well universal remotes are cheap, but it would have been cool to show others that the phone could function as a remote as well. As for the digital card, I haven't used that yet. What is a digital card actually?
    All right. Remote control is out of the picture then. bummer. Oh well universal remotes are cheap, but it would have been cool to show others that the phone could function as a remote as well. As for the digital card, I haven't used that yet. What is a digital card actually?
    In your Treo manual, look at the section titled "Beaming Information With IR". That's page 200 of the PDF. It goes for a few pages.
    In general, IrDA devices are not compatible with remotes. But you could control itunes or something on your computer over wifi. But not over IR.
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by samadam View Post
    In general, IrDA devices are not compatible with remotes.
    I have not tried with the 800w, but I used to use my old Treo 600 and Treo 650 to control a TV and Cable TV box.

Been a long time since I used to do that, but there were lots of options with Palm OS.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I've actually been looking for something that's compatible for the 800w as well. Range really isn't the issue. I've been in restaurants on a few occasions (back when I had a 600) where we were the only ones in a section with a TV blaring inappropriate content for my kids. I simply muted the TV . This of course was after asking servers to turn it down with no response. Obviously, if there are others enjoying it, I can always leave and niot jack with the TV. But if it doesn't present an interupption to others, I've used it on a couple of occasion....especially to mess with people when I go to their houses

S
    Quote Originally Posted by sfox View Post
    I've actually been looking for something that's compatible for the 800w as well. Range really isn't the issue. I've been in restaurants on a few occasions (back when I had a 600) where we were the only ones in a section with a TV blaring inappropriate content for my kids. I simply muted the TV . This of course was after asking servers to turn it down with no response. Obviously, if there are others enjoying it, I can always leave and niot jack with the TV. But if it doesn't present an interupption to others, I've used it on a couple of occasion....especially to mess with people when I go to their houses

S
    Now that's a good idea!
    NoviiRemote. The compatibility list does not mention much, so I have no idea if it works with the 800w. And I'm not the one who's going to test to find out either .

For the T-650 (Palm OS), they even made a booster, http://www.novii.tv/palm/blaster/

And here's another I have no idea about: TV remote controller 5.7

And another, RemoteControl II, v2.12

They all do come by way of recommendation, but I have no idea if they'll work on the Treo 800w.

OK, so whoever is willing to take one for the team, you've got a starting point .
    i tried NoviiRemote, it doesn't run on the treo 800w, it installs just fine, but when executing the program, it says the resolution is not compatible with the software. so im hoping noviiremote releases an update to be compatible for phones with smaller screens.
    It's not size in terms of Treo 800w having a smaller screen than some other devices that is the issue. It's that the 800w has a higher screen resolution, Novii needs to catch up.
    Tried RemoteControl II, v2.12 - no go

It installs and runs fine, but it gives a CPU mismatch error (which you can click OK to) and it seems as if it can't communicate with the IR port (in the CPU mismatch error it states something about it disabling the IR port).
    Has anyone found any remote control software that works on the Treo 800w?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast