Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just getting a New Pro, or new to WM?
    Congrats!

Before you load up a bunch of 3rd Party apps, and then get all at Palm or Microsoft,

Do This:

Start by first getting all your personal info, contacts, appointments, etc. on the device.
    And if you have email, an exchange server or otherwise, set it to only retrieve email for the last 3 days max.
    * (I will tell you why in a moment)

Now do a Sprite Backup. Call it ‘Restore Point’ or something.
    Now you can start installing apps, one at a time, doing a Sprite backup after every 2 or 3 apps. I usually name them something like 'Memmaid installed all still good'.
    This is how I approach almost every device.

Whenever I try a new app and something starts acting weird,
    I do a Hard Reset and then a Sprite Restore to my latest 'All Still Good' backup.
    It takes about 5 min to do a HR and do a restore.
    This saves me headaches, and allows me to know with very little effort which app I shouldn't have installed.

* Now the reason I said to set your email to only retrieve the last 3 days max. is because when you do a Hard Reset and then a Sprite Restore back to your ‘Restore Point’, it can take a long time to get all the email synced if you have it set too far back. Once I get most my favorite apps loaded, and I’ve went a few days with no issues, then I set my email to go get all. But if I started having issues again, I always restore to my latest and greatest backup that still had the email set to 3 days back.

If anyone has some addition suggestions, or revisions they think I should make to this post, please reply.

I just find it funny how ones will get their new device, load up a bunch of apps, and then Cry Bug!

In fact someone just posted in another thread that if you call Palm about an issue, the common response by Palm is ‘Hard Reset’
    That’s not a Stupid response on their part, how else are they going to confirm the issue is Pro specific.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 01/26/2009 at 02:53 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
  2. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Great suggestions.

I got mine on Thursday evening and only set up my preference and not load any contacts etc.

On Friday morning I synched with Outlook to get all that data in there. I did my 2 pop3 E-Mails one at time then and then during that day and over the weekend added in all the other third party applications I have on it now.

The only think I didn't do is a Sprite backup before adding the applications.
    Thanks! I am new to both and didn't even know what sprite backup was till now.
    just backed up. Cheers.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Good advice, I always like to take a 'core' install backup snapshot just in case.
    And the best news is Sprite Backup restore feature worked almost perfectly when I used it. The only thing that didn't get restored the exact way I had it was the today screen background. Other than that it was perfect--even the little customizations like font size, signature block in Outlook--which is a pain to insert a bunch of text into by the way.

Sprite also has an auto backup feature that I have set to do weekly and backup to my SD card.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    This is great advice. I wish I had followed it. But since I have a new TP to replace the one Palm says is defective, I will do this for sure.

I have a great example as to why this is so helpful:

So far I have:
    1 unread sms showing in which I can't get rid of. I am going to have to hard Reset.

TeleNav, when I go to Driveto> Address > Speak it of type it, if I hit type it, it now goes back to Today screen. So I need to hard reset.

I tried to install Sling box on my Epix and it crashed and I think left a mess, so I wish I could go back on that one.
    It's a nice phone but I am having trouble customizing Speed Dial to put extra digit to automatically dial, just like the treo 750 or other palm os devices. can someone show me where to locate dial extra digit in speed dial.
    This is my third WM phone, and Sprite BU is the absolute best app on any. I wish I'd had it previously, saves a lot of headaches.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    FedEx just delivered my new Palm Treo Pro (from DELL at $100 off of retail--sorry, I just had to gloat), so I will be following your lead. Lots of common sense....which us "Pro" newbies need. Avoid those "Duh" moments. Thanks for your sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirmish View Post
    It's a nice phone but I am having trouble customizing Speed Dial to put extra digit to automatically dial, just like the treo 750 or other palm os devices. can someone show me where to locate dial extra digit in speed dial.
    I found a solution for the extra digits when dialing. You can use the contacts app. When entering the number add a P for a 2 second pause and a W for a pause that requires you to hit the talk button to continue.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

thankyou for great tip. I hate reinstalling things one at a time. should speed the process in event of tragedy.
    Franklin Planner (Monarch Size)>Royal Organizer>years>>>Treo 650>Treo 680>Treo Pro>BB Bold>Pre3
    thx for all these tips
    Thanks for these tips. Wish January 25th would get here so I can put them to use.
  14.    #14  
    I've noticed in a few threads that ones have said they did a Sprite Restore and certain issues remained and unwanted apps were still on the device.

I should of mentioned that if you just do a Sprite Restore over the top of your Pro's current config it doesn't necessarily delete existing files, but rather does a 'Merge'.

You can either Hard Reset before the Restore.
    (which is the way I do it)

or,
    there's some settings in Sprite Options that you can choose - like; delete all files, and Replace system settings.

I just always felt more comfortable doing a HR and then Restore.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    I found a solution for the extra digits when dialing. You can use the contacts app. When entering the number add a P for a 2 second pause and a W for a pause that requires you to hit the talk button to continue.
    I just tried that in a sequence that made it convenient to us a P and a W. Both worked, with a caveat - there is no onscreen prompt to press the Green button. It just sits there waiting.
    A comma will also work for pause, some apps may not know what to do with it (in my case, Agendus) as they pass the dial string to the dialer. On the other hand, the comma and the letters work well from the dialer and from Speed Dial.

Thanks for the hints. I'd forgotten about the W, and I had a few numbers that needed it.
    I have been spoiled by the simplicity of Resco Backup on Palm OS...

QUestion on SPrite backups... How do selectively restore databases?

Where are the PIMs found? Where are the SMS messages? Favorites and Bookmarks for IE?
    I've had the "Sprite Backup" program on both my previous HTC Apache, and my new fancy Treo Pro. I have never used it, because I have no idea what it does...

...but after reading this thread, I'm getting the idea that it backs up the entire Windows Mobile ROM and applications, which sounds awesome. Is that what it does? Or, if not, what DOES it do?

Thanks from a still-sorta-WM-n00b,
    -Pickle
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Pickle View Post
    ...but after reading this thread, I'm getting the idea that it backs up the entire Windows Mobile ROM and applications, which sounds awesome. Is that what it does?
    yes
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Pickle View Post
    ...but after reading this thread, I'm getting the idea that it backs up the entire Windows Mobile ROM and applications, which sounds awesome. Is that what it does? Or, if not, what DOES it do?
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    yes
    No, the ROM is not backed up. Basically everything except the ROM can be backed up.

You can't backup a Sprint Treo Pro with the 1.04 ROM and restore to a Sprint Treo Pro with the 1.03 ROM and have it upgraded to 1.04 via that method.

Sprite Backup - FAQ
    What is included in the backup?

By default Sprite Backup archives everything except your ROM, Firmware and Operating System.
    And actually, the default settings don't really backup up "all" your PIM data, but if you do a Custom Backup you can set it to really back up ALL your PIM data.

Sprite backup assumes your device can restore the ROM via a hard reset. Sprite can't backup the ROM, but Sprite backup can take care of most everything else.
    So, by default, Sprite Backup just basically backs up all of your apps and settings (like theme, start menu items, today screen items, etc)?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast